Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have done some stage 5 clutches for T-cats and have not had anyone send me their vids yet of the results, so i decided to make my own. i have a 700H1 which is BONE stock except my clutch mods. i have the videos uploading on youtube now, and will have them linked here as soon as they load.

2008 700H1 BONE STOCK

low range --- 34 mph
high range -- 73 mph

2008 700H1 bone stock with ///AIRDAM stage 1-5 clutch mods

low range --- 41 mph
high range -- 89-90 mph

i did the clutch mods to my personal bike this morning to see the results that could be had from a stock 700H1 with stock tires. i preformed these tests on my bike to show the results that could be had. i have done some T-cats but have not had the owners send me their vids. so i have my own uploading now and will link them here after they load. i have a T-cat owner that has been 95 on his bike with my stage 5 mods, but had bad handle bar shake and let out before he went any further.

youtube vids are slowly uploading

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiai2JRW4ug

LOW RANGE 41 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWPPrt6s-UY

HIGH RANGE 90 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTTr5wxRBHQ

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Makes me wish i had 3.1 s lol

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (///AIRDAM @ Nov 11 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hey guys i have done some stage 5 clutches for T-cats and have not had anyone send me their vids yet of the results, so i decided to make my own. i have a 700H1 which is BONE stock except my clutch mods. i have the videos uploading on youtube now, and will have them linked here as soon as they load.

2008 700H1 BONE STOCK

low range --- 34 mph
high range -- 73 mph

2008 700H1 bone stock with ///AIRDAM stage 1-5 clutch mods

low range --- 41 mph
high range -- 89-90 mph

i did the clutch mods to my personal bike this morning to see the results that could be had from a stock 700H1 with stock tires. i preformed these tests on my bike to show the results that could be had. i have done some T-cats but have not had the owners send me their vids. so i have my own uploading now and will link them here after they load. i have a T-cat owner that has been 95 on his bike with my stage 5 mods, but had bad handle bar shake and let out before he went any further.

youtube vids are slowly uploading

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiai2JRW4ug

LOW RANGE 41 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWPPrt6s-UY

HIGH RANGE 90 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTTr5wxRBHQ[/b]

Wow thats awesome...Are you running your bike on a dyno ?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no just free wheeling on jacks. its about the same as running it on a dynojet, being a no-load dyno. i did this for proving purposes. the gearing and clutching will allow you to pull that MPH if you have the engine capable to pull you there.

the T-cats are geared higher in the tranny, which is why they can do 100mph with the stage 5 clutch mods. the T-cats have a more powerful engine that will allow them to pull more mph than a 700H1. the 700H1 is mainly a torquey engine, made for pulling. the V-twin T-cat is a more powerful higher HP bike that can achieve the MPH and have the most benefits from stages 3,4,5

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (///AIRDAM @ Nov 11 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
no just free wheeling on jacks. its about the same as running it on a dynojet, being a no-load dyno. i did this for proving purposes. the gearing and clutching will allow you to pull that MPH if you have the engine capable to pull you there.

the T-cats are geared higher in the tranny, which is why they can do 100mph with the stage 5 clutch mods. the T-cats have a more powerful engine that will allow them to pull more mph than a 700H1. the 700H1 is mainly a torquey engine, made for pulling. the V-twin T-cat is a more powerful higher HP bike that can achieve the MPH and have the most benefits from stages 3,4,5[/b]

Do you have that racing pod on your 700H1 ?...I'll be talking to my dealer tomorrow

I'd like to know what I am asking them for or do all AC dealers know what the pod

is.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
so can you do the same thing with the clutches in my 650 Vtwin

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i do not have the race pod on my bike, just bone stock with the stock rev limiter.

and regretfully will no i can not do your V2 clutch. there is someone more experienced with those clutches and i'm sure you've heard of him before. i specialize in the arctic cat and suzuki and yamaha based centrifugal roller clutches that use two sheaves, a fixed sheave and a movable sheave with rollers and a fixed plate. your V2 has a slip and grip clutch setup which i am not ready to dive into

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
What are the reslults of the 650 H1?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is honestly unknown. i have done a stage 5 setup on a 650H1 but the owner reported no gains. i believe his tires may have been too large for the engine to pull any faster than he did before. i did the work, but he just never gave me any conclusive results. i told him to run it low and high to top speed like i did my bike to see the difference in speeds but never got any word back on it. i have done another setup and sent it to a race team, and they were going to use it on their 650H1 but i still have not heard back from them on their results with their top speed either.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
///AIRDAM

Waht all does the stage 5 clutch mod consist of ? Just wondering cause time is nearing where I will be ready to send you mine.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (///AIRDAM @ Nov 12 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
that is honestly unknown. i have done a stage 5 setup on a 650H1 but the owner reported no gains. i believe his tires may have been too large for the engine to pull any faster than he did before. i did the work, but he just never gave me any conclusive results. i told him to run it low and high to top speed like i did my bike to see the difference in speeds but never got any word back on it. i have done another setup and sent it to a race team, and they were going to use it on their 650H1 but i still have not heard back from them on their results with their top speed either.[/b]

Hmmm, well i would like to hear more about that situation.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I can not get on his site froma gov. computer so I am still going to need to know waht all the stage 5 consists of.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (canam k @ Nov 12 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My only prob now is trying to get a pod with no limiter. I dunno[/b]
thats not the pod, you need a programmer.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The video makes your clutch work look impressive. But your video is at No load. I hope no one is expecting to hit 89-90 on a 700H1 unless going down a steep hill and with a hard tail wind. I really doubt if the 700H1 could go too much faster then stock in high range with the clutch work unless there was work done to the engine to increase it's HP and torque as well. Just like you reported on the results of the 650H1 the engine ran out of power before it could gain from the benefit from the taller CVT ratio. The 700H1 and the Tcat will also have a limit at some point where wind load cancels out developed engine power in high range. On my Tcat, my rear cargo box increases wind and weight load enough that it will affect and lower my top end because I'm running out of power before the CVT can fully upshift. Making a CVT upshift further is not going to make my ATV faster if it runs out of power first. The only way I could have an equal top speed in high range with or without the cargo box is through engine work to increase HP.

I'm not playing down your CVT work, I think what you are doing is great and at some point I'll be doing the same to my two cats. The ability to have a lower low ratio and same top end ratio (stage 1) or a higher high ratio (stage 5) is a huge benefit and a better idea over shims or smaller rollers alone which result in a lower low ratio and a lower high ratio. However I can see a big benefit to a higher high CVT ratio while in low range with the torque multiplication of the transmission in low range and having enough engine power to take advantage of it. This is a benefit I think would help any ATV from the 400 to Tcats

A Bugatti Veryron with its 16 cylinder 1001 HP engine and a 7 speed tranny will hit speed limited 253 MPH on the track. And guaranteed to do that speed. Put a 300 Hp engine that had the same engine red line RPM in the same car, its top speed on the track would be a lot lower, Guessing Maybe 120-140 MPH. The speed at Red-line in low gear would probably be or should be the same with either engine though. But on a dyno The top speed in high gear would be the same with either engine when under no load. You've got a great idea and providing a great service to Cat and others with the Dura-matic CVT. Careful not to over sell it and end up with disappointed customers.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i am completely aware of this, and i hope not to mislead any potential customers, this run was at on my 700H1, and is for proving purposes. my stock engine would not have the power to pull my 800lb bike plus my 150lb butt to 90 mph. wind resistance, and tires, and weight play an important factor in the top speed of any bike, but on my website i believe i make it fairly clear this is designed for race bikes that want more wheel speed in the mud pits. in low range any engine can benefit from these mods. most every bike has the power to pull higher mph in low range, however unless you have a hopped up engine or a T-cat, reaching speeds above 80mph is unlikely. the proof in the videos is that the gearing is there, however your engine would be the biggest factor to each and everyones own top speed. the only T-cat owner i have that has given me results clearly said that he went up to 95mph and had handle bar shake and let out. i do not know what tires he was running, but he said he had more throttle left which i assume that means he can do over 100 if you have the balls to hold on to it. also he reported 46mph in low range before banging the rev limiter. my bike with its tires can reach my 41 mph limiter in low range with no problems, i tried it last night. however i already know 75+ is out of the question with a bike that is completely stock and has as many miles as mine, however for someone with a 700H1 with HC pistons and head work and a programmer, i dont see why they would not be able to reach maximum top speeds. the extra power can help you go faster as long as the gearing is there. a relatively stock T-cat can do 95+ so i feel for certain that a modded T-cat can do even faster. they have the power to pull the bike to those speeds.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (///AIRDAM @ Nov 12 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i am completely aware of this, and i hope not to mislead any potential customers, this run was at on my 700H1, and is for proving purposes. my stock engine would not have the power to pull my 800lb bike plus my 150lb butt to 90 mph. wind resistance, and tires, and weight play an important factor in the top speed of any bike, but on my website i believe i make it fairly clear this is designed for race bikes that want more wheel speed in the mud pits. in low range any engine can benefit from these mods. most every bike has the power to pull higher mph in low range, however unless you have a hopped up engine or a T-cat, reaching speeds above 80mph is unlikely. the proof in the videos is that the gearing is there, however your engine would be the biggest factor to each and everyones own top speed. the only T-cat owner i have that has given me results clearly said that he went up to 95mph and had handle bar shake and let out. i do not know what tires he was running, but he said he had more throttle left which i assume that means he can do over 100 if you have the balls to hold on to it. also he reported 46mph in low range before banging the rev limiter. my bike with its tires can reach my 41 mph limiter in low range with no problems, i tried it last night. however i already know 75+ is out of the question with a bike that is completely stock and has as many miles as mine, however for someone with a 700H1 with HC pistons and head work and a programmer, i dont see why they would not be able to reach maximum top speeds. the extra power can help you go faster as long as the gearing is there. a relatively stock T-cat can do 95+ so i feel for certain that a modded T-cat can do even faster. they have the power to pull the bike to those speeds.[/b]
Glad to see you clarify and add to this, and I agree with you on the benefit of a stage 5 in low range. A stock Tcat is rated at about 68 HP. I'm at nearly 6000 ft so at this altitude a stock Tcat is loosing about 18% horsepower, (Or any engine) below what it would develop at sea level. So figure I'm turning out about 59-60 HP here with my mods. I'm also pushing extra weight over a stock Thundercat, I've installed a winch, both front and rear bumpers, heavier duty racks and a stainless steel skid plate and Bighorn 26 inch tires on 14" rims. Plus my 170 lb ass. My cargo box with bare essentials in it adds another 50-60 lbs maybe plus another 6 sq ft of wind load. My engine is stock but with dual exhaust, improved air intake and a fuel controller. And if I were at sea level I'm pretty sure I'd be pushing nearly 73HP. Granted I'm way above the published 716 Lb dry weight of a Thundercat and by choice. However I'm running out of power in high range. Granted a few more engine mods would help, but higher CVT gearing would not help me much at all in high range top speed with 3.1 differentials. I've reached my limits on power to weight ratio for my location on my Tcat. I've since replaced my 3.1 diffs with 3.6 diffs, with this setup with your stage 5 mod I probably could better my 70-72 mph top end I have now do to the lower diff gearing.

I will add this as someone who has done a fair amount of machine work and knowing what many machine shop labor rates are, I think Airdams prices are reasonable.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah you are correct. power to weight ratio is key. a stock bike with no power adders wont benefit from the stage 5 mods nearly as much as would a modded bike. a more powerful bike cn use its power to pull the extra gearing created and go faster top speed.

regardless of the bike, low range wheel speed is there. any and all bikes can benefit from it. the top speed runs is where the more powerful bikes will shine

1 - 20 of 40 Posts