Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my thread from now on regarding my 81 jag 4000 LT. It has the 440 fan with a hex clutch. The clutch is a used replacement that has a ring gear on it for a starter. I'd like to add the electric start to this sled but i cant varify that this model ever came with electric start. The engine block has the drilled and tapped bolt holes for a starter by the look of it. Which older arctic cats used this engine and had electric start that i could use the parts from? Been searching and getting mixed info.Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump? I know one of you has done this. I know they made a ton of ac 440s, were there any changes made to the blocks into the mid 80's?

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
The part number for the 440 F/C engine is 0662-162 which is listed in Jags and Panthers and all the way up to a 95 Panther and 96 Jag. You really need to find a donor sled for all the parts. Biggest change is left front motor mount on electric start models is actually the starter mount too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The part number for the 440 F/C engine is 0662-162 which is listed in Jags and Panthers and all the way up to a 95 Panther and 96 Jag. You really need to find a donor sled for all the parts. Biggest change is left front motor mount on electric start models is actually the starter mount too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks i figured as much and am keeping my eyes peeled for candidates. On another note the old jag is running great after the last carb cleaning and choke fix, i'm proud to say that i own an old sled that starts halfway through the second pull! Thats two primer squirts, full choke and it sputters at one and a half pulls. Then no choke, pull and you've got a perfectly idling machine. This after sitting all week and starting it in low single digits. Yee ha! Pretty stoked. There was still a clutch issue. After reading alot of clutch threads I came to the conclusion it was engaging too soon. Just put a new " no paint " spring in the hex clutch and it rips! Time to ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts