Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to switch to klotz oil but i have heard that different oils are thinner or thicker than others. i have adjusted my oil pump down to 50:1 using amsoil. i am worried that klotz might be thicker than amsoil and it might run leaner and blow up. or am i over thinking this? I heard a story a month ago about guy that adjusted his oil pump down using amoil then switched back to arctic cat apv and stuck a piston.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I don't know viscosities of either.
I first backed of the oil pump on my 02 ZR800 2 turns and then switched from Klotz to Amsoil and had much better results.
Valves were alot cleaner, heres an inside pic of my Y pipe.

[attachment=60290:DSC00710.JPG]

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bikeman suggested either one, but said nothing about adjusting the oil any different between the two. I went with klotz. Smells better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm using amsoil on my F7. My mom was using Klotz in her 03 F7 and if you left it out in the cold, it would almost freeze up. It was like pouring molasses. I have always run Prolab in all my sleds and it is fantastic oil but i thought i'd give the amsoil a try this year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Has anyone every ran Blue Marble? I heard alot of good stuff about it, but dont know for sure. I run ams and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I run amsoil interceptor in my sleds since it came out. I love the stuff. Cleanest burning oil i ever used and it protects like no other. All i will use!

·
Registered
183 Posts
KLOTZ IS THINNER THAN OEM OIL, PROBABLY THE SAME VISCOSITY AS AMSOIL. I HAVE BEEN USING KLOTZ FOR THE PAST 13 YEARS, IMO, IS SUPERIOR TO AMSOIL. BURNS ALOT CLEANER AND DOESN'T LEAVE STICKY **** ALL OVER YOUR MOTOR! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F7-X @ Jan 10 2007, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
KLOTZ IS THINNER THAN OEM OIL, PROBABLY THE SAME VISCOSITY AS AMSOIL. I HAVE BEEN USING KLOTZ FOR THE PAST 13 YEARS, IMO, IS SUPERIOR TO AMSOIL. BURNS ALOT CLEANER AND DOESN'T LEAVE STICKY **** ALL OVER YOUR MOTOR! :thumbsup:[/b]
:wtf: ...........superior slaphappy

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (justinator @ Jan 11 2007, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F7-X @ Jan 10 2007, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
KLOTZ IS THINNER THAN OEM OIL, PROBABLY THE SAME VISCOSITY AS AMSOIL. I HAVE BEEN USING KLOTZ FOR THE PAST 13 YEARS, IMO, IS SUPERIOR TO AMSOIL. BURNS ALOT CLEANER AND DOESN'T LEAVE STICKY **** ALL OVER YOUR MOTOR! :thumbsup:[/b]
[/b][/quote]

It is far superior to Amsoil from the results I have foud also. KLOTZ is #1 for me!

Fast

·
Registered
13 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (power23 @ Jan 10 2007, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm wondering the same thing, but i'm switching from ipone to klotz. Can any one help us out.[/b]

Why would you do that? Sure Klotz is a good oil, but imho Ipone is the best out there. Its one of the only oils that that offers the protection of a racing specific oil, without the excess deposits that most racing specific oils cause. We use Ipone in everything from our trail sleds to the 200+h.p. Hooper 1035 with phenomal results. It is also one of the best flowing oils in an injection system and does require you to really turn down the pump, 60:1 in the trail sleds is about perfect. Also maybe in my head but the ipone sleds do seem to be up on power compared to the same sled with other oils, one glance at the internal conditon of an Ipone motor shows why, the ringland is spotless! A deposit free ringland maximizes heat transfer from the piston to the cylinder wall and will equate to a slight HP increase and much longer engine life.

·
Administrator
7,965 Posts
We've had quite a few oil related threads on this site. I'm not gonna say which is better than the others, I really dont know. I've had great success with amsoil, but I'm not afraid to try klotz. I would rather know what doesnt work well or oils to stay away from. The original AC apv oil worked well, but the valves needed cleaning quite a bit. I have heard they re-did it and its alot better now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clean valves is not an indication of a good oil. In fact in many instances its the oppossite. Deposits on the valves is often the uncombusted byproduct of the detergents in the oil. It is these detergents that maintain and keep the ring land clean. A Tc-w3 rated oil will keep the valves spotless, but in time frag the engine as the ashless formula contains nearly no detergents to clean the ring land. An api tc racing oil(such as dominator yamalube R, benzoil etc.) will leave the valves pretty darn dirty as well as the combustion chambers, but the ever so important ringland will be cleaner, engine will make more power and last much longer. The combustion chamber deposits typically will reach a certain level and stay that way, engine vibration will dislodge the carbon, but more carbon will replace what just got dislodged, but will typically reach a level and stay that way. A typical non racing specific api-tc low ash oil is often the best choice for a trail sled. Will still require the ocassional valve cleaning, but not as often as a racing specific api tc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will say this about amsoil, I switched over from AC APV oil three years ago and I have noticed in both my sleds better throttle response, better gas mileage, and it burns a whole lot cleaner and maybe i'm crazy but it seems to last longer.

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fast 440 @ Jan 11 2007, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (justinator @ Jan 11 2007, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F7-X @ Jan 10 2007, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

It is far superior to Amsoil from the results I have foud also. KLOTZ is #1 for me!

Fast
[/b][/quote]

i dont want to start fight here,......but i have heard that amsoil clogs the valves also.
i dont know for sure though,.......i have used klotz for the last twenty some years.
i can say ,....i have never had to clean the valves in mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
about the power valves, I've been running amsoil interc. and last season i did not clean them all season and they never hung up not once and when I took them apart in the spring they were perfectly clean.

·
Registered
201 Posts
In my opinion, anytime you run an oil that meets all the latest standards is a good oil. I really don't think there is that much of a difference with top quality oils, none that would really matter as far as you run one over the other and your engine could blow up. I run Phillips Injex. Ran them in all my sleds, never had a problem with power valves or piston scuffing. I even ran cheap $8bux for a galllon jug Walmart brand. Only difference I noticed when I went real cheap were the power valves were gummy, but never carboned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indytriple @ Jan 11 2007, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (power23 @ Jan 10 2007, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm wondering the same thing, but i'm switching from ipone to klotz. Can any one help us out.[/b]

Why would you do that? Sure Klotz is a good oil, but imho Ipone is the best out there. Its one of the only oils that that offers the protection of a racing specific oil, without the excess deposits that most racing specific oils cause. We use Ipone in everything from our trail sleds to the 200+h.p. Hooper 1035 with phenomal results. It is also one of the best flowing oils in an injection system and does require you to really turn down the pump, 60:1 in the trail sleds is about perfect. Also maybe in my head but the ipone sleds do seem to be up on power compared to the same sled with other oils, one glance at the internal conditon of an Ipone motor shows why, the ringland is spotless! A deposit free ringland maximizes heat transfer from the piston to the cylinder wall and will equate to a slight HP increase and much longer engine life.
[/b][/quote]
I really like the ipone oil too. The only reason for the switch is ipone is really hard for me to get and the price has shot up alot since last year. Klotz lube man over on HCS sells klotz for $28 bucks a gallon. If I could find the ipone for close to that I would stay with it. Your right about the way ipone flows. I turned my pump down to 50:1 and I was still sucking down oil like crazy!

·
Registered
268 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frofro666 @ Jan 11 2007, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In my opinion, anytime you run an oil that meets all the latest standards is a good oil. I really don't think there is that much of a difference with top quality oils, none that would really matter as far as you run one over the other and your engine could blow up. I run Phillips Injex. Ran them in all my sleds, never had a problem with power valves or piston scuffing. I even ran cheap $8bux for a galllon jug Walmart brand. Only difference I noticed when I went real cheap were the power valves were gummy, but never carboned.[/b]
I own a lawn care business, and use walmart supertech in my 2 stroke trimmers, 50-1 mix for 2.5 years and have had no motor problems. Also I use 5-30 or 10-30 sny walmart oil in the kohler, kaw and generac motors on the mowers. We cut up to 140 acrea a week when the cutting is good. I'm happy about it, probably will switch the sabercats to it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts