Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought this ATV a few months ago and it started ok at the elders place. Brought it home, started up, then I washed it and started having issues starting, but would eventually start. I thought it was a battery issue or a plug. I changed oils, new plug, new battery and would start ok, but never really rode it because of Covid. This weekend I try to start it up to go for a ride and it would not start...It actually starts sometimes but turns off in a sec.

I emptied the fuel tank last night to rule out old gas. I changed plugs again in case the one I got was bad. Charged battery up but still.

When I removed the air filter and sprayed some sea foam in the throttle body, it started up right away and would run as long as i continued to spray Sea Foam.
Does this mean the fuel pump is not supplying enough gas?

I do not have a gas pressure gauge, but I guess will order one if needed.

I did notice VOLT on the cluster once and ec41, ec42, ec43 and ec99. When I jumped the diag port, I get 00 which means no code in memory, but the needle does jump and get EFI message also. A thread I read mentioned anytime you have VOLT it means the regulator/rectifier...true??

Sorry for all the info all over the place, but I read a lot of other threads and tried many things so trying to cover those and rule them out.

Please let me know if any ideas

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
Volt usually means a low battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be it was running out of juice while trying to start it. I only got the VOLT error a couple times. Any thoughts on the rest? What did i miss and where do i go from here?

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
It’s not getting fuel so the pump or regulator is where to start. You can probably borrow a fuel pressure tester from a parts store.

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
That doesn’t look like nearly enough fuel flow. You need 43 psi constant. You can’t have the fuel teed off like that. You need to make it a closed system to see the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does this pretty much mean its the fuel pump or still can be something else?

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
You won’t know until you do a proper pressure test

1 - 8 of 8 Posts