Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Aftermarket power steering

27K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  doorfx 
#1 ·
What do you all think about this product? I wonder if it's too soon for a really good aftermarket power steering unit or is this one the real deal? Maybe it is just the ticket?
I would bet if someone were able to get the dimensions it could be retrofitted into a ThunderCat!!!!

http://allterrainresearch.net/polaris-spor...power-steering/

#2 ·
Looking at the ATR unit vs the new AC unit the ATR looks really small I dunno But then again AC claims their unit is the largest most powerful power steering unit on the market with 33% more power than the closest competitor?
Even so.... If the ATR was not on par with the new AC unit but still a major improvement it would still be a great bolt on and IMO worth the $1200 price tag.... Which is about what AC or any of the manufacturers are asking for their PS models.

#5 ·
After my wife rolled her TRV last spring and broke her shoulder I decided that power steering would help prevent a re-occurence. I called and talked to ATR about the potential of a kit for AC's. They indicated that a kit may be available late this year at the earliest. In the conversation he mentioned that the electric power steering unit out of a Chev Cobalt might be adaptable into a four wheeler. So I have purchased a unit from a wrecking yard ($150) and am going to see if I can adapt it in. I connected 12 volts to it and it appears to work. So if it can be fitted into the frame it might work. That will be my next project hopefully starting in a couple of weeks or so. I will take pictures and share the results if I can make it work. I have not been able to find any other source to try to put ps on her machine. If this doesn't work maybe we will have to spring for one of those new blue 550 TRVs with power steering.

#6 ·
Didn't realize that there was a automotive "electric drive" power steering unit on the market. Interesting.... Please do keep us informed. Maybe you could get the ball rolling with posting pics and unit dimensions??? That would be a pretty darn cool retro-fit if you pull it off!

#7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheezy @ Feb 7 2010, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Too bad you can't retrofit the new cat P/S into the older cats. I see where they had to "modify" the frame to make it fit.[/b]
Where are you seeing pictures of the power steering in the machine?

#8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m74me @ Feb 8 2010, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So I have purchased a unit from a wrecking yard ($150) and am going to see if I can adapt it in. I connected 12 volts to it and it appears to work. So if it can be fitted into the frame it might work. That will be my next project hopefully starting in a couple of weeks or so. I will take pictures and share the results if I can make it work. I have not been able to find any other source to try to put ps on her machine. If this doesn't work maybe we will have to spring for one of those new blue 550 TRVs with power steering.[/b]

Please keep updateing on how this mod goes!!!! Sounds like an affordable conversion on any quad! I would love it on my mudpro!

#9 ·
Here are three pictures of the power steering unit I have. It is significantly larger than the ones shown in the ATR pictures. It looks like it will be a tight fit but might be manageable. It certainly should be beefy enough. If I can get the project going I'll take pictures and post them. I will be attempting to put it in a '05 500 TRV. If it works in there then I will get another one and put it in my '07 650 H1 TRV.

The control box is supposed to sense the movement of the shaft and assist as needed. There are no other connections in the car. I've connected 12v to the unit and it drives both directions. So I am in hopes that it will function properly if I can fit it in. One thing that I have wondered about is that in the car it would turn the wheels lock to lock with 2 or 3 full revolutions of the steering wheel wheras in the atv it would be about 90 degrees of steering turn lock to lock. But the guy I talked to at ATR seemed to indicate that it should work. It will be an interesting project.

Attachments

#11 ·
How many amps dose it draw when working ? under a load .
Will the cat have amps to run this my cat only has 25 amp charging system .
I no if you drive with the lights on and are drawing extra power for that may have some problems ,low battery.
I am thinking about putting bigger tires on all fours that would be nice to not brake my back !

#12 ·
There is nothing on the power steering unit that indicates what the power use is. But both of our machines have 25 amp charging circuits as well. We have good batteries in both and have never had problems even with the lights. I have a winch and have not had problems plowing snow. So I am hoping it will work out. But first things first. It has to fit in and work acceptably before the power consumption could be a problem anyway. Time will tell.

#16 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Feb 12 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hey guys i think i just found where cat is getting there power steering.....
here is 3 pics 2 from flaming river and one is from cat,,, id say there the same...[/b]
Nice find catwalkin! you have a web site for that? They give any further info on the unit or a cost?

#17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CZDiesel @ Feb 12 2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Feb 12 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey guys i think i just found where cat is getting there power steering.....
here is 3 pics 2 from flaming river and one is from cat,,, id say there the same...[/b]
Nice find catwalkin! you have a web site for that? They give any further info on the unit or a cost?
[/b][/quote]

as a matter of fact i do,, have you ever heard of flaming river products,, they make alot of hot rod parts,, racknpinion;s manual steering boxes all kinds of steering components...

you ready for the cost,,, $1900.00 for the complete system, then you have to to the mods...

i think im liking the 2005 and up chevy colbolt unit if i was to tinker....

#21 ·
It looks like that couple of weeks turned into a couple of months. I finally took some time today to tear my wife's TRV down today to see if I can mount the PS unit in. I removed the front rack, all of the plastic, the radiator, the fuel tank and the pod and handlebars to open it up where I could see if it will fit. The first picture shows it stripped down. The second shows the cavity inside the frame from the right side. There is a pretty good size cavity in there. Then I set the steering unit in there to see if it looked like it would fit (nest picture). It should be plenty of room. So I pulled the steering shaft our to see if there is room to put the steering unit in the middle of it (next picture). I think it should work. So the next step is to figure out how to mount the steering unit in the shaft. I went back and disassembled the rest of the steering column from the Cobalt to get the shaft out of it with the spline that will fit the shaft on the steering unit. The last picture is of that shaft.

I want to put the ps unit in the shaft without having to weld it in if possible. I will use the spline from the Cobalt in the top and weld that to the top part of the TRV column. The bottom shaft of the ps unit actually fits snug in the TRV shaft. So I think I can bolt that together with a couple of grade 5 bolts through both shafts at 90 deg. from each other. I cut the top part of the Cobalt steering column shaft off where it tapers down and I will have my son who is a machinist make me a bushing that will fit the o.d. of the TRV shaft and the inside of the large portion of the Cobalt shaft. That should keep all of the new assembly all concentric so the shaft will turn smoothly. I will weld all of that up and then slide the spline down over the top shaft of the ps unit and clamp it in place. I had to cut the top short section of spline off of the long shaft on the ps unit in order to keep itshort enough to maintain the TRV shaft length. That will give me a small amount of adjustment to get the length of the TRV shaft back exactly where it needs to be. If all of that goes as planned then I should be able to put the shaft and ps unit back in the machine and see what will be needed to mount the body of the ps unit solidly to the frame. I don't think that will be too bad. Then all that should be left is to put power to it and see if it works. I hope the controller from the Cobalt will work adequately. I don't expect it to be as great as they say the new Arctic Cat unit is. But if it works even reasonably well it think it will be a success. I guess time will tell. I will post more as I get time to proceed with the project. Wish me well!

Attachments

#22 ·
Looks like a pretty straight forward fab job.... a bracket/ hanger and maybe a bushing...

#23 ·
This is AWESOME!!! I'm absolutely loving this build up!!! Can't wait to so more :D

I think I can visualize what you have going on here. I have an idea though. Hopefully it's not to late. I'm not saying it's a good one though. What about welding a sprocket or gear onto both the PS shaft and the steering shaft. The you can connect the PS and Steering shafts either through gearing (which could help the PS unit) or with a good strong chain (like a timing chain). I'm sure there are good and bad to both the gear and chain ideas but it gives a little more for you to work with being as the area to build is so tight. Plus it might make the adapting easier.

Still pumped to see how yours turns out!!!!

#24 ·
I have the ps unit sitting in the machine right now and am working on the bracket the will secure it to the frame so it won't rotate. Hopefully I can finish the clamps tonight. I have run into a couple of hiccups along the way. But I think I'm about ready to paint everything, take pictures and permanently mount it into the chassis. I was disappointed to find out that I can't just power up the controller and have it work. It evidently is going to require a trigger signal of some kind to make it work. I haven't had much time to start working on that part yet. So far I have been able to obtain a wiring schematic from the GM service manual. But I still need more. I'll work on that after I get it mounted. In the mean time I will mount it in the machine and we can ride it with manual steering. The ps unit has almost no resistance to turning the handlebars without power to the motor. While it was apart I ordered a set of Sanny's bushings and did the mod to the front suspension. That should help as well.

In order to get my wife back on the trails we decided to go ahead and get her a new TRV 550 S GT and we will keep the '05 for our family to ride. We picked it up last week and hope to get her out for the maiden voyage Friday evening. I'll post some pics if we make it out.

I will still keep fussing with the ps conversion. I'd like to see if it can be made to work and I have always had a hard time admitting defeat on a project like this. There has to be a way. I just have to learn enough to figure it out.

#25 ·
Stick with it! Your doing more than any of us :) I think if you can iron this out, alot more people will be following your conversion to develop there own.

#26 ·
Just wondering how the tinkering is coming? I've been shopping around for my own PS unit at the wrecking yards. My local dealer has been tracking this build now too! Too Fun:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.