Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subject problem has been brought up by several members on this Forum and other forums.

It becomes a very serious problem for the front wheels of quads that are capable of upwards of 70 miles per hour to lock up.

It appears that Arctic Cat had a supplier that manufactured differentials with the Spider gear pin improperly welded and when
it breaks loose it locks up the front wheels and breaks the differential case. The problem exists in the 2008 models in at least
the 700 series and the Thundercat series. I am confident that Arctic Cat knows who the owners of these defective machines
are and they need to recall them and fix the problem before someone gets killed.

The Arctic Cat owners that have had a problem need to contact the following and report their experiences:

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Washington D.C. 20207

ATV Recall hotline: 1-800-279-9419

CPSC consumer hotline 1-800-638-2772

CPSC media contact: Mark Ross 1-301-504-7076

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Great info, Thanks for posting it. I belive this topic should be pinned!

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
May want to post this in the Prowler section as well since there have been some having issues there as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also have touched on this topic im sure many of u have heard but i have a meeting with the cpsc mon. and hopefully some good will come of this i will post any new information they give me as to what they plan on doing about this problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I saw a post somewhere on here there was a prowler with stock tires that didn't blow but he had opened the front diff to weld it before it blew and the welds were broken already.
Mine went a couple weeks ago and AC is warrantying it. They sent the wrong diff the first time round. Should have the right one pretty soon I hope. I am itching to go riding again.

Reactions: Rider887

·
Registered
70 Posts
put mine in shop for broken axle, before all my mods, they waranted the axle so i asked about the front diff. issue they said it has to break first then they will fix. this is going to end up like the rhino, some one will get hurt,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have gone through two axles and a front differential within 150 miles on my 09 Mud Pro, I think with the lift kit and the larger tires arctic cats axles do not hold up very well, does anyone have any info on this. I talked to Arctic Cat and they said to only drive in a straight line when the differential lock is on or don't use it at all. I think that is crap.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BCMUDPRO @ Oct 29 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have gone through two axles and a front differential within 150 miles on my 09 Mud Pro, I think with the lift kit and the larger tires arctic cats axles do not hold up very well, does anyone have any info on this. I talked to Arctic Cat and they said to only drive in a straight line when the differential lock is on or don't use it at all. I think that is crap.[/b]
What kind of lift kit do you have on your MP? Axel's usually don't last very long with a lift. Using diff lock. you shouldn't turn the tires all the way, that may cause problems plus with a lift kit on that will make it worse. The axel's are not long enough.

If you take your lift kit off, and take it easy on the throttle, the diff and axels should last quite some time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
On my 08 650 H1 I didn't even have 200 miles before it locked up while I was slowing down before a turn. It was at about 20 mph, and a loud bang. I just about went over the handle bars and almost bid an endo. I keep thinking what could've happened at a faster speed. Like 30 seconds before it happened I was going 50 mph. Scary.

Reactions: iminc

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (naultaaron @ Nov 8 2009, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On my 08 650 H1 I didn't even have 200 miles before it locked up while I was slowing down before a turn. It was at about 20 mph, and a loud bang. I just about went over the handle bars and almost bid an endo. I keep thinking what could've happened at a faster speed. Like 30 seconds before it happened I was going 50 mph. Scary.[/b]

Unfortunately, you are one of many that had the front diff. fail on their 08. My neighbors 08 700EFI TRV exploded the front diff crossing the street to my garage, he was just going to have me change his oil, now it's back to the dealer for him.

The post from BCMUDPRO is an entire different story. When you take an atv and add a lift kit, it changes the suspension geometry. Plus having the wheels turned fully with full diff. lock is asking for a problem. You can't blame Arctic Cat for that.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
yes lots have welded it before it could let go.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Pictures of the piss poor welds on a 2008 Thundercat 3.1 differential. This ought to scare you if you ride over 5 MPH or so. <grin> Are other years and models the same? ummm Maybe, Maybe not. But does seem like it's been more of a problem on the 2008 models but not unheard of for other years either.

[attachment=138950:p1020257.JPG] [attachment=138951:p1020258.JPG]
[attachment=138952:p1020259.JPG] [attachment=138953:p1020260.JPG]

Also a good testament for Redline Shock proof gear lube, 1700 miles on this differential, several hundred miles in 4x4. There is No, ZERO gear tooth wear. Not even any wear marks, shiny teeth or nothing that would indicate wear or friction. The teeth look completely un-used and new. Also the reason for the funny color, Redline shock proof gear lube is Pink

Attachments

Reactions: iminc

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
A good friend just bought a new 09 Mud pro and 5 days old blew the front diff
[attachment=139258:11_15_2009_018.JPG]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I have heard the MP's are doing it because of the SLD
You are running along in 4wd and you hit the gas hard, the SLD slips and put s all of the torque to the front axle....
Then BANG...busted diff
Orrrrrrrrr
They didn't fix the weld problem for '09

They really need to invest in some heavier duty front and rear diffs for these quads.

WVABEER---Keep us posted on what actually broke in the front diff on that 550

BTI

1 - 20 of 196 Posts