Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed brake pads today and the two inboard CV boots on the right side. The aftermarket boots I got from royal distributing sure seemed too small compared to the originals. I measured the inner diameter at the larger end and the aftermarket was 3/8" smaller, 2&1/4" compared to 2&5/8". It was a battle just to get them over the cv cups. Don't even get me started on the clamps they sent. Anyway if I had to do it again (and I may because I think they are so small that they wont hold up through the first ride) I would by the arctic cat replacements. I have used them before and they fit on easily and the clamps didn't make me get so angry that I almost went HULK.
The brake pads were EBC severe duty and they installed very easily. I didn't order a set for the foot brake and its a good thing because it is a different style pad (not shown in the royal catalog). I'm calling royal on monday to see if they are sure about their part no's. I know they screwed up before on the k&n filter and maybe that is the case here as well. Anyone else order aftermarket boots that seemed small?

WC

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good to know. I wrecked a CV boot last fall and I was considering getting an aftermarket boot. The Cat dealer was closer and I wanted to get it done as soon as possible so I went with the Cat replacement CV Boot Kit. Pretty pricey but I am glad now from your experience that I wont be doing the Royal replacements. And for me I don't think I could mail order one unless I was going to stock it on the shelf. The boots always go at the wrong time and need replacing "Right Now!"

I also use the EBC brakes that I order from a bike shop that we have here. I have never replaced the foot rear pads though. I guess I do not use them much. They are a different looking pad though. On the 2006 I think they went to all the same caliper pad setups. I don't know any part numbers....

Matt

:beer_cheers:

·
Registered
25 Posts
From what everybody tells me. AC makes the best CV boot. I've heard of some people using them on popo's. Poor boots. :tongue_nana: As far as brakes, The EBC's are great. On my 650, all four calipers use the same shoe. My wife's 400 uses a different shoe for the "beer brake".

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got a set from royal too.. never used them to small and the clamps suck.The ac boot kit comes with 4 good clamps .

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after 200km's the boots are still holding. I have been putting them through there paces and have had to chip the ice from around the boots a few times before going out for a ride and they seem to be holding up. The installation was still an issue but just wanted to clear my earlier post that questioned whether they would work or not.

WC

·
Registered
569 Posts
gorilla axle makes the best boots and clamps. Thats where i order all mine from.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at their site today. I think I may go that direction next time. I didn't see one of the heavy duty ones listed for the 500 but I'm sure they have them.

WC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts