Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum:
Been reading alot off this forum and have not been able to find my answer.
My atv started sputtering and died and will not start back up. The magneto wires were cooked so I replaced magneto and voltage regulator as well as new spark plug. Fuel pump is working and getting fuel through injector, getting spark as well. When I turn it over, all I get is the sputter and no fire. I'm going to bring it in to get checked but I'll see what I get off of the forum first 馃憤

Administrator
Check fuel pressure. You need 43 psi constant.

Premium Member
Jump the diagnostic plug and check the TPS sensor should be in the middle -AC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I had jumped the diagnostic plug and no codes showed up. Thanks for letting me know about the fuel pressure. I cleaned the tank out and put fresh premium in and it would fire up when I sprayed some fuel in the carb and stays running. I also added seafoam and I'm gonna run it for a bit and see what happens. Maybe the fuel pump is on the way out or maybe it just needed some clean gas 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Administrator
He wanted you to check the TPS setting. It should look like what He posted.
-AC
NOT
_AC
The line should be dead center , not high or low

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I set the line centre. Still doing the same thing. Just sputtering and wont stay running and running rough. Any other ideas?

Administrator
Did you check the fuel pressure?

Administrator
Does it hold 40. It should be at 43, probably ok as long as it holds that pressure.

Registered
I think your battery may be the issue. My 700TRV will do all kinds of weird stuff if the battery is weak. If it sits for a month or so, even a new hot battery will do the same. At least get the battery load tested.

Administrator
Was the battery the issue ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I checked fuel pressure again after charging up the battery. 43 psi and holding. Pulled battery from bike. It will fire over then it dies.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Battery is not the issue. Perhaps the coil? Maybe the ecm? If it's the ecm I'm curious if anyone has heard or tried the vdi copperhead in one of these or if there are better options

Administrator
Vdi copperhead with an m109r injector is a huge power gain.
I would start checking your wiring harness for bare or chafed wires.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I did that. i opened up the whole harness and checked and seen nothing. Originally the wires to the magneto fried and that's why i changed the magneto. Other than that i couldn't see any wiring issues. I replaced the volt regulator at the same time. I crossed diagnostics and nothing came up. I reset throttle position sensor. I tried a new battery. Changed fuel. New spark plug. Dumped seafoam into fuel pump directly to see if anything was contaminating injector and I still got nothing different. Cleaned fuel pump filter. The only other thing I can think of is either the coil or ecm is fried. I have a coil coming for 50 bucks so I'll try that for ****s and if not I'll have to prob try the ecm. I tried finding a used one to test with but nothing available in my area so I might just dump some money and try the copperhead with the injector and see what happens. Right now I'm at a loss otherwise 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Administrator
Did you take all the tape off the harness where it comes out of the fuse box and crosses over the frame?

Administrator
Is there a new battery in the atv now? Just charging the old one may not accomplish anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts