Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hay i have a arctic cat 400 fis 2005 with the digital speedometer and i went to start it today and now there nothing on my speedometer screen it dosent make sence cuase two days ago i started it and it worked please help the light on it still comes on when i turn my headlights on

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Check your accessory fuse, it may have blown

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
hay i have a arctic cat 400 fis 2005 with the digital speedometer and i went to start it today and now there nothing on my speedometer screen it doesn't make sense cause two days ago i started it and it worked please help the light on it still comes on when I turn my headlights on
Quite often when jump starting from a running automobile or connecting up to a high amperage low quality voltage battery charger, the LCD display can be hit with a high voltage or perhaps a AC voltage instead of DC voltage. It is believed by many that the LCD has built in electrical protection that shuts it down or off in advent of high voltage or bad voltage.

While you did not say you were jump starting it, taking the chance you might of?..... When the LCD shuts down it can often be reset by disconnecting the battery cables and leaving it disconnected overnight with key on or by disconnecting both battery cables from the battery and touching the two cables together for 5 minutes with the key on. Then reconnect the cables to a freshly recharged battery. Whether or not the LCD display actually has a protection circuit or not this trick often restores or resets a failing LCD display. It may be that the micro-controller built inside needs reset with a power off reset. Might work if the LCD shuts down or needs reset from low voltage while trying to start from a weak battery too. I had the display on my Tcat go blank once when just starting it and stayed blank after starting. My battery was low from a lot of winch use earlier in the day and was no where near a battery charger and I didn't try to jump stat either. The overnight reset procedure worked for me. Worth a try anyhow.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My 05 500 did the same thing but would work one time and not the next. I removed all the plastics and found broken and rubbed through wires along frame and where the harness goes over the frame and into the fuse box.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea the battery did go dead from plowing to so hooked a battery charger so that might be it i will try it and let you know thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I tried both procedures but did not work any other suggestions and should I have the key on before I disconnect the battery cables
]

·
Administrator
38,873 Posts
No never with the key on!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Like I said earlier, remove the plastics and check the wiring. Look above the engine around the upper engine mount, the harness rubs on the bracket there and where the harness exits the fuse box and goes over the frame. These seem to be problem areas I found on several cats.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Did you take the plastics off or are you just looking at what you can see?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did get it fixed i took a closer look at the wireing and sure enough there was a wire rubed up aginst the motor and it was disconnected sorry i doubted you catcountry

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just glad you found it. Every spring I strip my bike and go through it, it can make a huge difference in how your bike lasts. As you can see below I just started, also building a custom front bumper will post pics when done.

Attachments

Reactions: mliedel14

·
Administrator
38,873 Posts
X2....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts