Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just stumbled onto this and was unclear way the shims are needed so i did some calling and checked on the web at some other web sights. What i have found is that thay may be needed if you do not want to repair the under lying problem. After talking to three dealers on this topic found that if the valve and pin that holds the valve in place above the retaining plate start to get worn thay may let the valve go to low in the cyl and may let the valve hit the piston. The only way this can happen is if the valve and pin are worn above the mounting plate letting it drop down to low and start to wear into the cyl were the valve bottems out on . When shims are added this is still only a fast repair and cheap repair. To repair correct the valves and pins are needed poss the block the pin is threaded into from them wearing out . Shims will not be needed if pins and valve show no wear . If any body has more info to add please do my2cents

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had them on my 2002 800CCE EFI and it took alot of the "idle shake" out of the handlebars and seemed to be smoother throughout the power range. For $15 it seemed like cheap insurance and it was a good excuse to clean the valves. My 2 pennies :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
My vavle pins where like new and that didn't stop vavles from hitting both pistons on 03 zl 800.Vavles hit bad enought on one piston it jammed rings in piston.

·
Registered
134 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DAN ZL 800 @ Mar 1 2007, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My vavle pins where like new and that didn't stop vavles from hitting both pistons on 03 zl 800.Vavles hit bad enought on one piston it jammed rings in piston.[/b]
Funny none of the mechanics at PG's have ever heard of this happening :angry: ...my 900 is shimmed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts