Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to paint my pipes on my zrt 600 , cant afford coating ,so another opction is to clean and paint them my self . but only thing i can find is a stove paint that brushes on , any body has home paint job on there pipe or pipes that lasted a year of ridding , my sled looks ugly with rusty pipes, any info will help or pics

·
Registered
13 Posts
go to any auto parts store or hardware store and pick up high temp. engine enamel its in a spray can and it will make your pipes look brand new

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used some type of metal cleaner first to strip off all the rust and old paint, then painted in hot sun with several very light layers of high heat engine enamel, 5 years later they are not as nice, but not as bad as they were either. If I touched them up every year they would probably look new.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
This is by far the best pipe paint I have ever used. Three years, two paint jobs, running EGT in the 1280* F range.

Design Engineering Inc. (DEi) Hi-Temp Silicone Coating (1500* F) Black Finish Part # 010301

You will never have to paint your pipes againe. Do not paint over rust. Paint them and run for one season and paint them before storage and your done painting pipes.

www.DesignEngineering.com

Auggie

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Auggie @ Nov 20 2009, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is by far the best pipe paint I have ever used. Three years, two paint jobs, running EGT in the 1280* F range.

Design Engineering Inc. (DEi) Hi-Temp Silicone Coating (1500* F) Black Finish Part # 010301

You will never have to paint your pipes againe. Do not paint over rust. Paint them and run for one season and paint them before storage and your done painting pipes.

www.DesignEngineering.com

Auggie[/b]
Those look really good. Especially for running 1280*. Talk about living on the edge!!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yah, you got that right. I do have a few pistons that don't look so good and I have a 2.58* key but I solved that problem with a Tempa Flow.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Hey guys ,

I just did mine yesterday and all I did was wire wheeled the crap out of the the dremel cleaned the rust with a air powered dremel to get into the tight spots. I didn't use excessive force either you don't want to burn into the metal if there the stock pipe. I also located a few hair crack in the seams of the Y pipe and the main pipe so I mig welded them and then ground em down to near factory size(shape) . Then after several bath's with ZEP products Electro-Solv, ( kind like indutrial brake cleaner) and plenty of clean rags I painted them with a industrial red Ultra Hi Heat Varnish. I use this same varnish on the inductor coils on the melting furnaces at work. Hope this helps anyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Can't remember whose name is on the store now but it is on CR Blvd by Hi-Ten service station and the VFW, corner of CR Blvd and Hanson. Bumper to Bumper or OReilly??

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hugh @ Nov 21 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can't remember whose name is on the store now but it is on CR Blvd by Hi-Ten service station and the VFW, corner of CR Blvd and Hanson. Bumper to Bumper or OReilly??[/b]
I can find that! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
You guys will get a laugh out of this. A few years ago I used the Duplicolor high heat paint. After painting it calls for heating the pipes to 450 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Well I did three sets of triple pipes and used my smoke house. It is-was 4' x 4' and 7' tall. I used two turkey cooker burners to reach the 450 degrees and it worked great until the wood of the smoke house caught on fire. The pipes came out fine but I had to rebuild my smoke house. Its been three years and all three sets of the pipes look great. Ron.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts