Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe this has been discussed a bit on here, but has anyone been out west to ride the mountain trails in Utah and Colorado? I am planning it this summer, but all my pals are going to have newer machines with EFI, and just wondering if its worth the money to trade up or run my old 04 650 twin? and any advice on such a ride would be very much appreciated. plan on packing a day or two at a time on the machine and camping.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The V2 engine is the most forgiving engine when it comes to power loss at high altitude. I had an 04 V2 and now I have the 05 and I run 112 main jets here in Utah. I ride 4,500 to 11,000 feet without any problems at all. There is a power loss at the higher altitudes with all motors but my V2 never has sputtered like my friends big bore singles have. I have never changed my jetting since my dealer did the initial set up. If you are not ready to buy a new quad yet, just re-jet before you come out west. If you are ready to up-grade, I would definitely get the 700 EFI. My next quad will be the 700 EFI for better cold starts, fuel mileage and optimum power at all elevations.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply CatSkinner, I don't necessarily want to upgrade, but going to check into it. see what I can get for a trade on my 04 twin. everything else I have is efi and I love it, and my 04 twin is hard to start in the cold, compared to my old 02 500, so another reason.
Is that all you did was change your main jets? anything with the airbox? whats a good tire to run out there? was planning on running the stock tires.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I have an 06 H1 that I have riden around Utah Lake and also up in the High Uintas. There was no noticable difference. I haven't changed how the dealer set it up. i wouldn't think that you would have any problems. Of course if you need an excuse to uprade it would be believeable. My brother-in-law has had atvs longer than I have (this is my first) and he hasn't rejetted or had any problems.

J

PS The weather can change fast here. I don't know where or when you'll be taking the trip but be prepared if you plan on being on the trail for more than a day or two.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have never changed the jets in my V2. The dealer installed the 112's on initial set up because they found that they are the best all around jets for Utah. There are several good tires for the rocky terrain in Utah but I would definitely suggest a 6-ply tire. I had several side wall cuts with the stock Goodyears so I switched to Dirt Devils and I now have 1600 miles on them and I have not had one flat, and I still have half of the tread left. I have several friends that run the Dirt Devils as well and they all seem to love them.
Here's some pics of the DD's in action on the Piaute Trail.
[attachment=61783:p1000389.JPG]
[attachment=61784:p1000393.JPG]
[attachment=61785:p1000395.JPG]
[attachment=61786:p1000270.JPG]
[attachment=61788:p1000394.JPG]
[attachment=61790:Fairviewp02.jpg]
[attachment=61791:Fairview3.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have the 05 v2 just put a moose module in her and it will work just fine. you will only need to increase the idel screw.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I rode my "06 500 Auto on Red Mountain above Vernal, UT last summer. We didn't reach any altitude higher than 7900 ft and it had no problems whatsoever.

However, when I went over to Gunnison, CO later that week, riding to elevations above 12,000 ft I definetly needed to rejet. So, for me, I'm good with the factory jet to 8000 ft and rejet if I expect to go higher.

This is with my 500 and may not apply at all to your 650.

stellarpod

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys for the info and pic's, think we are pretty much just going to run the Piaute Trail in Utah in mid june, not sure if we will have time to swing back thru Colorado yet. planning on over nighting it, going with a guy thats been out there several times. he and the others are trading up for EFI, but they have older machines too, I rather keep the 04 650, and if all I need to do is jet or a module, thats cheaper then a new one. I have a set of ITP Mudlite XTR's with 14" series 7 rims, but didn't think I should run them out there and chew them up. anything else you can think of, I can take all the advice I can get. Thanks again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've owned 5 dirt bikes, all 2-stroke and 4 quads, all 4-stroke. I currently ride at 7,500' and up. I've got quite a bit of experience with jetting. I'm not into racing and just want the bike to run cleanly for the altitudes I ride. 2-strokes are a pain, but 4-strokes need to be jetted also. EFI is the way of the future (I said that a couple of years ago on another utility quad forum and was vilified, but still believe it to be true.)

I've re-read your posts and in trying to get a "feel" for where you are on this jetting thing, I'll make the following suggestions for you. The main issue with not jetting for altitude is your machine will run richer the higher you go until you reach a point where it gets sluggish and begins to miss.

Where you intend to ride in UT is going to be ~ 5,000' feet and up, topping out somewhere either side of 8,500'. And most of that riding is going to be at slow speeds, not flat-hatting. The best and simplest thing for you is as Catskinner suggests, 112 main jets and forget about anything else. Change them back when you return to WI.

If you want your machine to run a little better and are willing to do a bit more work to get there, get a Dyno-jet kit. They cost about $85 and are easy to install and have good directions. The needle jet will take a little time, but you'll be better off than just the main jets. They will send you about $4 worth of parts, the remainder is for their R&D.

The Dynatek or Moose module will not overcome bad jetting. It's primary help is to give you more initial timing advance, left off by AC ostensibly to keep people from having too much power off the line. I'm not sure I believe that, but you'll note improvement off the line. If you are going to keep your machine, you may find the cost worth it (I have one), but those modules are not magic for increases in altitude.

I lived in UT for six years. You're going to love riding the Piaute. Have a great time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts