Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
OK so I buy a non running arctic cat quad have no idea engine size, it's or 1 spark plug. So I take of the Carb clean it. Then put it back on and it litterally starts immidietley.
However the plastics are missing and so it's all there minus the plastics. So getting giddy I think time for a play. Before I totally strip it and as, I own a car body shop it's going to get the frame lavished in candy purple with orange springs and axle diff I'll do another colour..
So I jump on it and there's no clutch lever it looks like there never was one. On one side I have a hydraulic brake lever the other side is the go trigger with a sticker saying start in gear option. The gear changer is a rocker style like a 70's Honda c50 70 90 pushed down and of it went but I'm slowing it down by braking fumbling for neutral it's a4 wheel drive has all lights even the metal rear frame and front frame I think whoever owned it. Either sold the plastics or went to spray them and did not everdo them. Maybe lost them...
Questions I could do with help with are....
Is it meant to have a clutch lever there's a reverse lever and hi low lever
Can I get a sports plastic clam I don't mind modifying the rear of the quad...
How do I find out what engine is in it andn
Is it a pre mix fuel and oil if so what ratio
I hope someone can help me. Also as I'm going to use it on the road does anyone know what car alloys will fit onto it.
  1. Thanks all
    w

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about grammer and punctuation. I weld panels on cars and spray them. So it's not that often a write a sentence haha.. As you can see the cat is in really bad condition,but watch this space over the next few weeks..
If you need any more pictures of the engine or frame to give you any help. I shall be happy to take more

Thanks again for any help

·
Registered
167 Posts
Judging by the fact that it has an Outlaw brand master cylinder, full time 4x4 (no shift lever on the left side lower fender), and start in gear, I would say it's a 2001 400 4x4. It should say how many CCs it is on the side of the cylinder. It should have a serial number stamped on the frame by the muffler but I bet it's going to be just about impossible to read due to rust.

It runs on straight gas, 87 octane or better.

It's semi auto, so no clutch lever. 5 forward gears, 1 reverse per range.

The bolt pattern of the wheels are 4x115. I'm not sure if there's any car manufacturers that use that bolt pattern and you may run into issues finding some rims with enough offset for the rear. Maybe someone else can chime in..

I would try to find a set of used panels or fab something up since your a body man. I don't know what the new/used parts availability is like in Europe. AC did sell ATVs under the Massey Ferguson name in Europe for a while so you might have some luck searching for a set of body panels that way. Any body panels from 1996 though 2004 (plus a few models after '04) will "fit" but there was some cosmetic changes in 2002 by putting different fender flares on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the detailed reply.... 👍
I was told by the bloke I bought it off that is pre mix fuel, but it dosnt sound like a 2 stroke.
So that news is great

Yeah the rust is a serious issue I'm taking it to pieces tomorrow and the frame and anything else, is going to the sand blaster in the unt at the bottom of the industrial estate.

I'm hoping all will be revealed as I need to apply for a v5.
It's been sat up as a non runner for yrs, but only needed the Carb cleaning. I'm thinking maybe mxung the fuel with oil caused problems luckily I haven't added any. Due to it not sounding like a 2 stroke. The engine sounds amazing. So basically the brakes is what I use and I'm safe to sit at the lights with it in gear. And it won't damage the clutch or anything else. Now I'm straight with that I'm happy knowing I'm nt gong mad looking for a clutch cable or hydraulics. I shall add pics to this as it gets under way on the restoration of it. I was thinking of making panels cut out on a c&c maybe that's the way to go.

Thank you again for the help it's much appreciated

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yep, shift it down to first at a light; no need to go to neutral. I can't wait to see what you can do with this thing, especially if you make custom body panels. (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually bought it for the engine to go into a dune buggy, but when it came back from the sand blaster "not sent for rust just wanted clean metal" it's been snapped in half and pieced together and the welding well you might have thought he had measured how much wire he cukd use on each disaster.
Needless to say I wouldn't have risked bring pushed about in it. I will one day bored weld it correctly with correct gauge metal. My the monkey metal f a chinese quad or bike handlebar.
So I then took my metal orodder and went akng the arctic car tubing and it luckily only surface rust.
" I've also found a manufactors vin number decal on the frame earlier '.
So today with it being 2.35am in the UK will be up and stripping the quad.
Get it sandblasted then hit it with etch primer and a couple of ltr of filer primer. Before going over the primer with candy coloured lacquer..
I'm actually toying with the idea of buying a 1 piece clam chopping it joing it etc and making it fit to the cat. then use that as a mould and make a fibre glass clam.
But then how wild will it look if i make panels. I can bend the sections where I need them and then weld a bracket onto the frame to the panel but first id better get to sleep to be up at 8.15am I'll take pictures. As I fmgo along thanks for all the help. If you can think off anything else could you let me know. I've find yamaha raptor alloys are 4 x 115

Any input on pictures I upload will also help.

·
Administrator
37,174 Posts
Most mini trucks use 4x115

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ive got some 15” hd alloy’s arctic cat patrern id sell you brand new. But shipping would probably be way too much as im in the states

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts