Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have just recently picked up a 1990 El Tigre EXT 530 non mtcat or special I think. The guy hasn't had it running this season yet. I got it home at dusk fired it up with ether . Ran but very lean. Got it the shed. The next day pulled one carb off clutch side. Looked ok. Gasline was completely kinked off to that carb. Got it together took it out ran well. Temp light came on after about 10 mins of riding. Stopped temp light went off. Started out again. Light back on. This time it was losing water. From the hose between the carbs. I think! Pulled it off and got a used one. Put that on. Checked the compression got 120 clutch side. 120 on recoil side
Now its flooding like mad. Won't open up at all. Have to get the carbs off again. I had to pull them off to get to the hose. Just let them sit in the belly pan area. Thinking floats are stuck.

So thats what I know so far.

Here are my questions.
Good starting point for the air mixture on this sled?

Airbox is big and kinda annoying to reach anything on the motor. Can I pull it out of there for the testing stage?
If so how?

If this hose doesn't solve the cooling problem is there a way to flush the system. The heat exchanger was warm to the touch.

Track slip
Track seems to slip on heavy throttle deep snow.
Feel 2 very hard thuds. In the tunnel area. Track does not appear to be loose.
What could cause this?

We've always had old old sleds that were running for a day broke down for 2 as kids.The ones that people gave us as junk or 20 bucks.
This and the 95 XCR 600
I picked up recently is the newest sleds that I've ever been around.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Those air boxes were in the way at times. The air intake into the box is actually down next to the left side of the gas tank. Take the seat off, and the dash/gas tank cover and you can get the air box out if you want. I can look for my 89 530 carb settings tonight in my repair manual. Should be the same for the 90.

FYI I dont recomend removing the air box unless you want to re-jet and re-clutch the sled. I would do your testing with the air box on IMO.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Air box is a pain in the butt and even more to take off its wedged under the steering support and you have take things apart to get it out. You could try just taking the rubber boots off for access but dont run it for long or fast like that. When you get a new sled take the carbs apart and clean them real good. Pilot jet is small and can cause mixture problems if dirty. One turn out on the air screw is a good place to start. When you put the carb back on check that you didnt wrap it around the oil cable pulling the pump more open may just seem to flood. Check that your chokes arnt hung up too. To bleed your water jack the front of the sled off the ground and let it run with the water cap off to to let any air out

·
Registered
477 Posts
first off, please do not use ether. get a squirt bottle with mixed gas in it.

clean the carbs including the pilot jets. make sure the floats are set level and the choke adjustments are correct.
It is kind of a pain to remove that airbox, I would leave it on. but make sure its not filled with mouse nest I guess.
for the track, lift the rear end off the ground on a stand. Pull down in the middle of the track. Cant remember what deflection should be but its not much, maybe inch or two(compared to the older sleds you are used to). Also make sure all the wheels spin freely and everything looks in place, and is greased. Usually there is a piece in the front of that rear suspension that brakes about every 100 miles. Right in the front middle between the limiter straps area. That may be your problem.

good luck and keep asking any questions!
Jeff

·
Registered
477 Posts
looks like we all responded at once! where in MN are you located? Im in Moorhead and will be in the Brainard area this weekend.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Carb specs as promised for an 89 eltigre 530

Low altitude settings

Main jet - 240
Pilot jet - 30
Needle Jet - P-5 (480)
Jet needle/clip position - 6DH7/ position 4
Pilot air screw (turns out) - 1
Idel speed - 2000-2500
Engagement rpm - 3200-3600
peak rpm - 7250

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the replies. I will let you guys know this weekend when I get a chance to look at it again.
I'm in the south central part Winthrop to be exact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I went threw the carbs. Everything looked correct. Put them back in still would not open up. Then all of sudden it did. Took it out of the shed. Ran like crap again. Put it back in tinkered with this, checked that. Pulled it out ran really good for abit. Took it out a few times around the farm. Started to run like crap again. Bog and only pull about 4-5000 rpms. This time it was still running I reached down wiggled the wires coming out of the CDI box. It snapped to life like a tiger! Just about got away from me as I was hitting the throttle thur the bog. Just to be sure I wiggled it again and it snapped back to the bog. By then it was getting late so tomorrow I'll look at them better.
I really thought this was fuel related . Oh how wrong I was... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
603 Posts
I can tune a carb & to some extent a clutch, but once you get to electricity its out of my league. Glad you found the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi grimmer i had a 5000 eltigre do that to me. the choke cable was misadjusted or stuck. on mine one cylinder was flooding so why the sled was running on one cylinder i unhooked the gasline from the flooded side and the gas burnt of that cylinder the sled run super so i tore the carb down it was clean as a whistle. put it back together unscrewed choke cable of that carb and the sled run awesome . i adjusted that side and fixed it. the biggest bummer was i bought this motor off the internet and put it in the sled. the previous motor was doing the same thing i though it was electrical and give up on it. some dude came and bought all my old cat stuff and i sold the motor. iam a real dumb f--k because that motor had twice the ass as the one i got off the internet.

jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts