Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
One thing no one has mentioned yet (I have asked a few times), do you have any trail fitment issues? Like riding smaller trails (example being by friends place has a 1/4 mile winding trail through their property out to the public trail) or trails that narrow down to one sled wide?

I also, don;t think any of the older Triples, or even the ZR3 front end equipped sleds are that great to carve with period,
the difference in more modern sleds and there ability to do so in comfort and fun, and handling is huge!
better off saving your $$ and buying a different sled if off trail powder playing is your main concern!
Yeah, none of them are comparable to a new sled. But that doesn't mean they can't. The biggest limitation is the running boards to be honest. The handlebar height is too, but that can be fixed for cheap and done easily. I just put a 3" riser on mine and was having no issues carving with it, except those blasted amazing 90's running boards.

But I just ask because as with anything, we want our cake and to eat it to. Just because somethings not great doesn't mean it's not possible, or not beneficial (I can take much sharper corners in powder carving than I can just sitting on the seat like it's a lazy-boy). So I was just curious on the effects of the extra width.

What Harry did was NOTHING SPECIAL, remember this, folks. He didn’t build anything, he only swapped out parts that were oem.
I don't think anyone is debating that. I think the emphasis has always been specifically on that it was done that way (stock parts rather than built). Look at how many performance companies have collapsed over the years, or even those that exist just don't sell the parts for our sleds they use to. That's the only reason people are able to still complete this mod, because it is stock parts. If he was the first to document it, I would say that's something special, it's helped others in the community despite whatever other pots he has stirred.

But I don't see why any of this matters, this post was just to see what documentation existed for each front end setup, rather than tout those who created them or drag their names through the mud.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Kurgan, it sounds like your mind is already made up against the AGLT mod, so go with the other one.

I have done this to 2 Tcats, and will likely be doing it to a 600 triple this summer. I do about 90% trail riding and 10% off trail. Wisconsin trails can be quite narrow, but have never had problem with this mod on the trails...don't think I've ever seen a trail "that" narrow in my 35 years of riding. I would never ride one of these old sleds again without this mod, period. The only drawback I could see, as mentioned, is if you have to load sleds side by side on a trailer. Not an issue for me though as I have an enclosed inline trailer.

For Greg and C note, I think you're being disrespectful to Harry, but to each his own. This mod wouldn't be as well known as it is if it wasn't for him.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
One thing no one has mentioned yet (I have asked a few times), do you have any trail fitment issues? Like riding smaller trails (example being by friends place has a 1/4 mile winding trail through their property out to the public trail) or trails that narrow down to one sled wide?

Yeah, none of them are comparable to a new sled. But that doesn't mean they can't. The biggest limitation is the running boards to be honest. The handlebar height is too, but that can be fixed for cheap and done easily. I just put a 3" riser on mine and was having no issues carving with it, except those blasted amazing 90's running boards.

But I just ask because as with anything, we want our cake and to eat it to. Just because somethings not great doesn't mean it's not possible, or not beneficial (I can take much sharper corners in powder carving than I can just sitting on the seat like it's a lazy-boy). So I was just curious on the effects of the extra width.

I don't think anyone is debating that. I think the emphasis has always been specifically on that it was done that way (stock parts rather than built). Look at how many performance companies have collapsed over the years, or even those that exist just don't sell the parts for our sleds they use to. That's the only reason people are able to still complete this mod, because it is stock parts. If he was the first to document it, I would say that's something special, it's helped others in the community despite whatever other pots he has stirred.

But I don't see why any of this matters, this post was just to see what documentation existed for each front end setup, rather than tout those who created them or drag their names through the mud.
No trail issues that I have ever had. Only limitation that I experienced was post #11 loading in trailer. Not sure but I am thinking it is like 46" stance outside. All I can add is for what ever reasons anyone has had in the past with Harry, I am sorry but, I am glad he chose to share. Made my sled great!

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
the bulk head is wider on the aws 4 giving it a super wide stance. He did Nothing other than bolt new parts on a old sled. I just did the same thing to my 2019 by bolting on a 2020 front. It was not hard
I guess I never stopped to think about it that way.

·
Administrator
19,994 Posts
For Greg and C note, I think you're being disrespectful to Harry, but to each his own. This mod wouldn't be as well known as it is if it wasn't for him.
Jim, like I mentioned to Jeff last night, Harry is nothing as some happen to (still) perceive him as.
If it were possible for me to provide a working link (that won’t come up as an error/blank) from the moderator forum, I honestly think you’d 💩 your britches if you were to read some of the 💩 he has said about some very respected members of this site (yes, I’m included among them).

He is a computer genius and he used his WPM typing skills to create his long winded posts to form a line of lemmings/minions for himself. It took me stumbling upon what my eyes could not believe one day to fully grasp just how rude and conceited he truly is!!

I went over on ai and ripped him a new one via a pm, and this was (long) after he’d last been a “visitor” on this site (showing he’d even been here to the log in page, thus creating any activity)

I have no regrets for my actions towards whom I’d once thought was a very stand up guy, only to find he’d created gobs of static on this site over his years here, and continued to promote that very same static, when he should have been doing just the opposite.
2 other mods were also involved with his 2-faced ways, ftr.

So, yes, to each their own. I have an opinion as well as does Greg and another good friend on here of mine. I don’t want to lose that good friend from here, he’s been here for several years and is thinking of just throwing in the towel due to a huge blinding affect Harry has instilled upon some here.

·
Administrator
19,994 Posts
No trail issues that I have ever had. Only limitation that I experienced was post #11 loading in trailer. Not sure but I am thinking it is like 46" stance outside. All I can add is for what ever reasons anyone has had in the past with Harry, I am sorry but, I am glad he chose to share. Made my sled great!
Jeff, it’s great that he shared! I get that!

I’m saying that some here hold him as a God! For doing nothing more than as mentioned, taking some variants of compatible oem components and bolting them onto a “certain” compatible chassis lineup.

Let’s see him have done his AGLT results on let’s say... a 1993 EXT 580Z... but guess what, that’s something beyond his capabilities. He’s not an engineer (as many seem to think he is), that’s the whole point being made by Greg, Jeff H and I.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

mrbb said:

I also, don;t think any of the older Triples, or even the ZR3 front end equipped sleds are that great to carve with period,
the difference in more modern sleds and there ability to do so in comfort and fun, and handling is huge!
better off saving your $$ and buying a different sled if off trail powder playing is your main concern!

well I never said you couldn;t do it, I said there are better sleds out there for off trail playing

and its NOT just the running boards and or handle bars
its the seat, and the fact center of gravity is much lower on these older sleds by design
so, again, they do NOT carve off trail any where near what some other sleds can do

the amount of money to FIX a non designed sled to MAKE IT< into something, many times ends up a LOT cheaper to just Save that $$ and BUY a sled of a better design is, my point!

I love them older sleds, the looks and sounds are great, I spent a lot of $$ having one built(By Tcat446)
and in the end, I ended up going to a newer sled, as all the mods made, didn;t help me with my back and bad knee's to ride quality it as I hoped they would!

and I honestly like the looks of older sled better and sounds of a good triple, are priceless to me!
well to a point,
I spent the $$ TRYING to make it into what I wanted, but in the end, it just wasn't there for me, too many things just not up to what more modern sleds are in many area's

so, just cause again you can MOD something, doesn;t mean you will make it into what your hoping for, there are limits to what a chassis can be made into!
to many without means or skill set, the cost to MOD/MAKE something alone can make the cause for again, saving up and just buying something else in the first place! that has a jump start on what it will do!
ANY sled can be made better, but they all have limits to how far you can take them!

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
As I recall, he used to push the post mod along with his AGLT. I think I was working on that on my sled about the same time he was and it's a huge plus too but requires additional changes for some of us. Oh, and the SLP Powder Pro's.!! I did get a set at his recommendation but they're still in the box in the garage rafters.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Oh, and the SLP Powder Pro's.!! I did get a set at his recommendation but they're still in the box in the garage rafters.
Jeff, PUT THOSE SKIS ON!!!! I started using them about 10-12 years ago and won't ride a sled without them. Have them on both T cats, Z1 turbo, and son's F6.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Kurgan, it sounds like your mind is already made up against the AGLT mod, so go with the other one.

I have done this to 2 Tcats, and will likely be doing it to a 600 triple this summer. I do about 90% trail riding and 10% off trail. Wisconsin trails can be quite narrow, but have never had problem with this mod on the trails...don't think I've ever seen a trail "that" narrow in my 35 years of riding. I would never ride one of these old sleds again without this mod, period. The only drawback I could see, as mentioned, is if you have to load sleds side by side on a trailer. Not an issue for me though as I have an enclosed inline trailer.
That's why I made this post, there is some documentation out there for AGLT mods, but next to nothing for BPLT. Some people posting pictures of their setups, seems some guesses at part numbers. But today I was just watch an Indy Evo 550 review where they updated the front end and they stated that the front end was 48" wide? So I guess maybe AGLT isn't as far outside the norms as I thought it was.

No trail issues that I have ever had. Only limitation that I experienced was post #11 loading in trailer. Not sure but I am thinking it is like 46" stance outside.
46" to the outside of the ski's? Interesting, I had always heard C to C on that measurement. With what I heard about that Indy I mentioned about and you saying this, AGLT is sounding more tempting.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
As mentioned, the only time you'd have a problem is side by side in a trailer. Even then you can get creative by putting a 2x4 under each ski, so one sleds ski sits above the other.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
again, I was able to fit a AGLT and BPLT side by side in my trailer, an enclosed 8.5 wide one, I don't or cannot find any pic's I had of them,(know I had some?? just MIA right now)
but they did fit without any need for anything special to be done
just drove them in as always, and ski's did NOT need to be lifted or, anything, they fit together side by side no over lapping on ski's

BUT NOT all enclosed trailers are as wide , some are narrower, pending maker and model!

but here are some pic's of the BPLT and a newer XF 7000 with ski's set at as wide as they go from factory
and as you can see there is several inches of room between skis, and the XF is NOT flush against the wall side, so even more room

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
also to note I had my AGLT and the XF in trailer as well and NO ski was riding on top of the other, they fit just fine AS IS< with a slight space between them!
NOW<
if needed
I can for sure see, one ski could ride up inside of the other and gain you 2 inches or so of room, without any special thing done, just over riding one ski on the other!
but would have to unload based on where ski's were! and not be able to just pull either out at will!

SO I do think, both a AGLT and BPLT can be done on most any 8.5 wide trailer, without any special mods, unless your 8.5 is really narrow! on the inside of sides!??

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
So I'm looking at a AGLT setup. I think it's all off a 2001 Sno Pro Sno Cross sled. The kid selling it doesn't seem to have an idea. But matching up the PN's for the shocks that's what they are from (0703-788 and 0703-789). So I'm making the assumption all of this came off the same sled. The top arm on those sled matches the PN needed for AGLT. But the bottom arms don't. From what I see AGLT needs 0703-710 and 0703-711, but the 01 Sno Pro SX has 0703-830 and 0703-831. Looking up those PN's on search under this subsection brings up 2 results (this being one of them).

So I'm curious if this will do me any good. Will those bottom arms work? The shocks are 18.6" eye to eye, are they too long?

I haven't picked the setup up yet, just asked him for pictures and details. His only details were it's an AGLT setup, he didn't know much else.

No spindles with it sadly, but it sounds like my 98 spindles will work, but they need to be machined?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes you will need to machine your spindles for clearance. I don't know about the A Arms, could be paint color is the reason for the part number difference you are seeing. Someone else may chime in here.

As far as the mod itself goes, I have a 98 ZRT600 AGLT with a 136 inch skid under it and it is by far the best thing I could ever have done to my sled. I rode 4,000 miles on original sled and have 2,000 on the mod and still cannot believe the difference in ride and handling. I'm running a 1.35 cobra track unstudded and cat skis with 6 inch shaper bars (per Tcat446 advice) and it rails corners on trails as predicted. I say mod it and don't look back, your T-cat will thank you, so will your back.

·
Super Moderator
8,225 Posts
also to note I had my AGLT and the XF in trailer as well and NO ski was riding on top of the other, they fit just fine AS IS< with a slight space between them!
NOW<
if needed
I can for sure see, one ski could ride up inside of the other and gain you 2 inches or so of room, without any special thing done, just over riding one ski on the other!
but would have to unload based on where ski's were! and not be able to just pull either out at will!

SO I do think, both a AGLT and BPLT can be done on most any 8.5 wide trailer, without any special mods, unless your 8.5 is really narrow! on the inside of sides!??
If it isn’t binding it’s good to go. If you are “machining” spindles you have a combo from 3 different sleds. The arms all from the same sled should all fit together and work.

·
Super Moderator
8,225 Posts
I probably quoted the wrong person. My phon dose not work well on this. To test it pull the shocks and cycle it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The fact is the mod requires the use of the older spindles which are not relieved or machined for the clearance like the newer spindles come from the factory so you have to machine them regardless. The stock 98 triples have 6.75 inches of front travel and the mod provides nearly double that, the clearance is for the crossover pipe on the lower A-Arm. I did the mod as it was outlined in many posts on here and it works. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to prove I knew better, snow was on the ground and I wanted to ride. I rode my sled out of the garage and started hitting bumps with it, I hooted and hollered, laughed in my helmet it was so cool.

I don't care if AG beat his own dog, I thank him for helping me improve my cat. I have gotten far less helpful advice from people considered more valuable on this site. Let that one marinate.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts