Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several posts about this, but still not seeing how I adjust the auto tensioner. I pulled the tensioner without putting the stop pin in, so it seems its now fully extended. I put everything back together, everything seems to be correct except for a lot of tension on the chain. I would think the "auto" tensioner would compensate itself by running, but I'm told it only applies more tension, not less. So I need to retract the tensioner, yes? How do I do this? Do I have to disassemble the tensioner or can the pin just be turned back in or something? I have the downloaded service manual, but it doesn't seem to address this specifically.
Sled is a 2000 zr600 efi with reverse, but I think the reverse may have been added.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
I took out all the auto adjusts I had and replaced it with a bolt. You can get the bolts from eBay. I think they are a hardened bolt. In some cases a grade 8 bolt from the local hardware store isn't long enough in the threaded area to work.

I have always just turned the threaded shaft (#20) with my fingers upon installation. The head (#23) on the end will end up being almost all the way into the threaded shaft #(20) and have the spring compressed all the way. You can turn (#24) all the way in to hold the shaft from turning. Then when its all assembled unloosen that screw and it will self adjust.

Best to put the manual adjusted bolt type in and be done with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
1- remove auto tensioner from chain case
2- remove the small bolt in the side of the body close to the large threads that screw into the chain case.
3- replace that screw with a longer 8-32 screw
4- screw the end of the threaded plunger back into the body. You will feel the resistance of the spring. then hold it there.
5- Tighten the 8-32 screw from step 3 to lock the plunger in place
6- put the entire tensioner back in the chain case and install the chain and gears and adjustment roller.
7- Remove the 8-32 screw and the plunger will extend itself the right amount.

All of this is in the service manual that you can download for free from the link in my signature. Might not have the exact year, but not much changed on most years.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, fixed it.
My copy of the manual doesn't say how to screw it in, just take it apart. Seems to work ok, don't think I had a tensioner problem so I'll leave it as is for the moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts