Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I will be deploying overseas towards the end of this summer for a year and I am wondering how I should prep my two snowmobiles for long term storage? (Approx 22-24 months before I'll be riding again) They are both EFI's, so my main concern is fuel in the tank going bad, but if I remove it all I'm concerned about the seals drying out on the fuel pump. I typically fog the motors when I summerize them each year which I plan to do again, but what recommendations can you help me with? Do I keep the gas tank full or empty? Fuel additive? Remove drive belts? Etc..

I've summerized in the past many times, but never for something this long. Being overseas, I can't start them up periodically like I prefer to do. They will be stored inside a cold storage shed almost 2 years untouched :-(

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
317 Posts
On my carb sleds of your years I mostly drain the fuel add stabilizer run for a bit and manually empty the float bowls.
I don't think stabilizer would last that long, maybe you could try some Stihl(or other) chain saw fuel oil mix. Good for 5 years closed 2 years open.

Other then fuel I would do these things.

run engine spraying engine preservative into intake, maybe with previous mentioned stihl product.

Add straight 30 oil to the cylinders and pull over a few times, replace plugs.
Remove belt, use fluid film on clutches, clean off sheaves before use out of storage.
Use a light spray of fluid film in the entire engine bay
Use fluid film on shock towers, and all ball joints, steering bushings.

Grease all fittings and use fluid film on entire skid frame
Loosen track
lift rear off ground, lift front off ground and block under center pan.
rag in exhaust outlet

Fluid film is an excellent product, research it.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I would fog them, fill the tanks with zero-ethanol with stabilizer, remove belts, lift tracks off ground. Cover them. I might throw bounce around it and in the airbox if mice are a concern.

I never, ever start mine in the off season. Not being able to run them to operating temp just introduces moisture.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Before you fog it mix some Sta-Bil in a 3/4 full tank of fuel, that way it will run in the engine and go in all the injectors and lines, fog it down till it quits. Then siphon it down and spray some engine fogger in the tank real good and quick close the cap so it traps all that goo and fog in there. This is my kind of cosmoline method. Take the drive belt off, And spray the clutches with WD-40, all those steel pins in there can rust, the clutch faces can corrode. Lift the back off the ground and loosen the track. Take the hood off and tape up the intakes and tape shut the exhaust can to prevent critters from getting a free rent apartment in your sled. Put moth balls and dryer sheets all over the place to keep the critters away. Get some cedar chips or scrap cedar wood and dump it all under the track after it's in the air and leave it hang. The cedar chips will keep some moisture away. Put the skis on a couple of 2x 4's, the carbides will rust stain your floor. Cover them with a bed sheet, preferably white with no dye's, not plastic, that doesn't breath.

And have a good trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts