Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
just joined up because we purchased a 2019-2020 Tex alterra 700eps. have some questions on the electrical system.
I use the atv for some lite lifting with a winch bucket. it's been eating the batteries I'm guessing from too much drain. even putting them on a charger hasn't really changed much. I'd like to know how to winch proof my electrical system and batteries. I've looked around at a bunch of info and short of putting a car or lawn mower battery on the back it doesn't seem like there's much for upgrades regarding the stator/CDI etc. would like to hear any thoughts or if anyone has been able to upgrade the charging system to handle the extra power pull. I don't run any other electronics other than the winch and been thinking of swapping the headlights for led bulbs. let me hear your thoughts! thanks!

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I run a group 35 Yellow Top on my 700 AC Diesel. 5,000 lb winch and a LED light bar. The Diesel does have an alternator. Measure the area in the rear frame above the hitch, I think you may be able to fit one. Then put it on a battery "maintainer". Had that Yellow Top for many years. The beauty of the Yellow Tops, they handle being discharged very well. Someday I will put one on my 700 TRV.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to see what I can squeeze in there. would be convenient if they made the battery box big enough for a mower sized battery to begin with.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I'll have to see what I can squeeze in there. would be convenient if they made the battery box big enough for a mower sized battery to begin with.
I agree! I'm on my 4th battery on my 2014 TRV with about 3,000 miles. Meanwhile the Yellow Top is still fine in my 2008 Diesel. My only real complaint, but it's a PITA. I do run a battery maintainer on the TRV if it's going to sit for a few days.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
Still on my factory cat battery in my 700 trv.

Reactions: Legend869

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2014 500cc TRV With every feature available installed on it. The original battery is still doing its job.
So....
If you’re “going thru batteries” then its 2 simple reasons
Your not plugging in your battery tender soon enough after using your ATV
or
you own a poor quality charger / maintainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I have a 2014 500cc TRV With every feature available installed on it. The original battery is still doing its job.
So....
If you’re “going thru batteries” then its 2 simple reasons
Your not plugging in your battery tender soon enough after using your ATV
or
you own a poor quality charger / maintainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are right! Cheap Chinese Harbor Freight tender and I need to make it easier to plug it in. Now have to remove rear seat, then main seat to get to battery. I never plug in the Diesel as it starts after cycling glow plugs on the first revolution. Drove the TRV yesterday for couple hours, new Duracell battery and just went to start it. It started, but had to turn over at least 10x. Does not inspire confidence if I'm a long way from home and turn it off. My old carburetored Cats never had an issue starting.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
You are right! Cheap Chinese Harbor Freight tender and I need to make it easier to plug it in. Now have to remove rear seat, then main seat to get to battery. I never plug in the Diesel as it starts after cycling glow plugs on the first revolution. Drove the TRV yesterday for couple hours, new Duracell battery and just went to start it. It started, but had to turn over at least 10x. Does not inspire confidence if I'm a long way from home and turn it off. My old carburetored Cats never had an issue starting.
You can trickle charge through the cigarette lighter style accessory port on the side of the pod. There is also an accessory plug on the right by the tail light that is easy to get too. Two prong plug.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you properly wire the winch to accessories, or direct to battery?

My 2017 Alterra 700 XT has a 2nd battery spot in the battery box under the seat. I believe AC makes a kit for doing it all up OEM style. Which I assume is not needed at all. But definitely can fit 2 batteries in mine.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts