Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I buy the 2000 500 4x4 and it develops a bit of a rattle.
call the dealer to confirm a few things via the VIN number as the cylinder says 454cm3 on the right side of it.
The dealer comes back with an engine ser # that doesn't match the VIN ............ Then we call Arctic Cat and they are researching it right now so I can verify that it is a 454 engine in the bike.

I pulled the timing chain adjuster out and used a screw driver to apply pressure to the back of the chain guide to verify that it is indeed a loose chain not piston slap or something else.
Fire the bike up put a bit of pressure on the guide and the noise disappears. raise and lower the RPM a couple times to verify this and noise is gone completely.
I reinstall the auto adjuster and it comes back.

Calling arctic Cat I find out the timing chain is like $250 (for a 500 4x4 ) ........ the gent at the counter actually peeled the AC sticker back revealing the Suzuki sticker and I get the number from him.
I call Suzuki and give them this number and they want $149 for the same chain. So that it fantastic I am thinking but the 454 and the 500 use completely different chains.

Does anyone here know which model of Suzuki engine I would search up to order the chain by so I can make sure I get the right one.
at almost half the price it does make economic sense to go this way but I don't want to order the wrong part

I have been searching for a cross reference table or something to figure this out with no luck.

I anyone can help please let me know.

I figure I will change out gaskets maybe the rings and timing chain while I have it apart after hunting season is done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The 500 uses a different length chain that the 454 engine they are two completely different part numbers in the arctic cat part catalog.
I know that the Eiger engine parts fit some cats as do the ltz engine parts as Suzuki made the motors back then.

The only thing that makes me leery of buying a used chain from Ebay is if it is stretched already then then I am in the same boat I am now.
That would be the reason I am trying to figure out which Suzuki engine used the same part numbers as AC buys them from ZUKI then marks em up

Still waiting on Arctic Cat customer service to verify the engine serial number first then I can go from there
Thanks for the eBay thought though I will check into that once I get verification on engine size from arctic cat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Arctic Cat Customer service got back to me and it does appear that I have a 97 454cm3 engine in my bike.
Not such a bad thing as the bearcat motors weren't Nikasil coated. rebuild should be easier when the time comes.

So a path forward is now good to go. Just have to find a timing chain for this winter after hunting season is done.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The 500 uses a different length chain that the 454 engine they are two completely different part numbers in the arctic cat part catalog.
I know that the Eiger engine parts fit some cats as do the ltz engine parts as Suzuki made the motors back then.

The only thing that makes me leery of buying a used chain from Ebay is if it is stretched already then then I am in the same boat I am now.
That would be the reason I am trying to figure out which Suzuki engine used the same part numbers as AC buys them from ZUKI then marks em up

Still waiting on Arctic Cat customer service to verify the engine serial number first then I can go from there
Thanks for the eBay thought though I will check into that once I get verification on engine size from arctic cat

The 454 is a Suzuki motor but never put in a Suzuki that I know of. Suzuki may have the parts but you won't be able to go pull up another bike from Suzuki and order direct parts like you can with the other Suzuki motors they used. I don't have much experience with the 454 but the 500 motor is very good and much less trouble finding parts. At this point though even with that expensive of a timing chain you may be better going that route than trying to swap 500 motor back in it.

·
Administrator
42,600 Posts
Reactions: Farrix
1 - 8 of 8 Posts