Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning this mod for some time now. I allready upgraded the rear skid. Now im just starting the AGLT front. Here are a few parts and pics of what im doing so far. The spindles are done. Im waiting on my shocks. I may have to get diff ones, unsure on exact eye to eye. They may be 3/4 to long. I will find out soon. The A-arms are on but thats about it on one side. Im still removing the other old susp. on the other side. I will add more pics as I go. Cat happy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Nov 13 2009, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey, the spindle cut-outs look great! Not worthy:

:chug:[/b]
Thanks to a friend of mine. He used a plasma cutter and a grinder. Sand blasted them. And primed and painted them for me. Ill tell him you said that. =)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (adbaker1972 @ Nov 13 2009, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey Nick, those spindles do look nice. How's the leg? I take it your all healed up?[/b]
The leg is about 85%. I will be taking it real easy this season. It has its days when it hurts still. Im still working on getting my ankle tendon streatched back to normal. But I can tell it gets better week by week. Thanks. How have you been? Is your AGLT mods complete?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Been busy. Seems i lost track of the summer. I stopped working on the sled last spring after i finished the mock up. So its all together, now i need to pull it, grease, paint and re-assemble. Maybe this weekend, but i doubt it, i can always hope though. Temps are still high here so i'm not expecting snow too soon. I'd like it, but not expecting it. Should be able to get it all back together in a weekend though. Stop laughing at me, it might happen.

Glad to hear your healing...tendon stretching does not sound very nice.

Ad

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to get some more done today. Almost there! Rockerdude I need to put the sway bar back in,shocks,and skis. I cant wait to try this mod out. I also need to raise the rack and stearing post mod. That should be a about it to rap it up. Ill add a few more pics mon..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (njrextreme @ Nov 15 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was able to get some more done today. Almost there! Rockerdude I need to put the sway bar back in,shocks,and skis. I cant wait to try this mod out. I also need to raise the rack and stearing post mod. That should be a about it to rap it up. Ill add a few more pics mon..[/b]
The spacers for the A-arms all need to be in front of the A-arms or you will have lots of bump-steer.

If you don't have all the spacers at the front of the arms. the skis will go toe-in when the suspension extends, and toe-out when it is compressed.

Not just a little either... We're talking many inches. For example, if you were to have all the spacers at the rear of the arms, you will have a total of approx. 5-6" of toe-in to toe-out between fully compressed and fully extended.

Maybe the pics aren't clear enough but it looks like you don't have all the spacers a the front of the arms. If this is true, you have to correct this.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Nov 15 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (njrextreme @ Nov 15 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was able to get some more done today. Almost there! Rockerdude I need to put the sway bar back in,shocks,and skis. I cant wait to try this mod out. I also need to raise the rack and stearing post mod. That should be a about it to rap it up. Ill add a few more pics mon..[/b]
The spacers for the A-arms all need to be in front of the A-arms or you will have lots of bump-steer.

If you don't have all the spacers at the front of the arms. the skis will go toe-in when the suspension extends, and toe-out when it is compressed.

Not just a little either... We're talking many inches. For example, if you were to have all the spacers at the rear of the arms, you will have a total of approx. 5-6" of toe-in to toe-out between fully compressed and fully extended.

Maybe the pics aren't clear enough but it looks like you don't have all the spacers a the front of the arms. If this is true, you have to correct this.
[/b][/quote]

I have them spaced even on both sides. Ill check for toe movement when I put the skis on. I can change it around if needed. Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (njrextreme @ Nov 16 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Nov 15 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (njrextreme @ Nov 15 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I have them spaced even on both sides. Ill check for toe movement when I put the skis on. I can change it around if needed. Thanks
[/b][/quote]

Move all spacers to the front, ahead of the arms. If you add anything at all to the rear of the arm, you will have more than zero bump-steer. There is no in-between.

If the arms are moved forward with spacers at the rear, it changes the sweep angle of the tie-rod on the arc of the steering lever at the top of the spindle. Check it as you will... Check arm movement without the shock installed so you can move and lower the arms full-travel without resistance from the shock/spring, and you will see it go toe-in/toe-out a lot. Do a test fit with all the spacers at the rear of the arms... The amount of variance between toe-in / toe-out is insane... It's around 5-6"!!! So even one thin washer on the rear will throw out the geometry and add bump-steer. I tried it during the R&D stage, and actually took it for a ride on the lake. VERY un-nerving and unpredictable! Every little bump, you didn't know which way the skis were going to pull. Definitley a handful to drive if there is more than zero (or close to zero) bump steer! Try it, just to experience it for yourself! You will agree it's insanely dangerous feeling!

:chug:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am just about finished! I need one tie rod, and bolt the skis on. I also need to secure the resi's on the sled for the front shocks. Then I will test and tune the shocks. Cant wait!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Keep an eye on the upper arm cross tube where it mounts to the chassis, your shock's cylinder end casting might make contact with it at full extension.

It does on some shocks when mounted cylinder up / rod down. I don't know if yours does or not.

I didn't remember this possible issue until I saw your pics with the shock mounted.

If it just touches lightly without great pressure, it will be fine... Might lose a tiny bit of powdercoat though.

:chug:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Nov 19 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Keep an eye on the upper arm cross tube where it mounts to the chassis, your shock's cylinder end casting might make contact with it at full extension.

It does on some shocks when mounted cylinder up / rod down. I don't know if yours does or not.

I didn't remember this possible issue until I saw your pics with the shock mounted.

If it just touches lightly without great pressure, it will be fine... Might lose a tiny bit of powdercoat though.

:chug:[/b]

Ill take a look. I think it has a tiny bit of space behind it. Im going to try and finish it all up this sunday. The shocks need to be screwed tighter. I took the spring load off when I put them on. My skis came in the other day. Im still waiting on one more tie rod tube. I decided to get the rite one instead of extending the old one. :chug:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more stearing rod and adjust and im done. With the AGLT front mod anyways. Just found out the rod is at the post office! Woo hoo! I still have some cleaning to do,and maybe paint the hood all black. Re pollish the tunnel, and put my new primary clutch on. I still need a seat cover, and want to do the stearing post mod. Let it snow! Cat happy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (njrextreme @ Nov 23 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One more stearing rod and adjust and im done. With the AGLT front mod anyways. Just found out the rod is at the post office! Woo hoo! I still have some cleaning to do,and maybe paint the hood all black. Re pollish the tunnel, and put my new primary clutch on. I still need a seat cover, and want to do the stearing post mod. Let it snow! Cat happy[/b]
Keep an eye on the reservoirs, the upper A-arm might contact them under full compression.

Member Tek also used reservoir shocks, I can't remember where he mounted them but he did manage to position them so they were safe. I'll see if I can find any of his pics.

Best check up on it to ensure there will be no damage during a complete compression stroke. In the mean time I hope I can find some of his pics and will post them here.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I jumped on the front bumper and they were not hitting. Ill take it slow the first time out and make sure everything is good to go. :sledder:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts