Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me how to set the apv valves on my sled and what part do i change to fix the prob
my sled is a 2002 zr 800 efi thz jim

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
First thing I would do after getting it back together is get a .024 shim under the power valves to keep this from happening again. I know there is a great post on this. I had an 01 and did the shim before it hit. Don't know the cable setting off hand. Sorry for the breakdown on your side.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Do a search of the ZR forums both here and on HCS. You'll find much info regarding the APV shimming for ZR800/900's and also a member who has had multiple shims machined and is offering them for sale at only $10.00 a pair shipped.
Sorry I don't recall the cable adjustment setting however I believe it's published in the owners manual and definitely in the CD Service Manual. The CD's are a great investment and come cheap on EBAY.

You didn't say whether the piston/jug is toasted or you just have the witness marks running down the side of the piston (like mine). The marks were visible to the eye but hardly detectable by feel. More of a polished stripe than anything else. Gladly I caught it in time. I simply shimmed mine and it runs like a champ now. Bad vibrations gone and all.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZRNEWF @ Dec 28 2006, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
my sled may not be the fastest but im sorta happy i dont have them..........sounds like alot of problems.....[/b]
Believe me NEWF, I had a ZR700 before my 800 and there's no comparison in power. The 800's torque made the 700 feel like a tyke. This small issue with the valves is minor if caught in time. Too bad AC never owned up to it and alerted all the owners. Many top-ends have and will be lost due to valves catching rings. Many thanks to ZRSledHead for identifying the issue and devising the easy solution. Rockerdude

It's a shame that riders who aren't visiting here or HCS or SnowmobileWorld may never realize the problem (and easy solution) before major damage is done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts