Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 2006 400 TRV ... after 600km I decided to check my plug as the bike's exhaust was smellling somewhat rich and a bit smokey. It was a bit blacker then I expected and had deposits on the tip. So while I'm in here I might as well check the air/fuel screw. Does anyone know the stock setting for it? As well how is the pilot screw adjusted on this carb, there's only one air/fuel adjustment screw on the outside of the carb?

Thx Joe

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Correct setting for this is with engine warmed up, turn screw in till engine rpm drops then back out to the highest rpm then turn it back in 1/8 turn. In=Lean Out= Rich Then run it around some and check your plug, if its still black, you may need to move up to a one step hotter plug. Also check your air cleaner, a dirty air cleaner will cause a rich condition.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GunRunner @ Jan 18 2007, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Correct setting for this is with engine warmed up, turn screw in till engine rpm drops then back out to the highest rpm then turn it back in 1/8 turn. In=Lean Out= Rich Then run it around some and check your plug, if its still black, you may need to move up to a one step hotter plug. Also check your air cleaner, a dirty air cleaner will cause a rich condition.[/b]

That would be the air/fuel mixture screw below correct on the very bottom of the pic/carb that needs to be turned when hot ? ..... no pilot screw adj ? I do have a dynojet install to do over the next couple of weeks and I will photo log the episode for all to see but for now I thought a dry run to check everything would be good only to find the blackened plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JandJsTA @ Jan 18 2007, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GunRunner @ Jan 18 2007, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct setting for this is with engine warmed up, turn screw in till engine rpm drops then back out to the highest rpm then turn it back in 1/8 turn. In=Lean Out= Rich Then run it around some and check your plug, if its still black, you may need to move up to a one step hotter plug. Also check your air cleaner, a dirty air cleaner will cause a rich condition.[/b]

That would be the air/fuel mixture screw below correct on the very bottom of the pic/carb that needs to be turned when hot ? ..... no pilot screw adj ? I do have a dynojet install to do over the next couple of weeks and I will photo log the episode for all to see but for now I thought a dry run to check everything would be good only to find the blackened plug.
[/b][/quote]

Yep that would be the screw at the very bottom (outside the bowl) that needs to be turned, sometimes a real PITA to do when warm. For my DVX just using a flat tip screw driver bit end will work turning it with your hand.
Check your owners manual for stock settings (normally around 2-2.5 turns out from seated). Do what GunRunner said for adjusting it and that should get you where you need to be.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GoFastCat @ Jan 18 2007, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JandJsTA @ Jan 18 2007, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GunRunner @ Jan 18 2007, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Yep that would be the screw at the very bottom (outside the bowl) that needs to be turned, sometimes a real PITA to do when warm. For my DVX just using a flat tip screw driver bit end will work turning it with your hand.
Check your owners manual for stock settings (normally around 2-2.5 turns out from seated). Do what GunRunner said for adjusting it and that should get you where you need to be.
[/b][/quote]

Cool, that is going to be a real treat .... it's like 3" off the crank case .. can you see nano bots ;) ... here's a pic of the carb slide, stock spring and needle from the other end :)

You guys want any other shots while I'm in here??? speak now as I'm going drinkin tonight in about an hour. it's got to be back together by then ( no I'm not riding while drinking )

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why not? The only time I ride is when I drink. That way my four-wheeler is tougher. And so am I. It's when we sober up when we find stuff broken. Drink a few, and you will forget all about that black plug, smoking, or what ever it was. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalk @ Jan 18 2007, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why not? The only time I ride is when I drink. That way my four-wheeler is tougher. And so am I. It's when we sober up when we find stuff broken. Drink a few, and you will forget all about that black plug, smoking, or what ever it was. :beer_cheers:[/b]

:super_happy: I should have ..... puttin that slide vacum back together was a biatch !!! but she's together and running ..... couldn't help doing the slide mod while I was in there ;) .... it's off to wing/beer night :beer_cheers:

EDIT: for the auto choke guys that were having problems, if you don't get it seated perfect it idles like snot .... I had to seat it twice to get it right .. thought I buggered the carb ;) so it might do you guys some good to undo the single screw and try and reseat it ... just might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I beleive on the cats on the left front frame it has the stock specs for air screw and spark plug and such.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay guys, help me out. I adusted the air/fuel screw from 2 1/2 turns out from snug to 2 turns ( I did it twice to double check) and it had no performace effect, good or bad and the plug is still black, that make any sense???? The bike is stock except for 26" mudlites?? air filter clean and no air restrictions.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Did you put a new plug in it? If not theres no way your going to tell. YOu can always go down a half turn to 1.5 and see if you feel anything. Make sure the engine is warm first. You should notice a more snappy throttle response when a little lean.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoopie @ Jan 21 2007, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did you put a new plug in it? If not theres no way your going to tell. YOu can always go down a half turn to 1.5 and see if you feel anything. Make sure the engine is warm first. You should notice a more snappy throttle response when a little lean.[/b]

I took the plug out cleaned it and regapped it to spec ... it was clean before I went for a 100km ride yesterday .... set it to 1 3/4 turns and going for another ride today.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been playing with this carb all day trying to resolve a black plug ... set air/fuel screw to 1 3/4 and went for a ride. Float started to overflow out the overflow tube ever so slightly. Had to return home and reset the float height. Now I no longer have an idle problem when the auto choke goes off, works the way it should for now, starts at 2,000 rpm and settles into 1,300rpm and after 3 mins and doesn't stall over & over ....... how could the carb be so messed up from the factory?? .... shouldn't have to go through this with a new bike when the dealer should have caught this the first time around when they changed the choke and it didn't help the stalling problem bang your head !! (rant off)

Now I will need to start from the bottom of the air/fuel cycle all over again now that the bowl height has been changed. Glad I like to play, but it's damn cold out there, even in the garage ;)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
good to see you got it right. damn garbage stealers, i mean dealers!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoopie @ Jan 22 2007, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
good to see you got it right. damn garbage stealers, i mean dealers![/b]

It's a shame when you have a 2 year warranty but you're to afraid to take it to the dealer to use ;) last time I took the bike in to get the mudlite tires put on and the choke swapped out (one screw and 2 wires) it took them 3 days !!! ... DJ kit just got delivered to the house ..... perfect timing :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get home today, pick up the DJ kit in the mailbox all happy like, got the carb set up correctly and the choke/idle is working good now :super_happy: .... go into the garage to find oil on the garage floor bang your head ..... No not engine oil ... lube oil .. the damn right front axle seal is leaking all over with only 700km on the clock, now it's off to the dealer like it or not :angry_mad:

I'm beginning to think I got a Mon/Fri real remon on my hands bang your head ... where's that Cat satisfaction poll :devil_angry:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts