Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
My 2014 700 TRV hits the rev limiter at 6,500 rpms, suspect your Alterra is same. Would guess, even if you could raise it, you'd be pushing it. It's a 1 cylinder motor. Rather, you can reclutch for more top speed or more bottom end. I have a Speedwerx "Hypershift kit" in my TRV, made it quicker, but gave up some top speed. Rev limiter is protecting your motor from destruction.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
851 Posts
Speedwerx or magnum tuning? A better option would be clutching. Stock from the factory they are a little sluggish but that can be fixed with some clutch work. I would contact airdam clutches and ask him about how to spruce it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speedwerx or magnum tuning? A better option would be clutching. Stock from the factory they are a little sluggish but that can be fixed with some clutch work. I would contact airdam clutches and ask him about how to spruce it up.

Did clutching give more top speed?

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
851 Posts
I haven’t done any clutch work to my 550s yet. I’ve just been doing a bunch of research on it.

Here’s a response I got from Adam at airdam
“clocking the secondary and lightening the rollers will pick the RPM up and make the machine feel more peppy, but it wont actually make it take off easier or go any faster. If you want to actually make the clutch work better and perform better you really need to go thru the clutch and do some machine work and let me do some tricks to it to make it work better and actually be faster and stronger.”

From what I’ve found, machining the clutch face angles is what will help performance including the roller weight and secondary clocking all combined. I would shoot him a message with what your machine is and what you want it to do and he’ll get you set up. His prices look pretty good too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts