Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying a 2017 Alterra 400 soon. I figure the price is right to upgrade my girls machine. The catalog indicates there are no options for carrying a cargo box and the rack does not have speedracks. I am sure there are others out there who figured out something, what is some good ideas?

Mike

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Does it have a 2" receiver? Harbor Freight makes a nice slide in rack. I get a large plastic tub and strap it on, holds a lot. Think it would hold a deer, even. I think the rack was on sale for $39. If you don't have a receiver hitch, I think a good welder could whip up one easily. Heres a pic on my Diesel. I take the garbage out to the dumpster in it every day. Had the wife on for extra ballast, haha, she's a whopping 110 lbs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have the receiver but putting a cargo box there would get muddy from the tire sling.

Mike

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
You are right, I get a lot of mud, but you could strap or bolt on all kinds of boxes, covered tubs, etc to keep your stuff clean. I'm surprised how you kinda forget it's on there. I think you can even mount a 2" hitch to it and tow a trailer. I have it on my AC 400 now, best $39 I've spent. GL with the new 400 Alterra, heard it's a sweet bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a new Alterra 400 as wel. This is what we bought to go on ours:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019Z2FYV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

So far we found out that it's not as waterproof as what they say but it does work for us. I'll try to post a couple of pics later on...

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not bad, looks like it fits well and it seems to come with its own tie-downs.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few months ago I bought a Koplin rear cargo box for the Alterra and originally used the straps it came with but the box bounced around a lot. I like to remove the box to wash the machine so I came up with this idea using Eye bolts and a few clinch pins. This has been working well for us.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I figured out a pretty good solution that I wanted to share for the other Alterra 400 owners out there. Here are the parts:

1. Plano 68qt Storage Trunk (available at Walmart for $23)
2. Two 5” square U-bolts ($4 each)

Total cost under $35

The trunk is the least expensive I found that was the right size and could be latched tightly. Once it’s bolted on, it’s pretty solid.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts