Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to try ice racing for the first time. does any body have any experiance in ice racing? if so what typr of set up should i be doing to the little tank? i already have a set of tires/wheels siped (off of a honda accord) and one set of 1 1/2" wheel spacers. i have till jan 3 to get everything done then i am racing every weekend.

http://harrysro.powweb.com/hrmc/id1.html

photos by page1photography

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
There is another member here that does some ice racing...Should be able to help you out with that.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Some people around here use sheet metal screws in the tire lugs...It works

pretty darn well...Just don't put as much in the front as in the back.

Ice racing is alot of fun.

·
Registered
429 Posts
the only experiance i have is that it kills the fishing on the lake for that day

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
not alot of exp here but you wanna stud the tires (some lower classes only allow a certain amount of studs), other than that it's similar to flat track. you want the suspension low and stiff. i've seen people use straps to keep the quad sucked down. a rear sway bar would help for almost all of your racing also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know the guys in the Upper Michigan only run non studded on utility quads. The sport quads have been using hoosier flat track atv tires. Not sure but i think they sipe them too. They hook up great. The utility quads here just run stock type tires.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (canam k @ Nov 17 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Some people around here use sheet metal screws in the tire lugs...It works

pretty darn well...Just don't put as much in the front as in the back.

Ice racing is alot of fun.[/b]
i would screw the tires but from what i heard they did have a studded utility class. the utilities just railed around the corners. so they stopped the studded class and will allow only bear tire for the utilities.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
They sell kits to screw your tires, its only like 20 bucks for like 500 screws. If it is oval track, I have heard of guys replaacing their outside front shock with a piece of round or square stock steel and bolting it in, cutting it to the lenght you want, that way that tire just sticks out there and the inside one absorbs all the bump steer and you have less chance of roll in the front outside tire. make sure you have a sunflower heater so you can warm your motor/block up first before starting it, it will start easier and its a little better on the motor, I know my Cat is cold blooded as hell. ITP makes a new tire called the TundraCross that comes already studded for you, I heard alot of good things about these tires. just some options for ya.
[attachment=139476:ITP_TundraCross_1_.jpg]

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts