Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I came across several good posts about this on the net. Just hit it with filter cleaner, then dish soap, then rinse thoroughly. To oil it, put it in a gallon ziplock and poor the recommended amount, generally 1 oz, of filter oil inside the filter. Close the bag and work the oil through the filter. Then open the bag and let it dry for about a half hour before handling. Put it back on and you're good to go.

The bag keeps the thinner from evaprating before the oil is properly distributed.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Best way? I don't think there is one. There are lots of opinions though.

I clean mine in solvent and soak them with oil and then squeeze out the excess. I've never seen the backside of the filter get dirty yet.

Jay

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've raced dirt bikes for years and always used a product make by No-Toil filters. You can throw your dirty filters in the washing machine to clean them. I don't have my 700 yet but if the filters are like dirt bikes, that's what I'll be doing...

·
Registered
257 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrazyTed @ Apr 10 2007, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've raced dirt bikes for years and always used a product make by No-Toil filters. You can throw your dirty filters in the washing machine to clean them. I don't have my 700 yet but if the filters are like dirt bikes, that's what I'll be doing...[/b]

I f my wife found out that i did that with the washing machine, she would lose it!!!

Mitch

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
What about those k&N filter cleaning + oiling kits ? It seems to me this stuff should work as after you use the cleaner you spray the oil on , works great on my car, anyone try this???

·
Registered
263 Posts
The area I ride in usually has A LOT of dust. I have found that a little shot of liquid tide in a bucket or sink with some hot water works great. Just rinse thuroughly, let it air dry and spray on some oil.

Works like a charm!!!!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I rinsed mine out with Gas and let it dry, then oiled it with chainsaw bar and chain oil since it is really sticky in a ziplock baggy.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
simply green and some bel ray air filter oil works great, the kits by K and N and Uni work good also but they are a little expensive. my2cents Dog

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Heres a cheap way, get some dish soap and a bucket wash the filter in that, dry it good, shop vac when dry then put a lil oil (any bottled oil) in a bread bag, place the filter in the bag and squeeze it around until the whole filter got some oil, if excess soak up with paper towel and away you go.. Dont bother spending money on "K&N" oil etc.. This method gets the job done just fine!..lol..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have one of those K&N kits but ran out of the cleaner so I filled up the sink with super hot water and Dawn dish soap a gave it a good scrubbing, it came really clean. Then after air drying in the hot sun after squeezing most of the water out of course, I put the K&N filter spray oil on it and put it back in. K&N seems to know there stuff every one I have put in my automobiles has gotten a noticeable power increase. I am assuming their oil is specially made for filter but if you read the ingredients it my be the same or simmular to other oils. I would be leary of using any kind of oil though and causing internal problems with rubber or gaskets inside of carburetors or throttle bodies. Just a thought, you guys seem to be really in tune with your mechanica abilities and I have gotten some great advice from everyone. I plan to put a K&N when I can locate one for my 700 AC, or does anyone know if they do already, I will get on their website and check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts