Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2003 Arctic Cat 400 atv for my new mud toy. I was wondering if there's anyway to do a gear reduction on the bike.

For example, on my Honda 450 I swapped the clutch gears with those from a Honda 300.

Is there some way or something I can buy to give my Cat a gear reduction. Trying to get a little more power in the mud.

Thanks for all you help. This is the first Arctic Cat I've owned and I am in uncharted territory.

·
Registered
445 Posts
X2^^^^^

Maybe clutch work if automatic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too want 4.0's. I wish u could do a gear reduction like u can with Hondas. Buddy of mine has 300 with a 54% that turns 29.5 outlaw 2s wides.

·
Administrator
36,537 Posts
Just buy a 9 tooth pinion from cat and swap out your 10 tooth pinion. It makes a 4.0 ratio and is cheap and easy to do. Setting the backlash takes some playing around but overall not that difficult.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just buy a 9 tooth pinion from cat and swap out your 10 tooth pinion. It makes a 4.0 ratio and is cheap and easy to do. Setting the backlash takes some playing around but overall not that difficult.

What bike will have the 9 tooth over the 10? I have an eiger 400 but it's the same as the cat. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
36,537 Posts
I happen to have a brand new 9 tooth sitting in the shelf if you are interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts