Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a single 10’ Triton snowmobile trailer I’m contemplating adding sides and a closed in front to. Getting an new enclosed trailer is not in the budget and can’t find a used 5x12 or 6x12. I really don’t want a third trailer as I also have a 4 place Aluma. My question is do you think 4 foot sides is enough to keep the road crap off sled? I won’t be able to put cover on sled. This would be bolt-on as I use trailer for quad and boat.

·
Super Moderator
8,312 Posts
Those sides would keep the big slop from hitting directly. It is pretty tough to keep all the salt off even with sides that high. The swirling will hit the sled. It gets to be a mess if you put on many miles on wet roads.

Have you looked at the canvas SnoCap style trailer enclosures? They are removable and still cover the sleds. I have not used them myself. Hopefully, someone else can chime in with their experience.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Favoritos, thanks for the idea. I googled them and saw one on a 10’ Triton. Issue would be modifying it to fit where skis hang over lead edge a foot. Need the sled that far forward for tongue weight. Rear of sled still overhangs 6”. It’ll mostly be used for my Bearcat.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
if you ain't adding front shield, your wasting your time IMO on sides, all the road slop from tow vehicle alone will cover sled and ski's
buy a good cover is the better money spent here, one that covers ski's as well a sled!
or save up and look for a covered trailer,

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There would be a front shield. It would have to angle up under skis, then angle back up along hood for at least 4 feet from tip. I got to do a lot of thinking on this as a new 6x12 enclosed w/ramp door is 6 grand up here.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'd look for a decent used clam shell, many in my area are sold for about 1200-1500 bucks
have to think in a more snow belt area in CA they too can be had cheaper than a new inline or??

yrs ago, a buddy of mine had a 8x18 ft open deck trailer, and he wanted a an enclosed and didn;t want to BUY one, so he built a enclosure around it with sheets of ply wood
it sure kept sleds dry, but was like towing a parachute, had it I think 7 ft all on walls and WOW was it heavy with all that wood sides and roof of treated plywood
one yr with it and he couldn;t sell it fast enough and bought a real 8.5x20 ft aluminum trailer
I towed it a few times and it was far from a fun trailer to tow

I again would suggest looking for a 12 ft clam shell, there not perfect, but they sure do keep sleds cleaner and tow pretty well behind almost any truck with decent mirrors

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m still contemplating materials to use and not be too heavy and last. Aluminum framing would be good but I can’t weld aluminum. Plywood walls are easy. I’ve read reviews on the sno caps and people have complained about towing a sail. I’m now leaning towards saving for an enclosed trailer with a decent used one coming up for sale.

·
Super Moderator
8,312 Posts
Didn't realize you were sticking the skis out the front.

I have made salt shields out of cheap treated plywood and steel. I tapered the front to fit skis like you show. Sure, the materials are not perfect. Didn't win any beauty contests either. They did what I intended though. I did not run with sides on the trailer. The salt shield did help a ton. Adding sides can't hurt.

I used one of those shields for about five years before selling the trailer. I did change out the bolts for SS after running a couple of seasons in slop.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
How about just putting a canvas cover on the machines. I had one for my Cat ATV's, but it always got borrowed, finally put it over my outside generator. If you do get covers, get ones made for trailering.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
best best is honestly saving up and buying a enclosed trailer, will make your life SO much easier and simpler and SO much cleaner on your sleds
I would shy away from a canvas trap or likes as wind will make it flap like mad and mark up your sleds, and or tear or come off, plus, as slush and water build on it , it can freeze in funny shapes and or again tear as you try to remove it
they make and sell GOOD sled covers that protect WAY better than a tarp will, not as cheap, but would be the next best bet to an enclosed trailer

even Clam shells are not perfect, many leak and tops can freeze to decks, , just so you know
I used to(still do) carry a small propane torch in my truck to help if needed, I carry it now mostly due to have had locks freeze on me and well, couldn;t open my handles on my enclosed trailer now LOL
NOTHING is perfect, but a enclosed trailer is a whole better option for hauling sleds than covers

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more I think about this, the more I’m leaning towards an enclosed trailer. This would be for my Bearcat which is mainly used for ice fishing. I can leave all my equipment on it, drive in and lock it up. DONE!!!. In the off season it will be the storage shed for it and all my winter gear.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
It's been my experience, that if you put a front shield on it, you would only need to go back to about the footwells of the running boards with the trailer sides. I think you're on the right track. Coming up with that front shield appears to be the most difficult to me.

FWIW, a clamshell trailer (2 place) pulls pretty hard, as in fuel mileage. It's not the weight, but the width of that shell. If you pull one sled often, I would continue down the path you're on, unless you can find a single place trailer with an enclosure.

In the rare times that I only haul one sled, I use my open 2 place trailer, with a salt shield on the front, and oem canvas sled cover. I put the sled in the middle of the trailer, and narrow the shield down to just one sled's width, to help with mileage. This helps a ton in keeping the sled clear and wind resistance.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It might be kind of obvious,but have you thought about just getting a waterproof cover for the sled?

No I have not. I do have OEM Cat cover but since building rack on back it doesn’t fit as good and tight. My last 9 hour trip last March nearly destroyed it rubbing through in 6 places.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
No I have not. I do have OEM Cat cover but since building rack on back it doesn’t fit as good and tight. My last 9 hour trip last March nearly destroyed it rubbing through in 6 places.
On that note, one of the sleds I bought in the past came with a cover that covered the skis also. It would be a great option for what you're considering. Can't remember if the cover was oem or not.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
On that note, one of the sleds I bought in the past came with a cover that covered the skis also. It would be a great option for what you're considering. Can't remember if the cover was oem or not.
the covers that cover the ski's from all I know of are NON OEM covers, and NONE Of them are really water proof, the better one's are heavy canvas and form fitting,a s any cover that is loose, on a 9 hr tow will get to flapping a lot and wear thru in places due to poor fitting and slop
then a cover will and build up with ice and slush on top of it, salt water will bleed thru and we all know what salt does to metal if not removed and removing ALL of it, is never easy!

add in this info to think about, if your having a issue getting your sled with auger on it, on a TILT deck trailer, your going to have the same issue on a TILT deck clam shell trailer, and even the one's with RAMPS< might be too steep of a ramp for you
the ONLY way to get a lower ramp will be to get a trailer that is NOT a deck over tires model
like an IN line, OR a single place trailer that decking runs BETWEEN the tires

if all you really need to haul is ONE sled
you MIGHT be way better off building a single place trailer and enclose it, say like a 6x12 ft wooden deck trailer with metal rails, they can be had in my area for about 700 bucks used or less, enclose the front and sides,, low ramp to drive in and back out of
won't be super sealed up or dry, but would IMO be alot better than a salt shield on a two place, and better than a cover, BUT you can also add a cover inside it
be rather ugly to look at and might be some of a kite to tow, but will maybe be the cheapest idea here
and sure WON"T be an aluminum framed trailer, so in time, it will get destroyed by road salt if not well cleaned and cared for

a decent single places snowmobile trailer will be COSTLY, they are far from cheap
BUT a steel framed small enclosed trailer with NON snowmobile wording in title might be half the price, but again your back to the worry;'s of road salt issue's

a inline might be the best one to find used for a deal in say a 7x16-17-18 like size, as there way more common

LAST< and just so you know, STORING a sled in an enclosed trailer is never the best idea,(yes many do it) but trailer hold moisture and heat , they DO NOT vent very well, and can be a LOT harder on a sled's seals and bearings, holding that moisture inside them with it
air flow is just too limited, unless your leaving all doors open and such? and that defeats the plan to most! as then you end up with critters living in trailer and well, many like to eat wires insulation that do, or nest INSIDE exhaust and air intakes, making for costly problems!
just info here, and things to think about!

·
Super Moderator
8,312 Posts
I have run with covers for years. Liners do help some if the cover stays tight. I have learned that if it moves at all in the wind, it will tear. Another problem with any flapping in the wind is the fact that air is getting inside too. The road slop comes in with the air. The debris in road slop is brutal on sled finishes especially if the cover is moving. I used extra straps with OEM covers to hold them tight. It took a few times to get the straps right. I just watched in the mirrors for any movement of the cover. Pulled over and added or moved the straps until I got it right.

Not sure how bad your current cover is torn. I have patched covers with tears. It might be an option to try the cover again if you can keep it tight after the repairs.

Just trying to save you a few bucks before you buy a trailer. :thumbguy:

BTW, it seems like there are a lot less options for good covers now. There used to be some really good aftermarket options that held tight and covered more of the sled.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of feedback for me guys! Thanks for that. Attached is a crude drawing of what I want to accomplish. The front portion will be totally closed in and go up 4 feet. Sides will continue to back or possibly not as far. The pointy thing sticking out of top is sled windshield. I would have no issue getting on sled if sides went all the way back. I need all this to bolt on as I use trailer in summer for something else. I have attached pics of my sled setup. Lots of room for auger to fit between sides. Power head is in black box. I have also attached pic of my summer setup. I had my cover sewn up already but if this build is successful, it may be a dust cover in storage shed.
IMG_1810.jpg
IMG_1808.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What about these? I only mention it because I saw an advertisement for it on this forum while browsing this thread. I've never used one so?? I have an open double tilt trailer with splash guard and factory covers for my 2 cats.

Sport Series SnoCaps
favoritos mentioned those earlier. No Canadian dealers and a little far to drive plus USD exchange.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
9 Participants
660catman
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing