Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like i have a roller broken or worn in my clutch ('98 zr600 carb). Its sometimes binding up and wont let the clutch completely release when i come to a stop and it will stall my sled when i brake. One of the weights is getting jammed in the broken roller.
My question is
A: can i replace the roller in the sled or does the clutch need to come out with a puller.
B: if the clutch comes out do i need to take the clutch apart further with any other special tools i dont have,,, just to replace the roller?

so im hopeing its a roller issue and not a worn out hole where the rollers attach to.... whats more common issues with these clutches??

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
I have replaced them on the sled but it easier off the sled, The one I did the rollers were just held in with roll pins and you take a small punch and knock them out and put the new ones in and the replace the roll pins.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
First thing is, don't ride this sled or even start it up with missing pieces in the primary. You'll wind up with crank issues that you don't want. If its a higher mileage 9 post clutch, just scrap it. You can find new/newer clutches for sale on fleaBay and just get a new spring(prob needs it anyhow) and new or rebush your current weights.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I think dadszr was thinking you were talking about the secondary clutch. Rollers are easy in that one.

On the primary you need to remove the spider nut which is torqued to 250 ft-lbs and secured with red loctite in order to remove the rollers. The cost and time involved is not worth it for most people when you can get a new one for not a whole lot more. Also these clutches can start to show hairline cracks radiating from the center post on the sheaves. If there's any signs of that it's also makes it less worthwhile to rebuild it.

A dealer can remove the spider for you at nominal cost but if a roller in there is broken I wonder how much else is?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mmm 250lbs is alot... i dont even know if my touque wrench goes that high.
As for cracks i dont see any.... my spring looks new also its yellow.
as for it hurting the crank/balance no parts are missing yet. but even still im not driving it anymore till its fixed anyhow.
as for my broken roller, its not really broken.......its just popped out of place on one side making the weight run on a weird angle and jamming up some times.
Ill try and get pics.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jcurrieta @ Dec 21 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
mmm 250lbs is alot... i dont even know if my touque wrench goes that high.
As for cracks i dont see any.... my spring looks new also its yellow.
as for it hurting the crank/balance no parts are missing yet. but even still im not driving it anymore till its fixed anyhow.
as for my broken roller, its not really broken.......its just popped out of place on one side making the weight run on a weird angle and jamming up some times.
Ill try and get pics.[/b]
I had a 6 post primary doing this. If you need to get on the brakes and the clutch is not released it will not let the track relaese. Find a nice newer one and swap it out. Or take yours to a cat dealer. Buy the puller from them, and bring in just the clutch. If your seconday is the same age, bring it in also.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everyone i talked to said that i had to take the spider off to get to the rollers. so with that info and me not wanting to get the special tools and deal with 250lbs of pressure, i picked up a used clutch and a puller and im going to swap it myself,,, and maybe down the road get my orig clutch rebuild for a spare. thanks for the help guys...
if anyone has changed the spider rollers in the sled before let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts