Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing some better shocks for my Diesel 2015 ATV. I was wondering if anyone had installed some Elka or Fox shocks to theirs, and if so, which model?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I know that Matt Whitbread raved about the Elkas on his "Turbo Diesel". Curious what your complaints are with the stock ones. my Diesel is a 2008 and has been used hard, but the shocks still give good control , even with 2 people riding on rough terrain. The Diesel does have very heavy duty springs, though, good for heavy trailer and snow plow use. I would contact Elka and expect to pay a lot.....

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
I love my Elkas, no body roll , no diving in corners and man what a smooth ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue I have is that I head away for a few days at a time, and load up the back. The original shocks are OK, though the wheels have a tendency to bow in, and I was looking for some shocks that I could pretension to accommodate a higher load. I'd also hope that this would eliminate the camber lean.

I contacted an Elka Dealer, quoting the model and year of my ATV. He said that Elka could not confirm a matching set of shocks for the 700 SD Diesel. I even went as far to measure the length of the shocks from eye to eye on the bolts. What I am confused about is that they can supply a shock for a 700EFI, which is basically the same suspension as a SD diesel. Incidentally, the 700EFI has a different Arctic Cat part number for it's shocks vs a 700 SD diesel. I am wondering if this is to do with the strength of the shocks, as the SD diesel is seen as more of a work horse/utility ATV? I'd love to know the length of a shock on the 700EFI from eye to eye, as I think that that would let me confirm that the Elka shock would fit.

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
The diesel is a lot heavier machine so the springs will be heavier. Shocks are most likely the same. Have you adjusted your shocks ?

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
There is also Bronco shocks.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
You must be putting a serious load on her. Last year I hauled about 6 cord of split firewood through some really narly woods trails to my house. I did see some negative camber, but it handled the bumps very well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
shocks elkas

i did not put replacements on our 4x4
but on both for our kfx 700 i put on elkas
i am never sorry we bought them.
have them setup for my weight and agressive ridding.
i can soften them up for the wife.

i highly recommend them.
get your length measurements compressed, ride height, and fully extended.
you might have to measure bolt hole I.D. on your current setup.
i am sure they will work with you get you a set.

·
Super Moderator
4,506 Posts
The diesel was a very limited production. The ATV's that would likely have the same parts or most similar are the 700 or 1000 TRV or the 700 TBX. I would use the parts sites to compare parts numbers. As far as I know they should all bolt up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some research and found out that the part number for the Diesel SD shocks match a 650 H1 for a 2007 model - they are the same part number. Elka manufacture stage 1, 2, 3, and 4 shocks for the 650 H1, so I should be good to go ordering them for a 650 H1. The payload that I plan to have on he back is around 250lbs, so I will have the shocks preloaded when I purchase them.

I head out in the outback for days at a time, so need to be generous on the fuel and water. You can get in a bind pretty quickly if you're not prepared, and there is no second chances out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
OzzieCat
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing