Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arctic Cat Announces Engine and Co-Brand Agreements with Yamaha Motor Corporation | Business Wire

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Arctic Cat Inc. (NASDAQ: ACAT) announced today that it has entered into an engine supply agreement with Yamaha Motor Corporation, expanding Arctic Cat’s purchase of Yamaha snowmobile engines starting in the 2014 model year. Arctic Cat initially entered into an agreement to purchase Yamaha 123cc 4-stroke engines for its youth snowmobile in 2009. This agreement has now been expanded to include select 4-stroke engines from Yamaha.
Arctic Cat’s Snow Division Vice President and General Manager Brad Darling said, “The engine purchase agreement with Yamaha, combined with the engines that we plan to manufacture in house, will provide Arctic Cat’s customers with the most well-rounded engine choices when it comes to technology, reliability and horsepower.”
Arctic Cat’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Claude Jordan stated, “Our current Arctic Cat snowmobile chassis is renowned for its lightweight, bump control and precision handling. Combine that with the new performance engine options from Yamaha, as well as our state-of-the-art engine manufacturing facility in St. Cloud, Minnesota, and we guarantee there will be exciting years ahead for Arctic Cat enthusiasts.”
In addition to expanding the engine supply agreement with Yamaha, Arctic Cat also has expanded a co-branding agreement to build select Yamaha snowmobiles in Arctic Cat’s Thief River Falls, Minn., factory according to Yamaha’s specifications. This agreement began in 2012, with Arctic Cat building the Yamaha SRX 120 youth model snowmobile, and now will include full-size performance snowmobiles starting with model year 2014. These snowmobiles will be built to Yamaha specifications using Yamaha 4-stroke engines.
“We are pleased that our relationship with Yamaha continues to grow and with the opportunities ahead for both companies,” added Jordan. “Going forward, we believe this relationship will provide tremendous value to Arctic Cat, our customers, our dealers and our shareholders.”
Arctic Cat Inc. designs, engineers, manufactures and markets all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), side-by-sides and snowmobiles under the Arctic Cat® brand name, as well as related parts, garments and accessories. Its common stock is traded on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the ticker symbol “ACAT.” More information about Arctic Cat and its products is available at Arctic Cat.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I think it's great that both companies have the vision to go outside their back yard in an effort to provide better products/services to their customers. Right now I see Yammi being the bigger winner in this, unless Yammi has had the time to test and research the current F chassis to cure some of it's current issues that are causing a lot of riders' headaches. Other than the 600 DI engine, Cat doesn't really need engine help, until '15 from what I hear. Hopefully Cat gave Yammi a truckload of the F turbo sleds this winter and said "here, help us with our issues", lol.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
And know its down to 3 companys.:wow2:

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
I'll be at the AC dealer snow convention in Vegas next wk, so I'm anxiously waiting to see what motor options are being offered for the 2014 lineup.Clap

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Kinda off topic, but I know exactly where that engine plant is in St. Cloud. I drive right past it on I-94, on Opportunity Drive. I didn't realize it was the main engine plant for the sleds. Cool!

I have a friend that was thinking of jumping green for a new Yammi, cuz he likes the Phazer and Nytro. Well, now he can kinda have best of both, haha.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yami is the winner in this. Its still not making sense to me. Yami could always build engines and we say 'hey here's the best chassis on snow.' Now yami sells more sleds and cat gets what again? !? I'm a cat guy all the way and AC is gonna have to sell this to me a lot better.

Cat would have been better off buying out yamis snow division and then use them to help supply motors.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yami is the winner in this. Its still not making sense to me. Yami could always build engines and we say 'hey here's the best chassis on snow.' Now yami sells more sleds and cat gets what again? !? I'm a cat guy all the way and AC is gonna have to sell this to me a lot better.

Cat would have been better off buying out yamis snow division and then use them to help supply motors.
Cat is getting clean (who really cares since sledding is such a small amount of emmissions anyways) two stroke tech and more diverse four strokes to sell which is a GREAT thing. Cat is making money buy building Yamaha sleds as well. What is there to sell?I dunno

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cat is getting clean (who really cares since sledding is such a small amount of emmissions anyways) two stroke tech and more diverse four strokes to sell which is a GREAT thing. Cat is making money buy building Yamaha sleds as well. What is there to sell?I

I'm talking from brand loyalty standpoint. I bleed green but don't accept everything that cat does as gospel. More diverse options is ideal but from a competitor in your own industry...that's weird. Especially in this day n age whr brand loyalty is going out the window. I see it all the time. Cat is basically enabling yami to sell more sleds than they ever have before. If non brand loyal guys jump from procross to viper-cat loses money. I'm hopeful this works out but I'm not smiling about it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Co-branding is everywhere these days. Look at the auto industry. In many instances it leads to better products. Yami has it's good points but it's chassis' was not one of them. I see fewer and fewer Yamis out on the trail when at one time (back in the late '70s when I got into snowmobiling) they were everywhere. I was really hoping Yamaha entered a joint venture with Harley Motorcycles because I always wanted a Yama - Davidson.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I'm talking from brand loyalty standpoint. I bleed green but don't accept everything that cat does as gospel. More diverse options is ideal but from a competitor in your own industry...that's weird. Especially in this day n age whr brand loyalty is going out the window. I see it all the time. Cat is basically enabling yami to sell more sleds than they ever have before. If non brand loyal guys jump from procross to viper-cat loses money. I'm hopeful this works out but I'm not smiling about it.
Brand loyalty??? Get over it. Higher stakes here than your loyalty. Companies will go under if they just rely on "loyalty." Today's consumers want the next great thing. I'd rather give my money to a company that continuously tries to earn it than to one "just because" I bought from them before. This can only strengthen both divisions in my eyes. Cat needs engines for '15, and not just the 600. Yamaha folks want a new chassis...great partnership.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I guess you didn't read my post very well. I said brand loyalty doesn't exist as it did in the past which is why many people would be willing to just jump into a viper for many reasons. Maybe thr is a yami dealer closer to them so they switch. Sure cat made money on the chassis they sold em but that's one less green on the trail. The press release sounds wonderful but lets also think about other factors here. It's ok to be a little critical. Really its ok.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am fan of both, although my heart is with Cat. I think Cat could really make use of the Yamaha 500 engine as they have been really poor on the low end motors and I know Yamaha would love to sell a bunch of those engines as it stands right now. I am thinking that in the first year Yamaha and Cat may not compete similar models too much, but next year will be a different story.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I never had a Yamaha that I really enjoyed riding..the handling was never great.i drove an 800 xf sp cat last week.it was amazing.i guess Yamaha has a great handler now.should be good with that engine.i hope cat takes the bigger Yamaha engine and turbos it.that would be insane,in a good way...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Fijjitty was there today....and now the lucky bastard is out ridin them as we speak!......you can bet, he will have a full report soon...if he is permitted to do so, , c'mon kary, were waiting

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I guess you didn't read my post very well. I said brand loyalty doesn't exist as it did in the past which is why many people would be willing to just jump into a viper for many reasons. Maybe thr is a yami dealer closer to them so they switch. Sure cat made money on the chassis they sold em but that's one less green on the trail. The press release sounds wonderful but lets also think about other factors here. It's ok to be a little critical. Really its ok.
You're right, as long as people know the difference between critical and narrow mindedness. One allows progression, the other doesn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts