Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am also interested in this topic. I went out west earlier this year with the cat recommended set-up and felt they were way off. It seems to me that it over reved the engine. It was a whicked setup for climbing hills because it was like always being in second gear plenty of low end grunt but on the trail top out at mid 70s at like 8900 rpms with no comfortable crusing feel. I was amazed that they didn't reccomend change the spring weight in the primary clutch. I think that is what it needed is a differn't finish rate in the primary spring.

What are the rest of you using for mountain setups?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm heading out to Golden, BC here at the start of Feb. I picked up the recommended clutching from cat for 6- 9000ft. (36deg helix and 68g weights) I'll let you all know how it works out after I get back. I'll make sure I get a bunch of vids and pics too. So everyone can see how the crossfire stacks up in the steep n' deep.

Keeper

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Do you have the new Orange spring from Cat? Would go good with that 36 helix. Stock helix isn't too bad if you don't want to change, but I do recommend the Orange spring at least. Lighter weights for sure if riding over 6000.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is what I ran in Cooke City, MT 9K+
Secondary: 36* helix, and Stock orange Spring. Primary: 68G cat weights with the stock Yellow/white spring. You can get all of this with the Cat 6-9K kit. It ran wel, but I did not bring enought to tune it to my liking I would prefer a little lower engaugement, May try the gold spring.

To me the 800's like to be loaded down. My sled pulled the harest at 7500 rpm when going up a hill. on the trail it would rev to about 7900.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6Mile @ Jan 26 2007, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is what I ran in Cooke City, MT 9K+
Secondary: 36* helix, and Stock orange Spring. Primary: 68G cat weights with the stock Yellow/white spring. You can get all of this with the Cat 6-9K kit. It ran wel, but I did not bring enought to tune it to my liking I would prefer a little lower engaugement, May try the gold spring.

To me the 800's like to be loaded down. My sled pulled the harest at 7500 rpm when going up a hill. on the trail it would rev to about 7900.[/b]
Sounds good and yes those torque monsters need to be pushed hard. What weight profile were you running? Just my opinion, but if they are the light tipped weights, I don' think Cat made a wise choice using them. Might be ok for the mountains, but not for flat trail riding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had ran 65g Cat weights with stock helixat rec of cat rep.....but have the 36 helix on order. I agree, surprised no sec spring change for 6-9 or 9k +???? Sled seemed to pull nice and hard, pegs at 7650......really surprised it was that low considering 65g weights.

Hoping the 36 helix does the trick, don't have many rides out west to do my own R&D work!!! Sled seems to pull just fine, but was disappointed against the acceleration of stock xfire 700.

keep the ideas, suggestios, and conversation coming!

Fun ain't cheap

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 06 C 7 was set up by Roger at The Racin Station in Jackson, Wy for the altitudes around Togwotee. He decided on a yellow primary spring, # 0646-229 with 63 gram cat weights and stock helix with a white secondary spring # 0648-693. At 10,000 feet the engine will pull right to 8,000 RPM and hold there whether drag racing or pulling a hill. I couldn't believe the difference it made in how this sled ran, and I highly rcommend talking to him if you are in that area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts