Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently took apart my APV valves on my '01 ZR 440 Sno Pro and cleaned em and put them back together. My question is when i fire the sled up and the servo motor cycles, i notice they both tighten up, then the top cable shows slack right at the servo motor. If i rev it a little it slowly tightens. Is the cable worn out? or is there something else wrong? Is confusing for me as i don't know much about how they work, this is my first sled with this type of set up. Any help guys ? thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
I know you just cleaned them, but it sounds like it might be sticking. I would take them out and look them over and make sure they are spotless, and put them back together again and see if that helps. If not, maybe replace the cables.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You said you cleaned the valves, but did also check the cable length? I will try and find the number for this sled...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bedgar7 @ Nov 19 2009, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You said you cleaned the valves, but did also check the cable length? I will try and find the number for this sled...[/b]
didn't realize i had to....just unbolted them pulled them out, cleaned em and re-installed...never took off the cables or messed with them...did i do something wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
No you didn't do anything wrong but as stated above, pull your cables off the servo motor and check the lengths. They streach out. Ron.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (omercityman @ Nov 20 2009, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No you didn't do anything wrong but as stated above, pull your cables off the servo motor and check the lengths. They streach out. Ron.[/b]
Not sure exactly what you mean by checking the length....can you give me some direction how to do it so i get it right the first time as i have no clue where they should be or how to do what your talking about...thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Look at the picture Bedgar7 attached to his post above. Pull the cables off of the servomotor, and measure the length of exposed cable, and make sure its between 31.6mm and 33.6mm

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bckmstr @ Nov 20 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (omercityman @ Nov 20 2009, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No you didn't do anything wrong but as stated above, pull your cables off the servo motor and check the lengths. They streach out. Ron.[/b]
Not sure exactly what you mean by checking the length....can you give me some direction how to do it so i get it right the first time as i have no clue where they should be or how to do what your talking about...thanks
[/b][/quote]

If you pull the cover off your servo motor you will see the slots which the APV cables slide into. You'll have to manually turn the servo to give the cables slack & be able to remove them. Unhook the first cable (I would also recommend marking it so you know which cable goes in first), and then the second. When they're out of the APV housing you'll see how they look compared to the picture above. You want to measure the barrel end/exposed cable back to the locking nut. Make sure both exposed portions are the same length, and within the spec provided above. Then put the cables back into the servo and put the cover back on.

·
Administrator
19,876 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kp453 @ Nov 20 2009, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Look at the picture Bedgar7 attached to his post above. Pull the cables off of the servomotor, then gently (so as not to pull valves from clsed positions) pull excess slack ou and measure the length of exposed cable, and make sure its between 31.6mm and 33.6mm[/b]
Added a lil' something make sure to add what Chris (LabonteF8) says above

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what would that be in inches with a regualr tape measure? also should i start the sled, let it cycle, shut it off, then do my measuriing? thanks for all the input guys...much appreciated :D

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Two options ... google the conversion to see what you come up with on the mm to inches conversion, or the other option (which I would recommend) would be to go out and spend the $5 on a caliper rule like this:

[attachment=139692:caliper450.JPG]

It really doesn't matter if you run the sled prior or not, but it wouldn't hurt. You're going to be unhooking the cables anyway, and to do that you'll need slack in the cables. Also make sure you give the barrel end a tug like Rusty (C-note) mentioned ... thanks for adding that Rusty.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,876 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Nov 20 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Two options ... google the conversion to see what you come up with on the mm to inches conversion, or the other option (which I would recommend) would be to go out and spend the $5 on a caliper rule like this:

[attachment=139692:caliper450.JPG]

It really doesn't matter if you run the sled prior or not, but it wouldn't hurt. You're going to be unhooking the cables anyway, and to do that you'll need slack in the cables. Also make sure you give the barrel end a tug like Rusty (C-note) mentioned ... thanks for adding that Rusty.[/b]
Not a problem Chris :chug:

1 mm = .039373" (inches)

1" = 25.4mm

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are the ****!!!.....I'll be checking it out tomorrow and let you guys know it worked out for me...One more ? : should there be a cover on the servo motor as mine must not have what your talking as far as the cover cuz when i look at it i can see the cables wrap around it thats how i noticed the problem in question in the first place? I'll snap a few photos tomorrow and get em posted to show you guys so you can see what i see.....I love this site !!!.....I also appreciate all your insights guys as like i said this is all new water to me and like the old saying goes the only stupid question is the one your afraid to ask... :site:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well here's some pics but they were hard to get, it when it showed my slack than in the pics dam thing would go back before i could get a decent photo showing what i was talking about by the slack....Do i need to take that bolt thing out in the middle and then it comes apart so i can get the cables out? looks like the top one may be splitting apart after looking closer at it? thanks

[attachment=139760:apv_valves_001.JPG]

[attachment=139761:apv_valves_003.JPG]

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts