Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 400, it has the manual footshift transmission and I have been trying to diagnose a problem that the ATV has been having for a while now and it is driving me NUTS..

Let me start by saying that it has a brand new carburetor, new spark plug, new air filter, new battery, and fresh gas..

The ATV starts up no problem and idles fine.. I can rev the engine up to the rev limiter with no issues while in Neutral with no problem... I can shift into Reverse and give it all the throttle it wants as well with no problem...

The problem starts when I shift it into H or L forward gear. It runs fine until I hit about half throttle and then it’s like the engine starts to bog or cut out, it won't die it just acts like its hitting the rev limiter way too early, shift into second gear and same thing runs fine all the way up to the same RPM and then it hits the limiter, does the same thing in every single gear.. In reverse it will run normally. I can lift the rear end up on jacks and replicate the issue.

As I said I’ve cleaned and eventually replaced the carb, inspected wiring harness, checked grounds and looked for loose connections, cleaned fuel and ran sea foam through system, replaced air filter, got a new battery, replaced spark plug and basically I’m pretty much at a loss at this point after trying the basic fuel/air things. I’m thinking it could be some sort of electrical/ignition problem but I’m really not sure where to begin.

I would have already taken it to the dealer but my local Arctic Cat dealership went out of business years ago and there are none around me now that even work on these ATVs. If anyone has any advice or has experienced anything like this I would greatly appreciate any input.

·
Administrator
36,313 Posts
Check the diodes in your fuse box. They all have to face the same direction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I checked the fuse box, all fuses are good and the diodes are not switched around..

Could this be some sort of issue with the CDI? What setting would cause the ATV to limit the RPMs in FWD gear? Reverse override?

·
Administrator
36,313 Posts
Press the reverse override and hold it while driving and see if it does it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was reading a thread where someone had a similar issue and one of the guys actually suggested doing this and it worked.. However, mine doesn’t have a reverse override switch (the yellow button near the kill switch), mine is a manual, and I think only the Autos have that option.

It makes good sense tho, almost as if reverse override is engaged and it’s limiting the RPMs in FWD gear instead of R, and like I said I can shift into reverse and it doesn’t cut out any which really leads me to believe this is somehow switched if I can just figure out how

·
Administrator
36,313 Posts
True I forgot about that.
It could be a bad diode.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Do you have the VP model without speedo or the FIS model. Im wondering if you have the FIS that it’s a short in the speed sensor assuming speed is not indicated while in reverse. If VP, a short in FWD indicator circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Do you have the VP model without speedo or the FIS model. Im wondering if you have the FIS that it’s a short in the speed sensor assuming speed is not indicated while in reverse. If VP, a short in FWD indicator circuit.
What is the difference between the FIS model and the VP model? I am assuming that FIS stands for "fully independent suspension", which mine is, and mine also has the digital speedometer gauge and 5 speed manual trans with H, L, and R.

Any ideas how would I go about troubleshooting the speed sensor or FWD indicator circuit?

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
VP is bare bones unit without Digital guage. It will only have lights telling you what gear you're in. Rear Suspension is also a SRA, solid rear axle.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I forgot about the troubleshooting. Not sure if ohm tests are in the service manual for the speed sensor. Service manuals can be downloaded from country cat . com. At home page at top under technical information

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram the manual has a reverse switch and a gear position switch. I did not see any type of speed sensor. Check the black wire and the red/yellow wire between these switches and the CDI.

Also you may want to try applying the foot brake while going forward to see if that causes a change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will take a look at the wiring from the reverse and gear position switches. I will also try to apply the foot brake and see if it makes any difference. I don't have a manual for this thing, obviously misplaced it throughout the years, probably would be in my best interest to download one.

I have read numerous threads on here of guys with similar bogging/cutting out issues with their quads in FWD gear, 99% of the time it ends up being the diode for their reverse override is switched in the fuse box, however those are all automatics. Obviously the manuals are different and this could be a completely different issue all together. I'll just have to start trying to narrow it down. I appreciate all the help and input so far from everyone.

For the record mine is the 2006 400 4x4 Manual Trans FIS Cat Green

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2006 400, it has the manual footshift transmission and I have been trying to diagnose a problem that the ATV has been having for a while now and it is driving me NUTS..

Let me start by saying that it has a brand new carburetor, new spark plug, new air filter, new battery, and fresh gas..

The ATV starts up no problem and idles fine.. I can rev the engine up to the rev limiter with no issues while in Neutral with no problem... I can shift into Reverse and give it all the throttle it wants as well with no problem...

The problem starts when I shift it into H or L forward gear. It runs fine until I hit about half throttle and then it’s like the engine starts to bog or cut out, shift into second gear and same thing runs fine all the way up to a certain RPM and then it cuts out bogs and sputters, does the same thing in every single gear, almost like it’s going into some sort of “limp mode”..

As I said I’ve cleaned and eventually replaced the carb, inspected wiring harness, checked grounds and looked for loose connections, cleaned fuel and ran sea foam through system, replaced air filter, got a new battery, replaced spark plug and basically I’m pretty much at a loss at this point after trying the basic fuel/air things. I’m thinking it could be some sort of electrical/ignition problem but I’m really not sure where to begin.

I would have probably already taken it to the dealer but my local Arctic Cat dealership went out of business years ago and there are none around me now that work on these ATVs. If anyone has any advice or has experienced anything like this I would greatly appreciate any input.
I had 3 separate cases this past year, 2 motorcycles and one ATV, that all acted the same way. Just a little differently from each other. Just enough to have me pulling my little remaining hair out each time. Each case was ultimately solved by replacing the ignition coil. They all tested perfect on the meter, but failed under various load conditions. May be or not be your problem, I'm just relaying a similar experience.
Your 400 is in the year range known for having bad flywheels. I have had one in that would start and run, up to a point, with the magnets shifted on the flywheel. That is definetly the first place to look if you know (or don't know) nothing has been done. It is worth the price of a new gasket and oil change just to be sure and rule it out. If yours still has the exposed magnets, check it for even spacing. If you can't tell, grab each one and give it a good tug to see if the glue has come loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That is very interesting, I have suspected a faulty ignition coil as well as the magnets/stator causing a faulty ignition sequence.. I have also been reading up a lot and have seen some instances where the gear position sensor was bad on the ATV and was causing the rev limiter to kick in while in H or L fwd gear, I do know that mine says "E" when in reverse instead of saying "R" which is supposedly a sign of a bad sensor, I'm not sure if the cutting out/rev limiter issue would be related to this or not.

It could be any of these things, but it does sound like I need to split the case in half this weekend and at least take a look at the magnets/stator as well as the gear position sensor and wires and go from there. It isn't anything obvious and like you said it is about to make me pull my hair out. I will be sure to post a solution as soon/ if I ever find one, and in the meantime I certainly appreciate all the input.

·
Administrator
36,313 Posts
You don’t need to split the case in half, just remove the left side cover

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So today I started the ATV in neutral, unplugged the “neutral safety switch base” wire that comes out of the top of the stator case, raised the rear end up with jacks and it started hitting the rev limiter at the same RPM in H, L, and R... Also it said F on the speedo in all three gear positions. Neutral it was fine ran all the way up.

I plugged the sensor back in and it went back to only hitting the limiter in H and L fwd gears only, reverse it ran fine and said “R” on speedo and in neutral ran fine.

SO something is causing the CDI to limit the RPMs in “F” gear only.. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? Bad CDI? Loose or corroded wire somewhere? Bad neutral safety switch? Does the manual have a gear position switch?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts