Administrator
42,284 Posts
Awesome!!! Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
nice video definately helps show the stator and flywheel

Hey guys,
Here is a video I shot on troubleshooting an intermittent spark problem I had on a customer's 400 4X4 automatic. Hope this maybe helps someone down the road.

Link to video below,
Arctic Cat 400 4X4 Ignition Problem (Flywheel Magnets) - YouTube

I have a 2007 250 that has no spark and recently tore cover off to inspect, cant really see any damage to flywheel but did find a little round plastic piece about the size of the trigger box circle tab . I took case off because it failed check for stator using (blue/yellow wire and green/yellow) I crank engine and zero voltage. How do I know whats bad , flywheel or stator?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Very Nice Video work, very well done.

Now do one for carburetor overhauls. I'd would do one but don't have the video equipment.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
This is without a doubt the most informative and helpful video I've seen here. Well done,and thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Great Vid, thanks for sharing! I had a 2000 Arcitc Cat 300 4x4 manual shift, it had the Suzuki King Quad engine on it, that ended up getting a very irregular miss to it, which would sometimes cause it to stall at idle. couldnt notice it at speed though, went over carb and valves many times, I wonder if that could have been the same problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great vid, thank you.

I have read that the newer 400's had a updated flywheel installed at the factory to correct this problem.

Does anyone happen to know what year they started using the updated flywheel?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
good to know thanks!!!

My 2003 400 arctic cat automatic 4x4 has a problem of shutting down after about 15-20 minutes. It will start to back fire a couple of times then dies. I wait about 15 minutes and it will start again. This is my first atv and I'm not sure where to start looking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is a great video. It seems more like my 2007 400 FIS arctic cat has that problem. If I find the magnets loose, I am contemplating using jbweld to glue the magnets back in. I was wondering what people think of that? Would it work? Maybe I would have to degrease some parts for it to hold. It is advertised as being quite strong.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was wondering if to take a look at these magnets does the ATV need to be on its side, or will all the gears etc. fall off into a jigsaw puzzle? I don't have enough room in my trailer to tip it over and live in an apartment. So I don't have place where I can tip it over and leave it like that for a while. And I think it is too heavy for 1 person to tip it over by themselves anyways. Perhaps it needs to be on its side to seat any gaskets properly to keep them from falling out of position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don,

Just 2 let u know it DOES NOT need 2 be on its side. Yes, be careful as you remove the flywheel cover and then snap a photo ( or 2 or 3) just in case anything would happen to fall out of place. The gears and such are not so small or similar that you will have any probs if u have the photo. Then if you will be waiting on parts ( and a Artic gear puller (req'd)) just throw an old towel or t-shirt over the crankcase to keep out debris until u get back to it. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does the magneto rotor remover (p/n 0444-075) tool include the crankshaft protector?

Another tool is also mentioned a side case puller (p/n 0644-262) and a 6mm adapter. Is the 6mm adapter supposed to be in my toolbox or is that included with the puller.

I may not need the rotor remover if I am going to permanently reglue the loose magnets. It might be easier to do that if it is removed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been reading through this procedure on how to get to the magneto. It seems that the cover that I have to remove, has an oil dip stick on it. Does that mean that I have to drain all the oil out first? I did not see this mentioned in the procedure in the manual.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Does the magneto rotor remover (p/n 0444-075) tool include the crankshaft protector?
Yes it does, my puller was out on loan but on it's way back right now, I should have it back tomorrow or Friday. I can mail it to you if you want to rent it.

Another tool is also mentioned a side case puller (p/n 0644-262) and a 6mm adapter. Is the 6mm adapter supposed to be in my toolbox or is that included with the puller.
You don't really need this tool to get the side cover off and no there is not going to be one in your tool kit.

I may not need the rotor remover if I am going to permanently reglue the loose magnets. It might be easier to do that if it is removed.
I don't think JB is going to work but if you want to give it a shot you would have to remove the flywheel but your right it might be easier if it was off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.