Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im looking for a bit more off trail traction/floatation for the untouched lake snow and getting to the trails. I like the idea of the ice storm 150 with the studs built into the track. I was looking for any input and what people thought of this track compared to the ripsaw1/2 and the cobra.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Just talked to my bud that has a Gen4 Doo Renegade with the pre-studded track and he said it's junk. Doesn't bite like real studs and they fall out and the ones that don't then wear out. What are you supposed to do then when they wear out? Buy a new track? I'll pass

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went with the non studded version mainly because its single ply. I think that two ply has held up better for me overall(less vibration, ripped lugs) and seem better at WOT which is where Im frequently at. I cant wait to get it and install my new toy to see if theres a noticeable difference between the two.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Pre molded studs in tracks are not race tracks, they are anti-fishtail tracks to stop you from having your bottom cheeks slide ahead of your top cheeks and flip you over should the conditions change rapidly and you don't react in time. My buddy rides like the cops chasing him and he had an ice ripper that he loved and is now running a cobra 1.6 with no studs. Pre molded studs certainly don't provide much in extra traction, but provide a lot of extra control on a plowed road or ice if you are running a bit of extra steering carbide up front.

As far as the Storm I helped dig out a 129" procross 800 with one on it the UP last Friday after a foot or so of new snow the night before, it's no paddle track in my opinion but would certainly out perform a 1.35 cobra or a 1.25 ripsaw, of which I own one of each and know how they handle in deep snow. You really have to be honest what you want from your sled and pick a track that suits your desire and riding style.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have the Storm 150( not the factory studded style) (137") on my 2016 ZR 8000 limited and it is night and day better than my old 1.25" Ripsaw track! Now I have 144 Woody's Goldiggers ( 1.575") installed so it is a "studded" track and so is my other 2016 ZR 8000 limited( 1.25" 144 woody's gold diggers). I actually got a chance to ride both my sleds back to back in the same trails and off trails conditions to be able to compare the 2. The Storm seems to have a lot more traction and floatation in the deeper snow (2+ feet) and overall just puts the power down so much better than the 1.25!! It seriously feels like I gained 25 HP!! As a bonus I also got to ride my buddy's 2016 ZR8000 137" Limited with the Cobra 1.6" lug track ( 144 Goldiggers as well) the same trip and around the corners the storm 150 felt planted, where the cobra 1.6 felt less precise and even "tippy"! I would definitely recommend this track!! Also, it is no louder than stock and is noticeably quieter than the Cobra 1.6.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now thats a comparison, I couldn't ask for better than that. Thanks for posting your thoughts. I thought about riding the rest of the season out on the ripsaw but I'm changing that baby out as soon as the storm arrives.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you haven't purchased yet, take a look at the Composit Talon 38. I've had two of them and they both been awesome, plus much less than competitive tracks on the market.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Im looking for a bit more off trail traction/floatation for the untouched lake snow and getting to the trails. I like the idea of the ice storm 150 with the studs built into the track. I was looking for any input and what people thought of this track compared to the ripsaw1/2 and the cobra.
I have a Storm 150 that I used screw in studs on, it's a great track for what your looking to do, and it is better on and off trail than the Ripsaw II.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, the storm 150 track....brings the thunder and the lighting!! This thing made my 18 zr800 come alive. I compare the incredible difference to when I put the ripsaw track on my 02 zr800 cce. The combination of the c&a skis and the ripsaw made that sled handle and perform awsome and can run with new sleds on the trails still to this day(although that inside ski is usually flopping in the wind and I am much sore-er when the day is over). The cupped track on the Storm grabs 3' powder, fresh groomed trails and even hard trails Amazing! I think this track fits this platform perfect like the ripsaw fit the old one. Corners are an absolute blast and this lets go and slides through a corner when you want and grabs and sticks the next one if needed. I am thrilled with the upgrade and couldnt be happier with the sled now. I guess I can be happier because the next step is adjusting the suspension for my weight correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts