Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any real world experience with the newly updated 700h1 motor from 2019 and up? Can anyone compare it to the older 700 before all the changes?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not sure where you got this information from. The 700 has had the same design for quite a few years now. They just took the same old 700 and fitted it into the Alterra chassis back when it was first introduced.

Reactions: AlexG.

·
Administrator
7,764 Posts
My '17 700 differs from my 09 700 by the exhaust exiting from the right side instead of left. Its quieter than the 09 . Other than that, I believe they are the same.

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, the 2019 and up has a different drive clutch. they deleted the wet clutch part of it and added a spring. they narrowed the engine some as well. Google search it, there was quite a difference. Just wanted to know the difference in driving it in real the real world.

·
Administrator
7,764 Posts
Didnt know that, Im curious to the difference too.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
When I bought my 2020, I also assumed it was the same St. Cloud built 700 that Cat has always used. I thought it sounded and felt the same as the old one...... I haven't been able to tell a difference......

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, that's about what i figured. I was hoping it was maybe a little more snappy than the wet clutch design. I suppose they tried to keep it close to the same. And for good reason. Solid machine for sure. More top end speed at all? the last one i drove was 62 speedo all out on tar. I was thinking this would make the decision easier to get the 700 over the 570. But if it didn't make all that much difference, the price of a 570 is stupid good. These new alterra's ride so much better than the older chassis.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Top speed on my Cat 700 has been around 60-64 mph depending on conditions (since break in was complete). Again, I wasn't even aware of the engine change, and it feels very similar to the old 700. I tend to agree that the price of the 570 makes a ton of sense and is probably the best buy.

On a personal level, I think the 700 is ok. It has adequate power, and fuel economy is good. Maintenance is super simple.

In comparison to other ATV's I've owned, the Cat 700 engine is ok...... I loved the Can-Am 650 twin. Super smooth & quiet, but maintenance was a pain in the a$$. The Kawasaki Brute 750 was very smooth, had awesome torque and was very fun to ride- BUT it sucked a ton of fuel. My Hondas were weak on power in comparison.

The Cat 700 doesn't seem to excel at anything. BUT, it also doesn't have any major disadvantages and is super reliable. For the money- it REALLY IS a bargain. I have 1600 miles on my 2020 already, and I am satisfied with the 700 engine.

Reactions: Fast 440

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The last one i owned was a 2006 650 H1. Excellent at a lot of things, but never excelled at really anything other than it was about as bullet proof as you can get. My in-laws still own it and it still runs as good as ever. I got to fix my buddies 700 alterra brakes, and then took it for a rip. What a much smoother, much better machine. I had a 550 prowler and the 550 engine was impressive to me, especially in a heavy prowler. I was thinking if the changes to the 700 were worth the extra cost that would be the way to go, but if not, then the 570 is the best buy out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts