Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after buying this machine new in 2017 it stopped running. I brought it in to get repaired and it turned out that the gas was full of water. A lot fo water! id only added one can of gas at that time and they said it had to be from my gas can. This never made sense to me as this has never happed to any of my machines before ever. Now im here again and im affraid its the same problem again. Only thing Ive noticed out of the ordinary is the gas cap sometimes sucks air when opening it to fill it. And Ive never run the machine in water. Has this happened to anyone else. Could it be from condensation in the tank?

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I have gotten water into the fuel tanks on both of my Cats. First was my 700 Diesel. Lucky that it was 0F and the fuel filter froze solid and shut it down. I discovered it had been leaking in thru the gasket on the top of the fuel tank. Water would set on top and slowly seep in! Darned lucky that I found before it hydrolocked! When I put on the new gasket, I put dielectric grease on it as further insurance to keep out water. Check your vent line, the Diesel returns to tank, but gas models should have a vent. Negative pressure could suck any water that sets on top of the tank inside. I once got 2 - 5 gallon jugs of really bad gas from an Irving station. Mostly water and mud, 1 went into my 700 TRV and the other went into a forklift, total PITA! I wold remove the rear plastics and see whats up with the vent line, then inspect any gasket on top of the tank for tightness. I don't think you should be getting negative pressure in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
8,727 Posts
Impressive info. 🙂
The gasket fix is interesting. I'm curious what other riders have tried as a remedy?

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
favoritos, my 700 TRV is 6 years newer than my Diesel, but someday I will remove the plastics and inspect that gasket. I don't see why water couldn't sit there and seep in should the gasket fail. Haven't heard of any others leaking, but the gasket/seal is not the greatest design. I guess a bit of water in ethanol gas can get burned, but water in diesel is bad.

·
Super Moderator
8,727 Posts
I would think anything that keep water out of the tank is a good thing. Negative pressure in the tank and water on a leaking gasket will certainly not help.
I have no idea how many might leak, but it is worth watching.
You know, it's kinda funny. We had water bowls on vehicles and machines for quite a few generations. There was a reason.

·
Administrator
37,475 Posts
A lot of water means you have a serious leak or some doesn’t like you very much :)

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
where is vehicle parked when not in use, and are you sure where your buying the fuel at, isn;t the issue?
either way I would be draining the tank and starting new and from now on, maybe KEEP tank full, full tank, no place for water to enter??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts