Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife hit a wicked rut on her 400 this week and flipped it on its side. She is sore but no real damage ...to her. The right front wheel is kicked out a little now. Looks like the toe needs to be adjusted. Nothing else underneath looks bent or out of whack. My question is, can the front tires be aligned off of the back wheels??? I have an idea for making a jig that will fit on the back wheel to align the front off of. Will this work???

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Good to hear that your wife wasnt hurt to bad but I would look at the ATV more to check for a slightly bent tie rod if the toe just suddenly got out of wack from the upset.

A jig should work since one method of setting the toe is to run a string all the way around the center of the ATV, running through the center of all tires/wheels. Then the toe is adjusted and measured from the edge of the tire to the string.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Alignment - and here's the good news. It ain't rocket science, it ain't that hard, and best of all, it doesn't require the toe-in to be exact. I rolled my '03 500 and in so doing screwed up the alignment. I fiddled for days trying to get it right, tried toe-in (what's called for), tried toe-out, both to varying degrees and to be honest there was very little difference in handling any way I set those front wheels as long as it was close. All of my riding is on gravel, 60% improved roads, the remainder trails and the like. With extreme toe-out the machine tended to be a bit darty, but otherwise it didn't seem to make too much difference.

As noted above, the string around the wheels works very well, but first you must set toe-out to equal the toe-in you want to set, then turn the tie-rod the same number of turns beyond what it takes to get the wheel with zero toe. This will become evident as soon as you begin the procedure.

Another, and I think easier way, is to use a straight 2x4 about 8 feet long. Lay it along the side of rear wheel axle high so it just touches the tire on both sides of the axle, front and rear. Adjust the front wheel accordingly. I've also found that leaving the front end on the ground with the weight of the machine on the tires gives a more realistic alignment, but if you do this, you'll need a couple of tie-straps "Xed" from the steering bar to the rear rack to prevent the steering from moving as you turn the adjustment. Bottom line...piece of cake.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, what I was thinking of is taking about a 6' piece of square tubing or angle and attaching two brackets that you could attach under two (opposite ) lug nuts on the rear wheel. This bar would extend up to the front end of the front tire. Make another one that is a little shorter and doesn't stand out as much and attach it to the front wheel (under the lug nuts). You could then measure the distance between the bars and get an accurate measurement. I've attached a poor drawing of my idea.

You would have to make two sets of these. One for each side.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
That would work good. I would suggest that if you don't know which tire is the out of whack is like suggested before: Put the bars where they are straight and then lash it tight so it doesn't move, then adjust from there. Basically if your machine is off on one side and you start there you could really throw off your bars from being straight while going straight....make sense?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have a 2006 400i...Anyways, I am running about 1" of tow-out right now on the front. Is this normal? To be honest, until this thread, I have never really checked my alignment before.

I don't know what "in spec" is?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
1/8" to 1/4" toe in from the front of the tire to the rear of the tire is what the manual calls for. I'm gonna set mine today.

WC

·
Registered
472 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (walkingcrow @ Dec 31 2006, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1/8" to 1/4" toe in from the front of the tire to the rear of the tire is what the manual calls for. I'm gonna set mine today.

WC[/b]

Before I tear into my front end, do I *need* any special tools? Or, is a big hammer and cro-bar enough?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saskabush @ Dec 31 2006, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (walkingcrow @ Dec 31 2006, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WC[/b]

Before I tear into my front end, do I *need* any special tools? Or, is a big hammer and cro-bar enough?
[/b][/quote]

To complete a front end allignment all you will need is a couple of wrenches, one to hold the tie rod and another to loosen the nuts on the tie rod ends.

·
Registered
472 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GoFastCat @ Jan 1 2007, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saskabush @ Dec 31 2006, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (walkingcrow @ Dec 31 2006, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WC[/b]

[/b][/quote]

To complete a front end allignment all you will need is a couple of wrenches, one to hold the tie rod and another to loosen the nuts on the tie rod ends.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the info all! I will try and get to it after today's snow ride...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts