Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got out and put some miles on my 94 ZR700 with the AGLT front end mod, steering post mod, and a M-10 suspension. I went to Old Forge and rode on thursday and friday. I put about 300 miles on the sled in two days and I was really impressed with the way it handled, especially the way the suspension handled the bumps. There wasn't a ton of snow but there was plenty to check out the performance of the suspension.

On sections of trail where there were 10 to 12 inch roller bumps I could just stay sitting down and the suspension would just suck up the bumps. No pounding of the rider, no back compression hits, no bottoming out, just complete control with the steering of the machine. I think sitting farther fwd on the machine and the increased front end travel helped in these bump conditions.

On sections of the trail where the snow had drifted though the woods and was deeper there were some good size bumps. On these sections I could stand up, lean forward a little, crack the throttle and the front end of the ZR would float through big bumps. The front end would rise up but the ski's stayed in contact with the snow and I had complete control. Wow, there is alot of travel in the AGLT front end! It was unbelievable. As the riding went on I found myself continuing to figure out how well the sled handled and just continued to be amazed at how well it rode through the bumps and how well I could control it in rough trail conditions.

Last year with the stock suspension on this snowmobile it was routine to find a line of snowmobiles behind me as I got tossed around, took back compressing hits from the suspension bottoming out and just slowed down because that was all I could do with the capabilities of the snowmobile. On these two days of riding I never once looked back and saw a line of sleds behind me. I really felt like I was just cruising through the trails easily and could not believe it was the same snowmobile.

If you are considering modifying your snowmobile with the AGLT front end and steering post modifications, do it. The modifications pay off tremendously with the handling performance of the snowmobile. You don't have to buy a new snowmobile to get an updated suspension, and AWS-4 snowmobile with an AGLT/AWS-5 front end and a newer skid (m-10 or newer arctic cat suspension) is AW5OME!!! There is plenty of resource information on this website to update your machine. As far as I can tell the motors of today are not producing any more torque or horsepower than the motors in the older machines, the focus seems mainly in developing new geometry suspensions and handling improvments. So an older snowmobile with an new suspension = great deal, and should be seriously considered before trading in your machine.

Thanks again to the poineer, AG, and all those who posted information on the AGLT front end modification. Without your assistance and information on this website I would have never undertaken this project. Not worthy: thumbguy :chug:

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Awesome! Glad I was able to share the mod info with ArcticChat members like you. :chug:

Also, great ride report!

The engineers began conception & design of that AWS4 chassis in either the late 80's or early 90's, and has proven to be a great chassis. Too bad there was never a stock sled offered with this setup... Because for the most of it, it's all stock Cat parts anyway.

If the race regs didn't have an upper limit of 41" stance back then, the stockers could have come with longer/wider arms and the travel would've also gone up proportionately. The chassis had what it takes, even back then!

It would have been as good as today's front ends, if not better... But available 13 years ago.

Can you imagine a sled with that kind of handling & suspension performance back then? It would've created a huge stir in the snowmobile world back then to have a sled that can do what has only become 'stock' handling in the last couple years.

Thanks for the ride report! :chug:

·
Registered
594 Posts
merlincat two :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
that's great !!! I just went and picked up my a-arms and steering tubes today . They didn't have the right size shocks but I found a place to order them . so the build begins tomorrow night .Hopefully I can get it done by next weekend .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts