Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a better helmet than my LS2. The Mission seems to get alot of good press. Just curious if any on here have one and what they think. Want a helmet that I can wear my sun glasses and not get all fogged up. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
Dang good question.
Bummer to hear you don't love the LS2.
Been through quite a few helmets and still looking.
It is frustrating to keep blowing money on testing these things. I've tried quite a few helmets to replace the old TXI helmets that worked with glasses. The TXI was easy to manage and we still have quite a few in the group.

I have a couple of goggle helmets that work ok, but they are more work to manage at every stop. I also have to manage the noise more with them.

I have a 509 r3 carbon fiber ignite I'm testing this year. I added rubber dampers to the visor mounting screws to reduce rattling. It's an old version without the locking shield. The shield is work to manage, maybe the newer style is better? I will say there is plenty of airflow. ;) It also came with bad view distortion. (The inner protective film fogged the lens.) It's tough to get any resolution. Bummer deal, I think it would work well with warmer temp riding.

The Mission helmets are currently hard to find. I have one that just arrived. I wanted a lighter carbon fiber, but settled on whatever I could locate. I have not put the helmet through testing yet. I'm digging through the thing to see how I can remove the sun visor. The goal is to reduce weight and the visor would not get used. I hope to have an update on these helmets soon. I'm curious about wearing glasses and the sound levels.

I've also heard a lot of the good press as mentioned. I sure hope it's not the ol "Talk is Cheap" mantra. Buying and testing helmets is expensive. It's a nightmare when they don't perform as advertised. It creates awful expensive garbage too. There is some irony in the expense factor. If I find a helmet that works, it would mean a ton of sales just within our group.

Reactions: ZR6000

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered a Medium Gloss black with electric shield for $445.50 from More Freaking Power (morefreakingpower.com) . Did not think it was unreasonable. Liked my LS2 but it was leaky and I could not use my pull down sun shade as it froze up all the time no matter how I had my vents set. Will see, but looking forward to giving this one a go. Can always send it back if it does not perform and nice to know you can change out the cheek pads if they are to tight/ loose.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update! This has to be the warmest and quietest helmet I have ever had. No issues with fogging and very comfortable. I ended up going with a medium which is 2 sizes smaller than my LS2. Fit is just right! I highly recommend if any are thinking of giving it a try.

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
I also rode with the Mission helmet this week.
I went through a range of cooler temps and never had any fogging. I also wore glasses and they were good. Glasses rarely fogged at normal gas stops even with the shield closed. (Best I've seen!!) I messed around with the nose pad a bit to get a better fit around the glasses and nose. The process is pretty simple. The helmet angle is critical with that fit too. There is a fine line between pinching the nose or resting against the glasses.
I would agree that it is quiet with the chin flap and neck pads. It is a comfy helmet. It is a pretty warm helmet with those in place. I rode in -20f for quite a few runner miles and didn't feel any adverse cold air. The airflow is so different than what I'm used to feeling. I didn't feel any around the top of the head. The cheek/nose pad rubber feels a little chilly when dropping the shield, but it wasn't an issue.
I'd also like to note that vision seemed pretty good. (I've had shield distortion issues with other helmets.) It is a surprisingly open face when the shield is open. More than I expected.

I also have some negative notes to mention.
The front vents build up ice from breath condensation. The helmet often dripped when I stopped. The freezing condensation also created enough ice to make closing the shield difficult without thawing. The ice issue was not just on this helmet. We all had ice forming, but other helmets with isolated breath boxes kept the ice below the shield latch assemblies.
I ended up removing the visor on mine. Worked nice at low speed, but didn't like fast stuff. It flopped badly in high wind speed situations. It was enough to distort vision because it shook the shield. The flopping visor created vibration noise that transmitted through the helmet. The visor also clicked between positions when it caught wind.

I'll use this helmet in cold temp riding for sure. It's nice to see and not freeze my head. I'll have to wait on warm weather testing for that verdict.

BTW, In regards to the 509 carbon fiber testing and comparison. I contacted the company to help fix the shield issues. Their customer support has been incredible. In the end, they decided to send me a complete updated version of the helmet with a locking visor. It has been a surprisingly wonderful process with their team. I look forward to getting some test time comparison on the next ride.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did have some dripping condensation but when we started riding it was near 30 degrees. Once the temps dropped it went away. Did have the issue of getting the shield to lock a couple of times. I might have to snug up the straps another notch as it sometimes came down over my eyes until I pulled the helmet down towards my chin.

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
I found a trick that helped with closing the shield. I put my fingers into the indent on both sides of the vents with my thumbs at the bottom edge of the helmet shell. I basically squeezed the shield shut until it clicked.
I forgot all about mentioning the chin latch. I like the ratcheting assembly. It's easy to close and gives audio feedback that it is latching.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m new to the Mission this year, from traditional modular and/or open/goggles. So far, its been great even when stopped in warm weather with the shield down. I haven’t run in extremely cold Wx yet. I’ve had good luck with glasses/fit.

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
I was able to reduce dripping icing somewhat in colder temps by closing the vents. Seems simple enough. Not sure why I hadn't tried earlier?

Rode in dang cold temps last week. I noticed that it felt like more air than normal was hitting my chin after one of the stops. Turns out the shield had not been locked down tight. I had ice starting to build up in a short time. The ice builds up right along the rubber seal where the shield sits when closed. It prevents the shield from locking closed after awhile. I was able to melt and slide the ice off the rubber seal without even removing the helmet. Extreme cases might need a warm up and melt.

So, to add a little user tip with the helmet. Make sure you hear or feel the "click" when closing the shield.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to reduce dripping icing somewhat in colder temps by closing the vents. Seems simple enough. Not sure why I hadn't tried earlier?

Rode in dang cold temps last week. I noticed that it felt like more air than normal was hitting my chin after one of the stops. Turns out the shield had not been locked down tight. I had ice starting to build up in a short time. The ice builds up right along the rubber seal where the shield sits when closed. It prevents the shield from locking closed after awhile. I was able to melt and slide the ice off the rubber seal without even removing the helmet. Extreme cases might need a warm up and melt.

So, to add a little user tip with the helmet. Make sure you hear or feel the "click" when closing the shield.
Was out yesterday in a 110 mile ride. The helmet continues to impress. It was cold out yet I was sweating. Found that the best way to get the shield to lock for me is to use my free hand to push down on the top of the shelf while pushing on the lip with my other. All vents open and very little moisture build up except for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts