Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys for the questions. My two is-what is the easiest way to figure out the best setting? Example: Can i run the machine with the filter and cover off, and turn the jets until it runs perfect?

Question two. I dont see any gas going through the new dial-a-jet lines from the carbs. Is that normal?

Thanks again for all the help, it is appreciated!

·
Registered
369 Posts
where did you get the dial a jet and how much was it?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it from a member on atv connection for 50 bucks. But its about 120 i think from Thunder Products

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The gas level in the line between the dial a jet and the carb bowl will be at the same level as the gas in the bowl. It only gets gas from the dial a jet closer to full throttle. I don't know if its all the way down to half throttle or not but it does come down a bit. The dial a jet has most effect on the main jet circuit or that portion of the throttle response at least.
Running without the filter or cover will tell you what jetting is best for that condition. You want to check your jetting once you have the set up you want. ie 2" snorkle, k&n installed. I think with those two mods you may be close with the dial a jets set at the middle. Do a WOT plug chop and see if you are rich or lean then go from there. If the dial a jet can't get the adjustment you need change the main jet accordingly. Once you have that you can look at the needle portion (shim if neccessary) and the pilot jet if neccessary. If your jetting is off and you end up changing jets you may want to look at the dyno jet kit. I haven't used it but several others have and had great luck and some support from the company.

WC

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I was hoping with the dial a jet, i wouldnt have to rejet. Ive never even torn a carb apart in my life.

·
Registered
472 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Jan 11 2007, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the help. I was hoping with the dial a jet, i wouldnt have to rejet. Ive never even torn a carb apart in my life.[/b]

Check out this thread, "silentex" has your 2006 service manual in his sig for free download. This will give you step-by-step instructions on how to tear into your carb. Hope it helps...

2006 Service manual in sig

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
If you have the original jets in (122) and you have a 2" snorkle you should be perfect. Of course all are different and diverent elevations, but that is where mine is and one click away from full rich.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I ran 2" snorks and didn't rejet and was spot on. I'm at the same altitude as he is, so he'll be good. You won't be able to run it without the air filter and cover. Reason being is that you now are not restricting the air at all, so you are going to run VERY lean, and it'll pop and sputter like crazy. Won't work. It's a minor inconvenience, but you're going to have to adjust them, put the filter and cover back on. I just left my shroud off when I was setting it up. Made removal and installation of the filter/cover a snap.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Remember, a snorkel is controlling the amount of air that is allowed into the airbox, and the air filter will add a level of restriction. If you remove the filter and cover, you remove all restriction. If you theoretically tuned the DAJ for that condition, the minute you install the filter your tuning would be off. Then once you reinstall the cover, you "detune" it even further.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, its running. I dont have a manual (i bought it from a atv connection member). What is one notch from full rich? The dial turns, but it doesnt "click" into any place. How do i know what setting im at? Is there a notch im suppose to line the hole up with?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
It should be in the middle to start with. This way you will have ajustment up or down based on the altitude, temp. You can also cal thunder products tech support and they will help you. Thunderproducts.com

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The manual that was referred to earlier was the repair manual. It is pinned at the top of this forum. You can use that if any carb work is needed and it is an invaluable resource as time goes on.
You can call TPI (Thunder performance) and get a set of installation instructions I am sure and they may even be available on their website?
On my 500 the dial a jet is on the carb intake boot not inside the airbox. That confused me earlier when you talked about setting the dial a jet without the air filter or cover now I get it. There is a set screw of sort on the dial a jet that you loosen then line the arrow up with the gasline and you are in the middle position. It doesn't "click" when in position but you can feel it is in a "groove" where it has one of the air holes lined up.
Download the repair manual you will use it.

Good Luck

WC

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Jan 11 2007, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok, its running. I dont have a manual (i bought it from a atv connection member).[/b]
bang your head V2 have you no memory??? :( I gave you a copy of the manual for free, you didn't buy it. :tongue_nana:

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
One big question I have to ask after walkingcrow stated the above. Since it is a V-2 and you have to install in the air box (easiest), do you have the snokles for it? Clear tube with boots that go over the DAJ so it can breath outside air. See the pic below where you see clear tubes......do you have them on it? If not you will have to have them. Just wondering. If I remember right counter clockwise is full rich. Make sure you loosen the screw before you try and turn the dial. Lightly turn it and you can almost feel where it kind of snaps into place, but the hole on the top should be center with the screw, whichever size hole you adjust it to. The smaller the hole the richer mix it is that is facing the screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, one of the dials i can feel "click" on place. The other one just turns without the click feeling. I put them both on the smallest hole facing the screw. Its 1 degree outside, so its really cold. I havnt tried it yet. How do i know if its running to rich or lean? Last night, it was dark so i was having trouble looking at the dial. Anyway, at one setting, the carbs would pop and sputter. At another, it would hesitate a little at takeoff, and run good the rest.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Jan 12 2007, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok, one of the dials i can feel "click" on place. The other one just turns without the click feeling. I put them both on the smallest hole facing the screw. Its 1 degree outside, so its really cold. I havnt tried it yet. How do i know if its running to rich or lean? Last night, it was dark so i was having trouble looking at the dial. Anyway, at one setting, the carbs would pop and sputter. At another, it would hesitate a little at takeoff, and run good the rest.[/b]

Make sure it is warmed up good so you don't get a mis representation of what it is actually doing. Note where the other one you can feel the click is at and do the other the same. The hole should be right under the screw you use to loosen and tighten it down. I assume you have the snorkels, right?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The smallest hole is letting in the least amount of air to mix with the gas ie that is your richest setting. The largest hole is letting the most amount of air into the mix. ie your leanest setting. (is leanist a word?) Modn was bang on with the snorkel and fully clockwise is full rich. Arrow straight at the lockdown screw is middle setting and fully counterclockwise is full lean.
The tuning instructions say
"Test at full throttle in third gear. If midrange is poor and top end is good, the dial is set to lean(-). If midrange is good and top end is weak, the dial is set too rich (+).
If too rich: loosen fuel delivery tube one turn and turn the dial one click (-)
If too lean: loosen fuel delivery tube one turn and turn the dial one click plus(+)"

In both cases it says to make sure ratchet spur fully engages the dial and to lightly tighten the fuel delivery tube. (sounds confusing but I think they are talking about the "click" feeling and the "brass lockdown screw)

It goes on to say " Start at the richest dial position and work your way toward a leaner position one click at a a time. When you end up on the leanest dial setting to get the best running quality, it is an indicator that you need to drop a main jet size"

I believe you do need the snorkels is says in the snorkel installation instructions "do not route the snorkel vent line into airbox or place end of vent line immediately in front of the airbox intake." and without the snorkel you are drawing from the airbox.

The hesitation you talked about may be cured with the air/fuel mixture screw (easiest) or a size larger pilot jet (not as likely) The dial a jet doesnt affect the pilot circuit (from idle to 1/4 throttle)

I think when you feel you have it right you should do a plug chop before you ride it much to confirm your jetting is not too lean/rich. You really don't want to be lean.

Sorry about the long post all

WC

I tried to take some photo v2r but I don't know they are the tuning instructions.

[attachment=60525:picture_252.jpg]

[attachment=60526:picture_251.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks alot for the help!! And yes, i have them both snorkled. I suppose trying to get this dialed in when its below zero outside is pointless.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Jan 12 2007, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks alot for the help!! And yes, i have them both snorkled. I suppose trying to get this dialed in when its below zero outside is pointless.[/b]

Yup, that is tougher to do. Just make sure your plugs look good and not too lean. Honestly I would rather be running full rich at your temp. If it was me I would wait until you can dial it in when the temp is when you ride it most, then you can compensate with the dial a jet when warmer or colder (considerably) not 10-20°. Just my thoughts though. Mine right now will cough a little until it is fully warmed up, but I don't run it with partial choke either and it was 20° today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts