·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
That looks a lot better !!

·
Registered
46 Posts
to help anyone that is going through this

as of jan 2014 Transport Canada is doing a investigation in the front differantials. I did put a complaint in and Artic Cat called me afterwards and they are buying my 4wheeler and trading me a new 2013 mudpro 1000 for a really good price. If it happened to you don't remove the differantial and make a complaint right away. it took me about 2 months but arctic cat is really pushing to to help those that its happening too.

to make a complaint
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

Reactions: doorfx

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
You got good advice lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Arctic cat diff

So I got my new deferential from the dealer . Now my engine tranny broke a tooth . Arctic is starting to get on my nerves

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got the joy of experiencing a front diff failure this weekend. Locked up solid. Luckily I was only doing about 30k. Got a nice up close view of my racked rad all the same lol. Thankfully I wasn't going any faster.
I've included pics, not sure if its a weld failure or not. Diff is from an 09 TRV 1000.
If ya can give me your guys opinion if it looks like a weld failure it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Auto part

Auto part Ceiling Rim

Rim Architecture Automotive wheel system Auto part Ceiling

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking at buying a 2008 Thundercat and while doing some research on problems it may have I came across this thread. The one I'm looking at only has 379 miles on it. I drove it and it runs great. Any other issues I should ask the guy selling it about? I doubt the pin has been rewelded and it is the original differential. It's a great price, but I don't want to buy something that is going to cost me a fortune in repairs. Thanks..

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Welding the pin is free if you can do it yourself. Also cat has been replacing them when they fail.

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Yes....

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got the joy of experiencing a front diff failure this weekend. Locked up solid. Luckily I was only doing about 30k. Got a nice up close view of my racked rad all the same lol. Thankfully I wasn't going any faster.
I've included pics, not sure if its a weld failure or not. Diff is from an 09 TRV 1000.
If ya can give me your guys opinion if it looks like a weld failure it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

View attachment 234443

View attachment 234444

View attachment 234445
Looks like welds broke to me. One pic is too blurry to tell though. Your welds are about how my welds looked when I took my front diff apart, not very good welds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What is the easiest way to check and weld pin without removing the diff.

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Pull drivers side axle. Pull the actuator off, pull the side cover and remove ring gear assembly. Be sure to note location and orientation of shims. Weld the pin and replace.

www.mymowerparts.com or countrycat for a free downloadable service manual

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the recall for the front differential what would you do if you already replaced it and had to pay the labor.

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Call the number I would like to know as well

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Text Font Document
Here are the numbers to call.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for posting the recall Doorfx. I was planning on pulling mine out yesterday. I was in at the dealer this weekend. They had paper work on file clarifying that there is indeed a recall. Sounds like I get a new front diff. Just need to clarify my VIN then they will order appropriate parts. Thanks to everyone who has gone through this in the past and continued to hassle your dealers. 6 years late is better than never.

Reactions: doorfx

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 · (Edited)
front differential

Finally today October 19, 2014 I received a letter from Arctic cat
that advises me not to operate my 2008 Thundercat
to take it to a dealer and have the front differential repaired or
replaced at their expense.

I welded the pin in my differential in 2009
and have had no problem with it so I don't know what they will do, regardless
,I am glad that I did not have a failure and that my weld worked.

I am also glad that Cat is recalling these 2008 and 2009 differentials
although it seems that their response to my complaints in 2009
(see post # 1) took an awfully long time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Understand they have been overwhelmed by this recall. Local dealer said they are now quoting Dec as availability date for shipping new diff. Dealer said he would order me one and hold for me since I plowed with my rig. Will do fix in the spring. Now gotta hope nothing happens plowing snow. Slow and easy for sure. Letter said up to 40,000 could be effected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Were told Nov. 12th our parts should be in .
Wow 40,000 units to replace ! Just that we are out are unit for deer season then .

161 - 180 of 196 Posts