Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting a new atv would like some advice on what machine to get. I have it down to 2. 2012 mud pro 700i for $8000 or 2011 4x4 550 efi with winch and plow included for $6600. Both are new will be used for trail riding flat land and plowing snow maybe pulling the kids around the yard on a sled. Any advice on what is the better value. I am a big guy 350 lbs...wondering if they will get the job done with me on it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm getting a new atv would like some advice on what machine to get. I have it down to 2. 2012 mud pro 700i for $8000 or 2011 4x4 550 efi with winch and plow included for $6600. Both are new will be used for trail riding flat land and plowing snow maybe pulling the kids around the yard on a sled. Any advice on what is the better value. I am a big guy 350 lbs...wondering if they will get the job done with me on it.

It all depends on your style of riding. Do you want the mud pro because it looks cool or are you going to use it for what it is? I see alot of people buy something and they hate it after a month of riding. I am 225 pounds so I got a little weight on myself to. I bought a Thundercat 1000cc machine and more then pleased with the power. One thing I do see is many posts asking how they can get more power out of there 700cc machines. If I were you I would look into the 1000cc machines. I would love to have a nice new 1000 TRV machine! It has a 2 up chassis for family and let me tell you this. A 2 up chassis is so much better felling climbing up steep trails or mountains then a shorter frame. You can add a raised radiator and a better snorkel kit as time goes on. There are a ton of pics and help on here to move you to the right directions to add upgrades.

·
Registered
5 Posts
95 zr580

hey i'm having similar problems my 95 efi starts and runs great until it warms up. then it goes into what i have been told is limp mode. wont move and blogs out and stalls if you hold the gas down. if you turn it off let it cool down it will run good again until it was up again. i have re placed ignition coil wires boots and plugs and still the same thing. i was told if it was the stator it would have problems starting.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I didnt read your post correctly. I thought you were looking into new ATV's. Both machines will do fine for what your doing but I would personally shop around alot more. I stuck to my guns and wanted a 1000cc machine because of the sheer power and proven performance. Mine is a 2009 and cost almost HALF what you would be payed for the mud pro

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have the 550, and it does everything I need it to (Plow, spray, toot around, give kids rides, pick apples, hunting, sitting in the shed, etc) and never once have I ran out of power. It really wasn't that long ago that Arctic Cat came out with the 454 bearcat and at the time it was the biggest ATV ever.

That said, I wish I had the 700. I have no idea why...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
hey i'm having similar problems my 95 efi starts and runs great until it warms up. then it goes into what i have been told is limp mode. wont move and blogs out and stalls if you hold the gas down. if you turn it off let it cool down it will run good again until it was up again. i have re placed ignition coil wires boots and plugs and still the same thing. i was told if it was the stator it would have problems starting.
I think you are in the wrong forum bud! But, maybe disconnect your TPS switch and see what happens.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the 550, and it does everything I need it to (Plow, spray, toot around, give kids rides, pick apples, hunting, sitting in the shed, etc) and never once have I ran out of power.

That said, I wish I had the 700. I have no idea why...

I agree the 550 is a good machine. heck my little 300 4x4 does everything you could want.

You want the 700 because your a MAN and power runs through our brain 24/7 lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 550 TRV and it has all the power that I need. If I was to buy another one though, it would be a 700 TRV. Just because.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It all depends on your style of riding. Do you want the mud pro because it looks cool or are you going to use it for what it is? I see alot of people buy something and they hate it after a month of riding. I am 225 pounds so I got a little weight on myself to. I bought a Thundercat 1000cc machine and more then pleased with the power. One thing I do see is many posts asking how they can get more power out of there 700cc machines. If I were you I would look into the 1000cc machines. I would love to have a nice new 1000 TRV machine! It has a 2 up chassis for family and let me tell you this. A 2 up chassis is so much better felling climbing up steep trails or mountains then a shorter frame. You can add a raised radiator and a better snorkel kit as time goes on. There are a ton of pics and help on here to move you to the right directions to add upgrades.

I agree , we have quite the "hill" (more of a steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep mountain full of rocks and roots), to climb to get to my stepdad's camp. In the past on my Brute 650i it took 4x4 full low lock and lots of body english to keep from flipping over backwards!! I'm not scared "to giver" so I've yet not to make it up................others ................well. With the Cat at first I put "her" in lo 4x4 lock and DIDN'T even spin and NO front end lift!!! After a few solo rides I rode to the top with no prob other than my wife beating me in the back 'cause she thought she was about to DIE!!! It was worth it when we were in the camp so peacful and quiet............the view in the fall is great.
Eventhough the camp is great the wife made me promise "we" were never under any circumstances to return.

·
Registered
456 Posts
almost everone wants more power but shop around and shop with your pocket book and not on whats the biggest meanest thing on the market unless that is what you have to have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts