·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You looking to buy one? What sled is it going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000
Not looking to buy, just curious is all.

·
Registered
12,818 Posts
You really have to wonder how good they are. I went on Amazon Canada and there are 4 choices of brands. Three ship direct from China in 3 days. At $1069.00 new Canadian for a Cat one, it’s enticing with a price range of 426-560 CDN. Three list a 3 month warranty and the other does say what theirs is.
If I get half the cost from a few of you guys I’ll be the test pilot lol.
All kidding aside I would want to have one in my hands for inspection first.

Reactions: William Stern Jr.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I am sure it is the company that was building them for cat from about 2010 -2015. I am sure the quality is probably even less stellar than those as well. Probably JUNK.
Well at the less than $200 cost and two years of warranty, I could live with it. Dont have any sleds that they would work for for me personally though.

·
Administrator
20,066 Posts
@tcat446
I’ve seen a few used (same manufacturer) in side x sides and they’re nothing to write home about.
Fact is, I’d only use one to replace a whomped out oem (just to sell whatever unit it was going on)
Other than that, paperweight status is the grade I rate it as.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
I am sure it is the company that was building them for cat from about 2010 -2015. I am sure the quality is probably even less stellar than those as well. Probably JUNK.
That is a very likely scenario.
Many of the parts on our machines are developed in house or through partnership agreements. Then, they go out to manufacturing bids when someone else makes the part. Those bids include specific manufacturing parameters and tolerances. Cat will accept the products off the line that are within their spec parameters. Tighter spec requirements usually make them higher cost. The manufacturer needs to monitor and adjust their assembly process more. (Machines and tools wear with time). Products that do not fit the specific requirements often belong to the manufacturer. These agreements can be pretty complicated and sometimes the customer will demand that out of spec product be destroyed. That portion of those agreements vary considerably.
Again, it can be a complicated agreement with manufacturers. Sometimes the molds etc. belong to the customer and are destroyed or returned at the end of the agreement. It varies considerably how those agreements are defined. The manufacturer may own the molds and use them later if there isn't an agreement preventing the action. They may even have agreements to keep molds for later resupply part manufacturing.

Cat generally hangs on pretty tight to their logo. The clutches in the seller's pictures do not use the logo. The clutches may be in spec minus the logo? We don't know for sure until someone measures and tests. We do know they are not part of the Cat spec branded run. (At least the covers are not)
It is unlikely that someone came along and created molds and manufacturing just to sell these clutches in the aftermarket. How close they are to OEM specs would need to be measured. Worn and clapped out stock clutches are also out of spec. Maybe it is worth the risk to purchase vs. the beat up one you are running? Again, hard to say.
I myself, would not run one in a high performance, high demand machine. It wouldn't feel comfortable with the risk vs. reward. With an smaller power putter around machine, it may be different.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The 6 post Arctic Drive Clutch was built by TEAM industries up until 2009, when Claude moved in and started going cheaper on all kinds of things, bearings, etc. At that point, 2010 and up until 2015, the Drive and Driven clutches used at that time were built overseas. That's when the issues started to become more apparent, in build quality. This was Arctic Cat's own designed components built by the cheapest bidder. Then FF to 2016, when they went back to TEAM for the drive and driven clutches, but at that point they just bought the TEAM design, and did not use their own. Now in 2022, they have a new drive clutch of their own design once again, built by whomever they choose to have it built by. I heard it was a company in CANADA, but i don't know for sure. The secondary is new, however it is basically identical to the TEAM BOSS secondary they were using, for all intensive purposes.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Thanks @Fast 440 .
It's nice to have things cleared up a bit. I wasn't real clear on the 2009 / 2010 transition point. The current secondary info is also a bit surprising. Never really thought about those with the focus on a new primary.

·
Administrator
20,066 Posts
I will add to my previous reply and say that the ones I’ve seen (that folks have purchased online and brought to us) are very skimpy on sheave face thickness (very thin where other clutches have far more metal)

A little bit of sheave wear from hard belt compounds and slipping clutches with mild throttle use under loads with low speeds, and these are much closer to becoming a high rpm bomb than even the Polaris P-90 primary’s “thin sheave faces” used in their lower hp ATV’s, again, nothing I’d ever use for personal use. Just good enough to make a unit move under its own power (to make a sale and send unit on its way)

·
Administrator
8,014 Posts
How the "warranty" works is a question in itself. You think that the ebay seller is going to warranty them? Not on this planet. Years ago I put a "new 9 tower" Cat clutch on a 95 ZR580 efi to replace the outdated stock Cat stock clutch. Something went wrong with it about 85 miles into a ride. Wife's sled. So I switched with her and it would go 18 mph only and at about 1300 rpm's. If I stopped, it would kill the engine, yeah fun time's for sure. Finally it let loose and would go no further. I was towed the final 45 miles to Newberry, Mi. ( yooper) They continued on to retrieve the truck and trailer. Got it back home and the dealer put another new Cat clutch on under warranty as he should , it was 1 a week old. When it started to fail, we had to start the sled with the track in the air and drop the sled and push like hell so it wouldn't stall. It worked, so to speak. I put this clutch on to avoid potential clutch failures as the 9 tower was said to be bullet proof at the time. 1998/99. That being said, these chinese clutches are something to avoid. Something that spins 9000 rpms is something that might test your clutch cover's durability. Let alone the price of a belly pan. When they explode, will they just pop off like they should or are they going to have to be cut off? If someone buys one of these, better buy 2 and bring a spanner and clutch puller with you on rides. We've all seen chunks of exploded belts on the side of a trail, now were going see exploded clutches on the trail side. I would listen to Rusty, he's seen these in action. Paper weight for sure.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Last thread discussion on primary clutches months ago had some very graphic pictures of people hurt by clutches exploding, a very serious matter in my opinion. X-Ray testing of clutches should be done on every unit placed on a sled from ALL manufacturers…just one mans opinion.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well at the less than $200 cost and two years of warranty, I could live with it. Dont have any sleds that they would work for for me personally though.
What good is a warranty if you're replacing it with the same piece of ****? I wouldn't put one on one of my sleds even if they paid me $200. No name China JUNK I can't imagine how bad the quality is.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The 6 post Arctic Drive Clutch was built by TEAM industries up until 2009, when Claude moved in and started going cheaper on all kinds of things, bearings, etc. At that point, 2010 and up until 2015, the Drive and Driven clutches used at that time were built overseas. That's when the issues started to become more apparent, in build quality. This was Arctic Cat's own designed components built by the cheapest bidder. Then FF to 2016, when they went back to TEAM for the drive and driven clutches, but at that point they just bought the TEAM design, and did not use their own. Now in 2022, they have a new drive clutch of their own design once again, built by whomever they choose to have it built by. I heard it was a company in CANADA, but i don't know for sure. The secondary is new, however it is basically identical to the TEAM BOSS secondary they were using, for all intensive purposes.
Yep that's why the 2010+ is referred to as the metric clutch and requires a different puller. But even those clutches I'm sure are 10x better than these eBay knock offs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How the "warranty" works is a question in itself. You think that the ebay seller is going to warranty them? Not on this planet. Years ago I put a "new 9 tower" Cat clutch on a 95 ZR580 efi to replace the outdated stock Cat stock clutch. Something went wrong with it about 85 miles into a ride. Wife's sled. So I switched with her and it would go 18 mph only and at about 1300 rpm's. If I stopped, it would kill the engine, yeah fun time's for sure. Finally it let loose and would go no further. I was towed the final 45 miles to Newberry, Mi. ( yooper) They continued on to retrieve the truck and trailer. Got it back home and the dealer put another new Cat clutch on under warranty as he should , it was 1 a week old. When it started to fail, we had to start the sled with the track in the air and drop the sled and push like hell so it wouldn't stall. It worked, so to speak. I put this clutch on to avoid potential clutch failures as the 9 tower was said to be bullet proof at the time. 1998/99. That being said, these chinese clutches are something to avoid. Something that spins 9000 rpms is something that might test your clutch cover's durability. Let alone the price of a belly pan. When they explode, will they just pop off like they should or are they going to have to be cut off? If someone buys one of these, better buy 2 and bring a spanner and clutch puller with you on rides. We've all seen chunks of exploded belts on the side of a trail, now were going see exploded clutches on the trail side. I would listen to Rusty, he's seen these in action. Paper weight for sure.
Actually, these clutches have been spun up to aprox. 12,000 rpm for a very long time with no issues.
Trust me, the team clutches are a pile as well. I never had this chinese clutch blow up in testing, but I have had a few team clutches violently explode

1 - 20 of 28 Posts