Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone seen the new ski-doo Rev Xp video, it's on the Ski-doo web site. They race the Yamaha RTX, Dragon, F8 against the new 08 Rev XP. (www.ski-doo.com) If you did, what do you think ?
There is also a sno cross video comparing all of the above.
I think now maybe the F7 has some competition in this new 2008 Rev. It's about time!

To see it you have to go onto the ski-doo site then into the Rev-xp platform, then trail, then lightweight, then the Rev-xp challenges sno cross and drag race. It's a pain but worth it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Read my post in the F forum and see the light. Video is 1000% BS. Ringer vs. production sleds....of course it's faster.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checking back in, don't know about you guys but I like the fact that Ski-doo is making lighter/stronger and faster sleds. Improving on what worked, not throwing it out and starting slower, oh I mean over. I think this is ski-doo's year big time, 08 to 08's ski-doo is it. Wait for the grass drags it's going to be an all doo final. Cat had it one time, and I still have 4 of them what did they call it ~ Oh ya FIRECAT !

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
i wonder if everyone ,..including ski doo is maybe jumping the gun a bit.

they sure are gonna have **** on thier faces next winter,
if they cant do all they show in the vid!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FasterFirecat @ Apr 17 2007, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
how do ya know it aint true??? I dunno[/b]
I remember this time two years ago seing a vid on the net of a pre-production Apex smoking a Mach Z accross a lake. How many times have you seen a non-turbo Apex smoke a healthy Mach accross a lake???? Same thing, different year, different sleds....I could be wrong BUT maybe not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree that the ski-doo has it nailed on this one... but that is a horse **** example on the sno-cross one... **** the only reason he can take the bumps like that is because he had a faster start than the others... i could jump a river if i hit it go 70 vs going 20 logically your momentum will carry you over it.... seems kinda horse crap on that...

I agree that it is good they are improving on something that they already have instead of making a new heavy model.... I think that they will give the firecat some competition but if we went to a dealer and stuck blair morgan on a box stock sled vs tucker on a firecat i think i would still take hibbert on that one...

tough to compare a sled that way as there are to many inconsistent variables included in that.... it is like testing the effects of medicine on 4 different people of course every outcome will have different symptoms... just not a conclusive test to me...

do give ski wizz props on the new sled though... i 4 one think it looks perty bad ass (still ain't no firecat)

:sledder:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I hate the fact that Doo puts these sleds on a sno cross track using the other brands trail sleds. Why dont they use the new nytro, the Poo IQ 600RR and well, Cat needs to bring out what ever they will be running next year..I think that might be a little more fair. Putting an RTX on a sno cross track...gimme a break..thats not what its built for. For that matter...Doos advertising vs Yamaha is totally unfair...putting a Rev 600 with 40lds of weight against the RTX...they should have put the Mach z in that ad. I also recall a CAT ad a few years ago with a green F7 vs an RX1, and a DOO and POO sled....F7 was leading the pack by a ton.....man do the manufacturers really know how to spool up a rivalry.

·
Registered
301 Posts
To see it you have to go onto the ski-doo site then into the Rev-xp platform, then trail, then lightweight, then the Rev-xp challenges sno cross and drag race. It's a pain but worth it.
[/quote]
yep, follow the above directions

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the link shadow,certainly looks like skidoo has got a good hold on the sled market because of the rev platform,but I got to wonder what the results would be if another manufacturer made their own comparison or even an outside non-biased test group,(if there is such a thing)Well only time will tell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought for sure you guys would have looked at that video and thought the same as me. Not see how fake it might be and so on, but DAMN Why didn't CAT do the same with the FIRECAT!
Maybe now CAT will bring on a production 600 sno-x for the trails !
Fall of this year would be nice.

·
Registered
788 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smokin @ Apr 30 2007, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought for sure you guys would have looked at that video and thought the same as me. Not see how fake it might be and so on, but DAMN Why didn't CAT do the same with the FIRECAT!
Maybe now CAT will bring on a production 600 sno-x for the trails !
Fall of this year would be nice.[/b]
We've already gone back and forth on this issue in the other post, so I will make this short.

WIth all the reliability issues AC had with the Firecat already, cutting more weight and adding more HP was definitely not practical. Not to mention the fact that a Firecat is NOT as good as other brands (stock to stock) in the trail (soaking up bumps, corning, etc.).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reliability? Not one claim in 3 years, over 4000 miles F7. Cut weight and add hp, tell that to the sno-x mod sled guys, 800 and now 600 mods. I have a 715 black Magic stroker and you would think that thing is going to twist itself in half and still going strong. As far as trail rockets a stock std Firecat rocks, sno-pro's are a bit tippy but a standard corners flat and soaks up the bumps. That would be why Yamaha is putting almost the same rear skid in their new ones.
Just to add another little something, what about the guys that put 8 and 900 kits on the Firecat chassis, practical, you bet. If they can CAT could have too.
Make the new F-series for the trail (long trips) guys but give us a Cat version of the new REV so we don't have to look at its snow flap in 08, that would be lake and trail.
I know my 7 won't lose to the new REV, it's not quite stock but it's not a 2008.

·
Registered
788 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smokin @ May 1 2007, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Reliability? Not one claim in 3 years, over 4000 miles F7. Cut weight and add hp, tell that to the sno-x mod sled guys, 800 and now 600 mods. I have a 715 black Magic stroker and you would think that thing is going to twist itself in half and still going strong. As far as trail rockets a stock std Firecat rocks, sno-pro's are a bit tippy but a standard corners flat and soaks up the bumps. That would be why Yamaha is putting almost the same rear skid in their new ones.
Just to add another little something, what about the guys that put 8 and 900 kits on the Firecat chassis, practical, you bet. If they can CAT could have too.
Make the new F-series for the trail (long trips) guys but give us a Cat version of the new REV so we don't have to look at its snow flap in 08, that would be lake and trail.
I know my 7 won't lose to the new REV, it's not quite stock but it's not a 2008.[/b]
Wow! If you don't think the Firecat has/had any reliability issues then you are more brand blind then I thought. Maybe yours has been fine (as had mine) but PLENTY of them had issues....recalls, burn downs, skid failures, steering failures, etc.)

Ride a std Firecat and then ride an IQ or Rev through the same section of trail. If you think stock to stock the Firecat is "as good" as the other two then you have a jaded sense of reality. My Firecat (I feel) handles just as good as these other sleds, but I have added $$$ to make it work. The Std rear suspension is a joke for anyone over 160lbs who rides hard and you have already listed SOME of the problems with the Sno Pro. Unless you ride on glass trails the std suspension leaves a TON to be desired.

As for using Sno-X MODS as an example of adding HP and cutting weight: are you kidding? Mods are built to be run in a race, torn down to bare bones and re-built before the next race...they are not a model of reliability.

Oh, and Yamaha's new rear skid is almost an exact copy of SKI-DOO's SC4, NOT an AC skid.

Despite all my points I understand what "YOU" want, but like I said before that is not where the BULK of the market is. Again, I implore you to RIDE A FSERIES before you dog it...They are definitely heavier, there is no way around it...but I know of SEVERAL that are damn fast (with mods) and they handle beautifully.

I hope you get what you want...a 400lbs 160hp monster so YOU can win on the lake and not be embarrassed to be "Mr. Arctic Cat". I still have my doubts about the XP chassis...reliability is king and from an engineering standpoint I can plainly see some serious reliability issues thought that sled. Not to mention no one has lined up against a true production version yet...who’s to say its any faster then the Rev 800s? Hp to weight on paper is one thing...making it go on snow is totally different.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow you know everything, impressive. You missed the part I have a 715 MOD that I drive and don't rebuild every ride, the chassis will take it. It is 160 + hp and less than 400 lbs along with my F7 at 157 and 480 lbs and two F6's and one runs 111 mph. So I guess I am Mr Arctic Cat already.
You know just what I want only, so I guess I'm special Ski-doo built the new Rev just for ME.
You brag them up so much on the ride, now they made them better, Rev sounds like a winner .
I would say 1/2 of the Firecat owners has bumped the Hp #'s up past 150 on their sleds, large market for 150 hp sleds with lightweight. That's why Ski-doo built the new Rev, not a TRAIL cruiser.
Wonder why Polaris built the IQ 600 rr, no market for it.
The only buzz in the Market around here now is the REV. Selling 15 to 1 over the other brands, what does that tell you. Check out your dealers see what your sales are in your area.

·
Registered
788 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smokin @ May 2 2007, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wow you know everything, impressive. You missed the part I have a 715 MOD that I drive and don't rebuild every ride, the chassis will take it. It is 160 + hp and less than 400 lbs along with my F7 at 157 and 480 lbs and two F6's and one runs 111 mph. So I guess I am Mr Arctic Cat already.[/b]
Your 715 mod, I am willing to bet, is NOT a set it and forget it snowmobile...it requires constant monitoring and looking over...either carb adjusting, clutching, suspension, etc. This would not make a good MASS PRODUCED SLED. The F7 is a fine chassis for going fast in a straight line...probably the best to date. I see you are from Canada so your market is SIGNIFICANTLY different then here in MI, and the rest of the US. A high strung Firecat that has had lightweight improvents done to it (or even in stock form) is not an extremely reliable snowmobile. Do you have EGT's do you tune regularly? I am guessing both answers are yes...you are NOT JOE SNOWMOBILE. No brand is building a sled JUST FOR YOU. My sled is modified...probably in the 150-155hp range. Its a fuelie, and has EGT's. I would not hand my snowmobile off to an inexperienced or unknowledgeable person to go "play around". Its got too many quirks...you can't blast WOT for miles on end, you have to monitor mid range temps, etc. In its current form would not be a marketable mass produced sled, its not RELIABLE in the sense that I have to monitor it while riding...have I had a problem NO, but I understand what I have done and how it effects the motor as a whole.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
You know just what I want only, so I guess I'm special Ski-doo built the new Rev just for ME.
You brag them up so much on the ride, now they made them better, Rev sounds like a winner .[/b]
If you actually read my posts I have been branging up the ride of the F-series much more then the Rev. A rev, in bumps, stock to stock, does ride better then a Firecat (as does the IQ). I have said this multiple times. I never said they were a better snowmobile all-around.

As for you thinking Doo built the XP "just for you", that wasn't my point at all. I see you have bought into the hype already have your mind made up...I have my doubts. You've seen some claimed pre-production numbers on paper and some stupid Youtube video's of the sled doing wheelies all over the place and all of a suden you are ready to jump ship and give king of the lake crowns out. Or did you watch the Doo marketing video?

Ski-doo selling 15 to 1...well I will say thats a HUGE exaggeration, maybe not in your area but over all...having 40% of the market doesn't equal a 15 to 1 ratio...last time I did the math.

The Polaris IQ 600 is a LIMITED PRODUCTION SLED that Polaris has had to release tons of incentives on to get people to buy them. And you have already bitched about HP...thats a 120hp sled!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I would say 1/2 of the Firecat owners has bumped the Hp #'s up past 150 on their sleds, large market for 150 hp sleds with lightweight. That's why Ski-doo built the new Rev, not a TRAIL cruiser.
Wonder why Polaris built the IQ 600 rr, no market for it.
The only buzz in the Market around here now is the REV. Selling 15 to 1 over the other brands, what does that tell you. Check out your dealers see what your sales are in your area.[/b]
SO again...I will restate my point: IF ALL THAT MATTERS TO YOU IS GOING FAST ON A LAKE THE F-SERIES IS NOT FOR YOU! BUT, YOUR MARKET IS A NICHE THAT AC HAS DECIDED TO IGNORE FOR THE TIME BEING.

Next?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope WRONG again my 715 mod doesn't have EGT's and wrenched on every trip. Gas and go, if you have the sled set up right (sweet spot) no need to worry. Just know your sled. Now if temps and such changed big time then it might be a concern , but it's good to like -18 or so.
My 05 F7 EFI is over 157 hp and no EGT's and you can hold it til', 9 mile lake isn't long enough to blow it up ! but it's long enough to be 1st every time, Mach what ?
Don't worry about the Ski-doo HYPE, like I said they had a sled that worked well and all they did was make it better.
Your 40 % of the market thing, check the 2008 #'s you are going to be quite surprised. At the sled shows I was at a good 75 % of the people were in the DOO- DOO section all pumped on the new iron. And no it wasn't all doo guys alot of CAT, Yamaha and Polaris clothing walking around drooling.
600 Polaris IQ with 120 Hp what's worng with that, good for a 600 I would think, but the new ski-doo 600 is going to kill it.
You say Cat has chosen to ignore the Hype(fast sleds) for the TIME BEING. Time is up, DOO has forced their hand, BIG TIME.
Again I'm not worried about getting beat, but my sleds are not 08's and it's time to update next year, was this year but you know where I stand. SPEED !
Check out the dealers in your area and post what you find out for spring orders for 08, interested to see the differences in areas. Like I said here is 15 Ski-doos to 1 Cat and 1 Yamaha, haven't check out
Polaris yet, he still has a yard full of 07's.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Ill stick with my Sno Pros for now! I like the new doo but not enough to get rid of my sleds! At least now there will be some compition!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts