Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 4x4. Unfortunately I racked it into stump under the snow and bent one of the upper A-Arm Mounts. I pulled it as straight as I could but the mount was weakened and rebent after a few rides. Anyway...

I cut the mount off and fabricated a new one out of 1/4" angle and welded it in what seems to be a pretty accurate position/angle.

When I put with the wheel back on, the wheel was pretty toe out so I adjusted the tie rod and did a quick alignment (using string method). Visually the machine looks correct, sits well but it wants to pull. It's not pulling all the time but once it starts turning left, it wants to jump left... so at this point, I can ride it but have to be really careful or it will try to turn hard, not keep tracking straight. I used to be able to take my hands off the bars and track pretty straight. Now I'd be in a tree.

I'm trying to diagnose the issue. I guess the question is even if the new mount was slightly off, could this be the cause? I just seems like tolerances shouldn't be that exact assuming alignment is done???

I ordered... new tie rod ends, A Arm bushing, ball joints and upper/lower shock bushings as they are due for replacement.

What else? The A arms although in a crash look fine. Could it be the axle?. Once I get all the new parts installed I can reevaluate but still wondering if that mount was off slightly, would that cause this.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Worst case, you may need a new frame. Regardless, you need a wee bit of toe in with your weight on the seat and a bit of positive caster, right and left should be the same. Try playing with toe in if right/left caster is the same, 2-4 degrees positive, I believe. You might want to try some of RTR's steerlite bushings, once you determine that everything is ok. Rick is a vendor here.

·
Administrator
37,291 Posts
Check caster AND camber.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I would say the side its pulling to is still slightly toe out. Also if i was going to do a repair like that i would have run a section of flatbar from one mounting point to the other and extend past a few inches if possible and tack it to the frame.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I had a rear a arm that was bent but couldn't tell looking at it. I found it by measuring from a common point on the atv to both side. It was almost an inch off when I put the new one on top of it. Hopefully it's just in the adjustment but an a arm isn't that much money either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would suspect that the entire geometry of the frame is compromised.

I have a friend with a Cat 650 - ended up kissing a tree (not his doing, loaned it out).
It folded the lower front a-arm, bent the frame, among other things.

Since all he uses it for is to plow his driveway, he figured a little creative welding and some tie rod adjustments, and his plow rig was good to go. He planned never to trail ride it but, plowing the drive at 3 mph should be no problem.
Welding some a-arm mounts to the frame, cutting and welding an extension the lower a-arm to get things as straight as they could appear, followed by tie rod adjustments....all looked pretty good. The only issue seemed to be that the front right tire was trailing slightly behind the other.
No worries though...everything looked straight.

Moved forward OK, not trail worthy but OK.

Put it in reverse and backing slowly almost rips the bars out of your hands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking MPJ may be correct.

1. I replaced all bushings, tie rod ends and ball joints while it was apart
2. I adjusted the alignment to the best I could... It tracked straight when taking hands off the bars
3. Everything is now very tight...

The problem is that it wants to turn. Yes it tracks straight but once I go into a turn it wants to aggressively turn. I rode it a bunch on the trails and it's pretty good but I am always aware of the possibility of it turning too abruptly. For instance I hit a muddy area probably like 10 mph and the tire dug in and turned hard to the right enough that it stopped and I got jerked forward. It sits well but it does look like the left front wheel is sitting slightly back compared to the right wheel. The bolt on the top on the right spindle is perpendicular, the bolt on the left is slightly forward.

The A Arms both looked straight. I'd hate to start buying more parts and end up with the same result. It might just be a tweaked frame...

I guess in the end, can I make this more stable with a little more toe out? It may never be the same machine but I would like a bit more stability. Or is it tome to say goodbye and make this a plowing quad only. I would hate that as this machine runs like a champ.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Check the user manual for that machine. Some are toe out some are in..

Measure center of front hub to center of rear hub. This should tell u if frame is tweeked

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
ATV's are sensitive to caster. My 700 Diesel steered like a 10 ton truck with manual steering until I took out some of the positive caster. Shimming the upper A-Arms forward 1/10" was day and night different. Just thinking that you might be able to tweak yours easily once you determine what the caster is. It certainly does not take a lot to make a big change, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The caster would make sense based on how easily it turns... and the spindle is visually positive... I guess the next move is to see why. I'll have to make the measurements and also determine if my A Arms are indeed straight and if so, maybe the mounts/frame are bent. Maybe I'm focused on the upper arm as that mount was visually bent and the lower was pushed back slightly as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm dealing with the same issue. I've gone thru this forum and crossed everything off the list. Its over steering to a point when I hit second gear, it folded in, nose dived and sent me flying off it. I'm stumped, only thing i see that doesn't look right is the location of the ball joints. Looks like hub isn't positioned correctly. My 2010 cat 500 they are directly over, straight up and down,(12 o'clock 6 oclock) this 03 is like 1 o'clock and 7 oclock. Im stumped. What was your conclusion and and help with this would be well appreciated

·
Registered
10,496 Posts
I'm dealing with the same issue. I've gone thru this forum and crossed everything off the list. Its over steering to a point when I hit second gear, it folded in, nose dived and sent me flying off it. I'm stumped, only thing i see that doesn't look right is the location of the ball joints. Looks like hub isn't positioned correctly. My 2010 cat 500 they are directly over, straight up and down,(12 o'clock 6 oclock) this 03 is like 1 o'clock and 7 oclock. Im stumped. What was your conclusion and and help with this would be well appreciated
I know it’s a similar topic but maybe start your own thread so we know new posts are directed at your issue.

·
Administrator
37,291 Posts
X2^^^^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts