Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first time cleaning the carb and things looked pretty good. Counted the turns out and documented on paper the amount of turns out. Got new filter on and reinstalled carb and held it wide open for a while and hit the kill button and the plug looked pretty lean. Should I check with with the boy on the sled?
Does one turn of the main jet equal one size?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It usually takes more than running wide open for a few minutes to determine whether or not it is burning rich/lean. the adjustable main jet should be richer when turned out. I would turn it quite a way so that the engine is extremely rich, almost wont stay running or barely enough power to go. turn in to lean out until the "rich" stumble-miss goes away and performance is good. Continue to lean until performance is poor and count how much you turned it, might only be 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn. then richen again to the middle of the range staying on the rich side as it is easier to replace a spark plug than a piston. Being a 4 stroke it shouldnt do any damage when lean unless left that way for a REALLY long period. 4 strokes tend to stay running when rich and just smoke black and wont perform. when lean it tends to completely stall for a moment and then run again. I would do all of this with the boy riding and when it gets colder it will need to be richer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts