Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill post pictures later of the broken part but was wonder if anybody had a cam adjuster (spring tensioner-NOT THE WRENCH) fail while riding? I broke one for the second time. Granted i jump once in a while and do wheelies and plow but these cheap thin pot metal cams are brittle. This one sheared off right where the spring rides on it. This is the new updated version about half the thickness of the original it seems. this one was just the adjuster the last one ruined the shock when it let goI dunno anybody else have this problem? im thinking of sending the parts to cat or a good dealer to see what they say. Ill admit what i was doing when it broke as i am paying for it out of pocket and dont lie to dealers. i just want to know if anybody else had one fail unexpectedly. You can see that this one was cracked for some time before it let go

·
Registered
978 Posts
I never have, but looking at them I am not supprised. They just look weak. If the newer ones are thinner yet, I will lathe some up myself before I put the newer ones on.

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are just as thin here is what's left of mine and these are the updated thin ones

Auto part Coil spring Engine Wire Fuel line

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is not the original. I'll try find the original that broke. I still have the shock that the original ruined too. It will be a week or so before I get the pics unles I get time tomorrow before I fly out for vacation

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
send me a couple more pics, your vin, and the amount of miles you have on that one, and I'll fwd it to TRF
I'll get better high res pictures when I get to it. Thanks a ton krom. This one broke when I hit a pothole. I figured it would have let go doing wheelies or jumping or plowing

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
ive broke the other side...the flat spring retainer

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've never had one break on my 02 500 but I don't pop the front up. If they broke from just hitting a pot hole then they're weak to begin with. I do ride my 02 pretty hard over some rocky trails. Probably too fast sometimes but in any case mine are still rockin. They probably used some real cheap aluminum for the newer ones so maybe if you get more new AC parts and they still break, find a machinist that could make you a set out of steel like cromoly or 4130. Would really suck to get ones made out of a harder material then sheer off the tabs on the shocks. Getting them made is probably going to be expensive. They won't be just slap some metal on a lathe and turn some out.

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
I think there is a recall on the newer ones

·
Administrator
8,019 Posts
how would we find out about recalled parts?. I'd like to change mine out before it ruins the shocks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi guys!! I too have had the cams fail , both the left and right fronts. I'm sorta worried about the rears............. I have the TRV it won't wheelie so "it just broke". My dealer is a friend so when I came in shock in hand he just replaced it eventhough I was way past warrenty.............he admitted to me even he found the cams to be one of cat's faults............ a few days later I was back with the other shock in hand!! He told me not to worry he'll keep replacing them NC (no charge) but that just don't cut it way back in the woods stuck there with a broken shock!! Oh and I was also told to jack up the quad to change spring tension , REALLY??

P.S. The "new replacement" cams are a joke too!! not worth a pinch of **** shi*!!! IMHO.

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
Check with Krom I'm pretty sure there is

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just my front keep breaking. Maybe make a small list of people to send with the pictures?

·
Registered
978 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts