Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Warn 2500 winch on my 05 650V2. I'll try to explain my problem the best I can in hopes that somebody here has had the same thing happen to them and can explain what they think has happened and hopefully how to fix...in laymans terms :sure_ok:

I been using my winch to lift and lower my plow. Tonight I was lifting my plow with the winch and let go of the "in" button but the winch kept going in and would not stop? The only thing I could think of was to turn the ATV off and when I did this it stopped. Well I turned the machine back on, looked at my instrument pod and there was no display...only the back light...and it would not turn over like the battery was dead??? After about a minute of fiddling with all of my switches and turning the key on and off everything came back. I was able to start the machine and get it back to the garage.

Once in the garage while the ATV is running I pushed the "out" button on my switch and it only clicked. I proceed to disengage the winch and then hit the "in" button...it starts turning and wont stop again...I turn the key off and the machine stops running but the winch keeps going. I then had to take my seat off and unhook the battery to get it to stop??? This has never happened before.

I hook the battery back up and I'm back to the original problem...the ATV will not turn over, I have no display on my insturment POD (only a backlight) and I have no idea why the winch is doing this. Anyone have any ideas???

Could it be a bad fuse? Is my switch bad for the winch? Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm not very handy with the tools but I've learned alot from everyone here including adjusting my clutch to keep her tight.

Sorry for the long post and I hope I explained it ok.
Thanks,
Jim :chug:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I figured out the starting problem...my ignition fuse was toast. I replaced and everything on the instrument pod came back on and started right up. Good deal.

Now I will go investigate why the winch would not stop spooling...should I start with the switch or silinoid(sp?). I guess I will start checking the connections to make sure they are tight.

I'm excited as we are finally going to get some accumulation tomorrow (24+ inches overnight) and I want this cat to purrr

·
Registered
333 Posts
Your'e contactor may be fried. It is like the solonoid for your winch up and down. It has 4 posts on it and allows your switching means to run a lower voltage without burning up the switch(mini rocker switch). Sounds like when you power up the contactor ( in your situation winching up) after you let go of the switch it still holds voltage and is keeping contact with the main power, therefore running up after you let go of the switch. After you shut off the power it discharges the system utill you try and winch it up again. Test that and your switch and see what happens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winger, I'm kinda a dumb a**. is the contactor the soloniod? I've just blown 3 ignition fuses...I can hit the "out" button on the switch and it will winch out but as soon as I hit the "in" button it pops the fuse...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Your are using the handle bar rocker switch right? If so,just for giggles(if you have one)try using the handheld switch to make sure your handlebar switch isn't bad. Also check and make sure there are no obstructions in the way of the winch(like the cable jusmping the spool. To me it sounds as if your contactor has went south on you. I have herd of alot of people using a contactor from gorilla.They are alot cheeper then the warn's(price wise).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4j- yes, I'm using the handle bar switch. I don't have the hand held switch. I've resigned to thinking I need a new contactor/soloniod. I will search back posts for which Gorilla contactor everyone has got. I do recall it only having 2 wires compared to the 3 from the handle bar switch. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can cap one of the ends right?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Here's the deal. It could be your solenoid OR your mini rocker. The mini rocker is $40 from Warn, and the solenoid is $85 (last I checked anyways). Here's what you do. Buy the "combo package" from Gorilla which includes the mini rocker and solenoid and the wiring you need for $50 (comes with free shipping). I promise you they will take care of you and they stand behind their products and go above and beyond when it comes to customer service. Tell them you heard about them on this site too.

They'll get it out to you post haste, and installation will be a snap for ya.

http://www.gorillawinches.com/atv-accessories.htm

·
Registered
333 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Adirondack_Jim @ Feb 13 2007, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Winger, I'm kinda a dumb a**. is the contactor the soloniod? I've just blown 3 ignition fuses...I can hit the "out" button on the switch and it will winch out but as soon as I hit the "in" button it pops the fuse...[/b]
Yes, your contactor is the two way solonoid for up/down on your winch. Go on the link that Sanny has posted up from gorilla and order the package, that way you'll be covered both ways just like he said. Most likely it is your contactor but it doesn't hurt to have spare winch parts layin around. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Almost sounds like you have a low resistance on your winch coil. Because your winch relay is enabled off a switched ignition circuit, when you put the switch to "inhaul", you're getting excessive current draw through the "low power" side of the relay. If it draws more than 10 amps, you'll blow the ignition fuse. If the switch is reversing direction and operating the winch, it's got to be a problem with the contactor. Why won't it stop? Sticking contacts on the contactor by the sounds of it. To test the switch, unplug it (2 or 3 wire connector on the contactor), take a test light, and ground it. Turn the bike on, and operate the switch. You should get the tester to light on each wire, depending on what direction it's going. If you're switch is ok, I'd say replace the contactor. hope this helps

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Feb 14 2007, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here's the deal. It could be your solenoid OR your mini rocker. The mini rocker is $40 from Warn, and the solenoid is $85 (last I checked anyways). Here's what you do. Buy the "combo package" from Gorilla which includes the mini rocker and solenoid and the wiring you need for $50 (comes with free shipping). I promise you they will take care of you and they stand behind their products and go above and beyond when it comes to customer service. Tell them you heard about them on this site too.

They'll get it out to you post haste, and installation will be a snap for ya.

http://www.gorillawinches.com/atv-accessories.htm[/b]
Thanks Sanny! Not worthy: I will have to buy the package from Gorilla if my soleniod or switch goes again. We got 3ft of snow yesterday and I had to get my winch going right away or I would be removing snow by hand. I called my local AC dealer and he hooked me up. I bought both (mini rocker and soleniod) along with 6 extra fuses and it cost me $150. Thats $100 more than I could have spent with Gorilla but I didn't mind because they are such good people to deal with and very helpfull whenever needed.

If this happens again hopefully there will not be a major snowstorm and I will be able to try the Gorilla set up.

Thanks again,
Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Winger, Bluethumb- I appreciate the posts to help me get plowing ASAP. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have this site to go to... Rockerdude :site:

Jim :super_happy:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I have an extra relay on hand all the time, just in case one fritzes out on me. that way I'm not stuck when I need to plow or something. For the money, to me it's worth the insurance. These quads are always getting wet, muddy and bouncing around, so things break. I just wanna be prepared for when they do so down time is held at bay.

Glad to hear you're back in business Jim!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I saw on warn's site that there is a recall for the contactors. http://www.warn.com/atv/recall_notice.shtml

I stripped mine down last night and really cleaned it tonight. If anyone out there is thinking about buying a winch, my suggestion would be to save your money and get one that is sealed. When I took mine apart there was so much crap inside it... I don't even know how it was working. I also noticed that some of the gear housing was stripped. The next winch I buy will be sealed and have the metal housing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
glad to hear you are back up and running.I know I sure wouldn't want to shovel snow,then again we don't get enough of it hear to wory about it. Good luck and have fun!

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Gorilla just came out with a waterproof line of winches (2k, 2.5k and 3k). The motor part of the winch is sealed, but I do not believe the gears are, which is fine by me. The gears I'll want to clean/lube yearly anyways.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had avery similar thing happen to mine, except it was the rocker switch that self-destructed. Once it fell apart it began reeling in and out on it's own. The line finally jammed and the whole bike went dead. After awhile I tried the ignition and it fired back up.

BUT...

The display blanked out - just like you described. I disconnected power leads at the winch. My bike will run now, but the display has never returned - only the back light. I posted this a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't gotten much response.

I'd still be interested to know if anyone's got any ideas on what happened to the display.

stellarpod

1 - 16 of 16 Posts